225lbs lost, gained some back.

Options
I originally lost 225lbs! Now after 5 years of maintenance I’m sitting at 192lbs lost. (My lowest weight was 130. I’m now 163)

Over the years stress, school, kids, work.... and my less than motivated self caused me to gain some back. I’m glad it wasn’t the entire amount lost, but it’s still hard to keep myself always on the right track. But I’m happy to report I’ve been back on the wagon for a month now and doing well!

I have to keep reminding myself that I still did amazing and can continue to do so now.

Anyone else have massive loss with some regain? Trying to re-lose is way harder than the original losing I think!

Replies

• keytracker51
    keytracker51 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is harder to relose weight than the original loss. I too lost 220 pounds initially but after four years and some pretty serious health issues, I gained back 26 of those pounds. Now it has been three months of daily exercising and following the designated caloric intake on MFP. I have relost zero. I want to lose only about 15 pounds.

After reviewing my goals on MFP, I decided to lower my current activity level (which is really an oxymoron because I am more active than I was at my heaviest weight). But if my BMI is about half of what it was prior to my 220 pound loss, it makes sense that my caloric intake now has to be based on where it was when I hit my lowest weight. Basically, I think the algorithm needs to look at BMI more so in the calculation than activity level. My activity level is slightly higher now and let's face it, most of us can't spend half the day at the gym so it must be that my caloric intake is too high and the quantity and quality of time I spend exercising is too short a time period to cause me to loss weight at my current level.

I don't believe in magic fixes but I do believe in scientific and mathematical calculations for determining calories intake versus calories burned is my
    biggest stumbling block. By making my latest change I think I need to eat 150 calories less per day and exercise an additional 30 minutes at a higher intensity level. If that does not lead me to lose weight, then I am stumped and a little frustrated. But right now, I think I may have identified my problem.

You may want to check what activity level you have listed on your goals screen. It makes me feel better to try and find a logical reason why I am not relosing weight and then correct that problem.

Sorry this reply runs on so much but your and my issue sounds very similar. There must be a logical and scientific reason. I think it lies in the MFP algorithm not those of us people trying to move from obesity into a normal range by reducing the BMI.

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Um. As I see it, you’ve KEPT off 193#. That’s HUGE. As a person who has kept off 193#, you know what it takes to lose weight.
    The amount you’ve kept off is 6x+ the amount of regain.
    Maybe you initially went lower than you can sustainably maintain, given your lifestyle and activity?
    Maybe it’s totally possible to get happily and healthily back down, and just requires some extra movement and a bit tighter of tracking or whatever it is that works for you.
    I have yet to see my initial low again. Not sure I want to- I’m super fit and have a life I can maintain.
    In any case - AWESOME that you’re maintaining such significant reduction.
    My advice? Focus on the wins, find a physical non-weight-related goal, something performance based or ‘3x per week based’ or whatever.
    And enjoy your success!!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I lost 108 but have regained 14. I’m working on getting it back off as well. I quit vaping and that certainly affected my maintenance. It’s been about 2 years since I lost the weight. I refuse to go back. Watching my macros has helped some as I started allowing myself too much sugar etc. Adding more veggies and protein is helping.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have done fantastic! You have a lot to be proud of! Good luck on losing again.
  • The_Wallflower
    The_Wallflower Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Um. As I see it, you’ve KEPT off 193#. That’s HUGE. As a person who has kept off 193#, you know what it takes to lose weight.
    The amount you’ve kept off is 6x+ the amount of regain.
    Maybe you initially went lower than you can sustainably maintain, given your lifestyle and activity?
    Maybe it’s totally possible to get happily and healthily back down, and just requires some extra movement and a bit tighter of tracking or whatever it is that works for you.
    I have yet to see my initial low again. Not sure I want to- I’m super fit and have a life I can maintain.
    In any case - AWESOME that you’re maintaining such significant reduction.
    My advice? Focus on the wins, find a physical non-weight-related goal, something performance based or ‘3x per week based’ or whatever.
    And enjoy your success!!

Yes! I think that’s exactly right. At 130 I almost looked sick (in my opinion) so I definitely think I went lower than anticipated. :)
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I regained some weight that I lost but realize Im happier a little heavier.
    193 pound weight loss is amazing!!!!
  • The_Wallflower
    The_Wallflower Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I initially lost 150 lbs but hated how I looked & felt at 120 lbs. After several bulk & cut cycles, I’m now at 118 lbs lost, sitting at 160 lbs and feel sooo sooo much happier.

To your post though, The_Wallflower, if you’re profile picture is you now, you look gorgeous & I hope you’re incredibly proud of how far you’ve come!!! You are an absolute rockstar in my eyes!!! 🤩💖🌟✨💪💕

It is a current of me!! Thank you so much!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!