wheat belly

Options
Just read Wheat Belly and wonder if anyone has tried this and if you are successful?

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Read it a while ago, by all accounts it's scare-mongering.

Unless you have a diagnosed issue then there is no reason to, or metabolic magic in, restricting anything.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    The author is selling a low carb book and wheat with it's current controversy is a great marketing tool to disguise his low carb stance......smart, all the way to the bank.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Read it a while ago, by all accounts it's scare-mongering.

Unless you have a diagnosed issue then there is no reason to, or metabolic magic in, restricting anything.

This.

No need to cut things out of your diet unless there is a medical need to do so. I've read the book... I think it's pretty much all crap. Don't waste time or money reading most diet books that are telling you a food group or ingredient is wrong.

Everyone seems to think now they shouldn't have gluten or wheat because it causes problems for SOME people.
  • sunshinefunk
    sunshinefunk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It has the diet book feel, but also makes some good points. I think I'm in really good shape except for my belly sticks out, so I'm ready to try anything!
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    Sunshine - does your belly stick out all the time, or is it especially after eating grains? I'm celiac - gluten intolerant. If I have too much bread, you can see my stomach swell... then I'm uncomfortable for a long time after. Unless you have those types of issues, there shouldn't be a need to cut those things.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I started reading it about 2 months ago but just couldn't get through it. I just didn't respond well to the author's way of getting points across & I lost confidence in just about everything he said due to that.

However, I am as low carb as it gets, (<30 g per day) no starch, no sugar. After implementing that plan, I introduced a small amount of 'healthy whole grain' as a snack & felt bloated & crappy the rest of the day. That alone was enough for me to swear off grains.

It wasn't due to the book though :ohwell: Gary Taubs is another one that just totally turned me off. :huh: While I do believe in the principals of both of these author's theories/ideas, it was *not* because of anything they've said, oddly enough, quite the contrary. :wink:
  • sunshinefunk
    Options
    Nino, it does seem worse after eating grain, especially cereal, thick crust pizza, or white bread. The author of wheat belly also suggests skin problems, such as acne and dandruff could be a reaction to wheat. I have mild types of both, so it might be worth a try?
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend read the book and tried it. About a week in he gave up, bought a Paleo book and we've been Paleo ever since.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I tried it, read it. He advocates completely eliminating, not just wheat, but:

Corn
    Starches
    Potatoes
    A lot of fruit
    Some veggies
    Rice
    Soy sauce
    Milk
    Cheese

Plus, mainly avoid meats, too. This isn't even a complete list!

Basically it's vegan and even extreme for vegans.

It made me nearly quit working on my bod. For me, it's unsustainable.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ive done low carb and got good results initially, but long term it is hard and unrealistic. Not saying doesn't work for some, it just didn't for me. I am trying so hard to get stronger and gain muscle and I need that extra starchy carb to help with energy. With that being said my starchy carbs are usually steel cut oats, couscous, or quinoa or things of that nature. If it is going to be something you yo-yo with I wouldn't bother. I gained after I got off of the low carb which made it a worse experience.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I still usually don't eat bread, but being told I can NEVER have it again is a sure fire way to make me nuts.
  • YumeSerket
    Options
    I haven't read the book and risk sounding irrelevant here but assuming you are asking about cutting out starch (specifically bread) I can answer such a question.

Cutting out starch honestly has helped me lose a lot of weight (I started out weighing more than my ticker says). Cutting it also helps beat the bloat. Hence, why some fruits are also cut out in the 'Wheat Belly' diet. Fruits when eaten in large quantities do make you bloat, believe me, I know. But your body gets used to it and after awhile or regular large-quantity fruit eating your body will stop bloating from it. Point being, I've always found high-starch foods such as bread and pasta to be completely different. Once I realized this, I cut my already lessened intake of starch right off.

No more bread for me. No more pasta. And, guess what? I've finally lost my belly. It is gone; flat. I feel better than I ever did. It was hard at first with plenty of trial and error but well worth it.

