Options
Hello everyone. I’m starting MFP again after not having much success on Weight Watchers program. Has anyone had great success with this program as compared to WW? It just seems easier to me to count calories vs points.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Counting is pretty easy as the app does all that for you. The tricks are *consistency* and *accuracy.* Buy a food scale and measure how much of everything you eat. Every meal. Every day. Stay in a reasonable deficit and the weight will come off.

Building the habit of measuring all your food accurately takes time and practice. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it may be more intuitive to you than WW.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with weight watchers. What I like about MFP is the leeway that is possible. By all means, get and use a (digital food scale). It makes a difference. Good portioning will also allow you to have foods you enjoy. 2 ounces of (for me no sugar added) ice cream tastes just as good as 4 or more. And each exercise you and add will add calories to your remaining total. Good luck with it.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I am familiar with WW as many family members use it, but for me MFP is just simpler, and I appreciate how much I learned about macros and caloric intake with MFP.
    No system is easy, one still needs to find the strength to stick to a plan and make some changes in their habits but I can't find too many faults with MFP.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Just to be clear about something, MFP isn't a program in the WW sense.

There are no rules, or guidelines, or do's and don'ts, etc. There's no plans, approaches or advice (beyond this forum) as such or things to stick to.

MFP is essentially a fancy food diary where you can track what you're eating. What MFP does could be pretty much done with a notebook and a calculator. Only MFP makes it way way way easier.

The benefit of MFP is that it does a lot of the extra diary/logging work for you. It will provide you with an appropriate calorie target based on your information (provided you choose a sensible rate of loss). It will provide you with an extensive (some might say too extensive) database of foods. When you enter food it will do all the calculating for you.

What it won't do is explicitly tell you what to eat, when to eat, how to eat, etc. It just gives you the tools you need so you can make those decisions for yourself.

G'luck