Improving insulin sensitivity?

Options
Without eating anything, exercise first thing on an empty stomach: according to https://physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpendo.00163.2018
To conclude, eating breakfast (vs. fasting) before exercise increases postexercise plasma glucose disposal rates, but this is offset by increases in appearance rates of (mainly) orally ingested glucose, a result that does not appear to be explained by a greater intestinal damage response to the exercise. We showed that preexercise breakfast consumption lowers insulinema at meals that are consumed after exercise, providing new evidence that the second meal effect is maintained even when exercise is performed between eating occasions.

I have never done this. I struggle to get up and exercise, it is easier for me in the afternoon. I may try it as I get closer to my goal weight and the extra pounds become more stubborn. This might be a good way of mixing it up, and improving my blood markers.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    As I posted in your other thread, small sample size and further study needed.

Exercise, low carb diet, intermittent fasting and weight loss all can improve insulin sensitivity.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Try it and see. It will be great if it works for you too.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Try it and see.

I have cultivated a lifelong lifestyle of being a slacker in the morning. It is not so much 'eating' it is getting up and immediately doing something. But, yeah, I am considering giving it a try.
  • rumbaimom
    rumbaimom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested IF to me be because of high insulin levels in my blood work/insulin resistance. I’m only 50 days in but it’s working for me.