So if this answers anything my grand point is go for the 'Wheat Belly' lifestyle. If not, then oops.
  • cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    eh, I read it and I couldn't do it. I love cheese my wraps, and my occasional sub.
    I think this eating is way more than low carb
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It's scare mongering and psuedo science at its best. It is designed to have the look and feel of real science, when what it really has are a couple of facts that are twisted and mangled so it looks as though they are somehow connected.

I don't have the links right now, but I have seen pages on the internet where this book and type of thinking altogether was debunked.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I started to read it but couldn't finish it. I've been gluten free for over a year because I am intolerant and have reactions to it. However, in that year I did not lose any weight just by going gluten free, which means I was wheat free by default. In fact, I gained weight while I was experimenting with creating all these gluten free alternatives to the foods I had eaten before. I am grain free now because I still have some food intolerance issues that I'm trying to pin point so I end up being lower carb by default but I still don't think I'll magically lose weight because of it. Although, I am not eating as many calories because I get satisfied with a lot less it seems.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I dropped wheat (I am diabetic and 58) and didn't notice a lot. Then I dropped ALL grains. The weight started moving down again and I got more benefits that I ever imagined. Seasonal allergies and the daily claritin went AWAY. I haven't had a headache since I dropped the grains--seriously. My constant gassy tummy became UNgassy. I used to sleep 12-14 hours a day and still feel tired. Now I can get by on 5-7 hours/night and I work out like crazy (never under 90 minutes--most days 2 hours). I feel fantastic. I eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein. I dropped my a1c and my cholesterol (40 points) in 4 months.

I don't consider anything about my WOE a fad--so please don't start attacking me for it. I feel good. My numbers are good. Low-Carb haters--enjoy your diet plan and leave me to mine--please. I tried numerous plans before I got to the one that works for me.

OP--I'm not telling you what to do, only reporting my personal success. Good luck.
  • sunshinefunk
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! I will be lowering my wheat intake because I feel better when I do, but I don't think I can go completely wheat free and maintain it for the rest of my life.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've been minimizing wheat (haven't cut out completely) and it has helped me restart weight loss after a plateau. So, big fan! But I haven't read the book. I'm also trying to keep sugar on the low side.

It doesn't have to be low carb, though. Potatoes, rice, certain veggies, etc...all have carbs. All I would say is try it and see how you feel. Mostly it helps you cut out a bunch of processed crap and empty calories like bread.
    being told I can NEVER have it again is a sure fire way to make me nuts
    Ha! Same. That's why I say I'm 'minimizing' X, Y or Z. Ultimately, it's silly to worry about someone telling you you can't have X, because it's all in your control unless you are deathly allergic.
    I gained weight while I was experimenting with creating all these gluten free alternatives to the foods I had eaten before
    Good point. If you do it cut out wheat, I wouldn't try to create fake versions of bread, etc...Just cut it out. If you look at the calorie counts for meals without, you'll be amazed that a big hunk of steak and some veggies is actually really low cal when you don't eat the bread. That's been my biggest revelation.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I dropped wheat (I am diabetic and 58) and didn't notice a lot. Then I dropped ALL grains. The weight started moving down again and I got more benefits that I ever imagined. Seasonal allergies and the daily claritin went AWAY. I haven't had a headache since I dropped the grains--seriously. My constant gassy tummy became UNgassy. I used to sleep 12-14 hours a day and still feel tired. Now I can get by on 5-7 hours/night and I work out like crazy (never under 90 minutes--most days 2 hours). I feel fantastic. I eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein. I dropped my a1c and my cholesterol (40 points) in 4 months.

I don't consider anything about my WOE a fad--so please don't start attacking me for it. I feel good. My numbers are good. Low-Carb haters--enjoy your diet plan and leave me to mine--please. I tried numerous plans before I got to the one that works for me.

OP--I'm not telling you what to do, only reporting my personal success. Good luck.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm also T2D, 45 yrs old and grain free and feel better than I have in years. Just didn't particularly care for the author's style. It really *did* sound like far fetched fear mongering to me, but I'm after tight control, so this means grains, even 'healthy' whole grains are out for me.