1,200 calories and strength training?

Options
Hi, I’m 4 ft 11 and currently weigh 60kg and want to lose 2 stone and build a nice shape while losing if that’s possible. Do you think that’s a good idea? Or should I eat more if I’m gonna work out. (I won’t be going to the gym, just doing strength workouts at home from YouTube)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It will depend how active you are. It might be a bit light but you could monitor your progress and add mor calories if you are losing too fast.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Exercise and a calorie deficit go great together. If you’re not eating enough then you probably won’t see the results you want to and you may feel tired and workouts will become difficult.

1200 is the lowest you should ideally take your calories so maybe try slightly a larger amount (1400-1500?) to see if you will lose weight on that first that way you have some wiggle room if your weight loss plateaus. The other advice would be to try and eat back your exercise calories especially if you’re cutting to 1200.

Good luck! And I’ve found that my weight maintains or increases the day after I’ve worked out so don’t panic if it takes a while to see results. Also keep in mind that if you’re working to gain muscle, muscle is more compact than fat so whilst the scale may seem to move slowly, you may see a bigger difference in measurements/how your clothes fit/how toned you look
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Our stats are somewhat similar though I don’t know your age. I have MFP set to sedentary since I have a desk job and at age 52, female, 5’1”, 135.6 lbs, my calorie target is 1220 calories for a 0.5 lb per week loss. I incorporate a lot of exercise because of my running training plan. I also have my Fitbit connected to MFP so that I know my exercise calories. With my exercise I end up eating closer to 1500-1600 daily calories on an average day.

Strength training is good to help you minimize muscle loss while in a deficit. I’d encourage you to take a slow approach since your current weight puts you already close to a healthy weight for your height. The 0.5 lb per week goal is good for your current goals IMO. I believe eating exercise calories back is the best strategy to properly fuel your workouts. I’d encourage you to track exercise calories as well.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sweepy1234 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m 4 ft 11 and currently weigh 60kg and want to lose 2 stone and build a nice shape while losing if that’s possible. Do you think that’s a good idea? Or should I eat more if I’m gonna work out. (I won’t be going to the gym, just doing strength workouts at home from YouTube)

Eat more and have more energy to work out, or eat less and don't work out so hard. I eat a lot cus I like training hard, doesn't mean you have to