Fed Up Movie - hidden sugars

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    boldknee wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I just really amuses me about how people want to demonize sugar as the devil... I don't drink soft drinks regularly (I might have 1 or 2 a year and those more often than not will be diet drinks), I don't drink sweet tea and I rarely eat dessert - yet I was obese! Where's all that sugar that made me fat?!?!?!?

I also don't demonize sugar, but did you eat in restaurants? Because many restaurant meals that look like regular food contain the equivalent sugar of several candy bars (60-80 grams). Most of this is not from fruits and veggies but rather from sugar laden sauces and dressings. Even a whole day of my diet where I eat a generous amount of fruits and veggies doesn't top 40 g of sugar. So, the " hidden" or "added" sugar issue is not a hoax.

Of course, these meals also contain huge amounts of fat and salt and calories. It's no mystery on how to make food highly palatable - just add in lots of sugar and fat and salt. That's the main "secret" that chefs and food designers know.

I don't get how restaurant food that contains sugar is irregular.

Also, it's not hidden if you know how to read an ingredients list. If there's THAT much sugar in something it has to be listed.

ALSO, added is not the same as hidden.

I don't know how old the referenced documentary is, but restaurants didn't used to provide nutritional info like they do now, so " hidden" was a more correct term at one time.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I just really amuses me about how people want to demonize sugar as the devil... I don't drink soft drinks regularly (I might have 1 or 2 a year and those more often than not will be diet drinks), I don't drink sweet tea and I rarely eat dessert - yet I was obese! Where's all that sugar that made me fat?!?!?!?

I also don't demonize sugar, but did you eat in restaurants? Because many restaurant meals that look like regular food contain the equivalent sugar of several candy bars (60-80 grams). Most of this is not from fruits and veggies but rather from sugar laden sauces and dressings. Even a whole day of my diet where I eat a generous amount of fruits and veggies doesn't top 40 g of sugar. So, the " hidden" or "added" sugar issue is not a hoax.

Of course, these meals also contain huge amounts of fat and salt and calories. It's no mystery on how to make food highly palatable - just add in lots of sugar and fat and salt. That's the main "secret" that chefs and food designers know.

How many examples can you give of meals intended to be savory that have 60-80 grams of sugar? Stay away from anything with the word honey because those are expected to have a higher sugar content.

I had Logan Roadhouse on the brain because I just met someone there for lunch and it was mentioned in another post I was reading. This national chain has NO entree food with that much sugar and to get even close you have to look at the beverages.

ETA: I just checked Famous Dave because BBQ is well known for having a lot of brown sugar in it. Once again not one single serve entree had that much sugar. Certainly more sugar than you get from other types of food but not 60-80.

ETAA: It occurs to me that breakfast food will have more sugar but I believe that is not really a shock to anyone.

The article I found online was a few years old. Most of the meals were salads (from the dressing), breakfast as you mentioned, BBQ, or Asian. It's possible that the recent requirement to list nutrition info has actually had the effect that restaurants have reduced some of the sugar in their entrees.

As I said, I didn't see the movie. I don't demonize sugar. However, I don't deny that people often don't realize that sugar is in a lot of foods that don't seem like dessert and it is possible to get a lot of added sugar without drinking much soda or eating much dessert.

Remember that the vast majority of people are incredibly ignorant about nutrition. Perhaps the real cause of obesity is our hatred of knowledge. 😁
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

How many examples can you give of meals intended to be savory that have 60-80 grams of sugar? Stay away from anything with the word honey because those are expected to have a higher sugar content.

I had Logan Roadhouse on the brain because I just met someone there for lunch and it was mentioned in another post I was reading. This national chain has NO entree food with that much sugar and to get even close you have to look at the beverages.

ETA: I just checked Famous Dave because BBQ is well known for having a lot of brown sugar in it. Once again not one single serve entree had that much sugar. Certainly more sugar than you get from other types of food but not 60-80.

ETAA: It occurs to me that breakfast food will have more sugar but I believe that is not really a shock to anyone.

The article I found online was a few years old. Most of the meals were salads (from the dressing), breakfast as you mentioned, BBQ, or Asian. It's possible that the recent requirement to list nutrition info has actually had the effect that restaurants have reduced some of the sugar in their entrees.

As I said, I didn't see the movie. I don't demonize sugar. However, I don't deny that people often don't realize that sugar is in a lot of foods that don't seem like dessert and it is possible to get a lot of added sugar without drinking much soda or eating much dessert.

Remember that the vast majority of people are incredibly ignorant about nutrition. Perhaps the real cause of obesity is our hatred of knowledge. 😁

Well... that's the price people pay when they outsource food preparation to the "industry"....
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I eat a salad with peanut dressing. It's a) 2 tbsp (2g of sugar, 3 carb) or b) 2 tbsp (8 g of sugar, 9 carb) or c)2 tbsp (10 g of sugar and 11 carbs). I doubt if a person could tell the difference.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    I go over my sugar MFP goal a lot.

Because I eat a lot of fruit.

It's the sugar in 'healthy' things that people often find surprising; if I eat three huge pears in a day (which I quite often do, because I like pears and the ones we get delivered at work are massive) then I've had sugar equivalent to two doughnuts. And sugar is sugar.

Of course, the doughnuts are more fattening. But that's nothing to do with the sugar, it's because they're full of fat. And that's the same for chocolate and cake and most other foods that are demonised for their sugar content as well.