PMS

Options
New to pro fitness app. I have no appetite while dealing with PMS should I give me self a break or push to intake my daily calories 1200. I’m 47 starting weight 26 weeks ago was 180 , I haven’t weighed myself but feel like I’m loosing little. Height 5’1. Suffer from IBS so when I first started typing in my calories 3 yrs ago i had a hard time eating enough, how the heck could I be overweight . Anyway I’m following the makers diet now for the first time in my life I’m eating breakfast and able to meet calories on most days . I am feeling better eating more than ever and feel like I’m loosing weight.

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I have pernicious anemia and iron anemia and frequently have no appetite at all - or even spend the entire day fighting nausea. If I've been meeting my calorie goals leading up to "an episode," I usually give myself a break on either macros and fill in my calories with a milkshake or other nutritionally empty dessert (all fat and sugar) OR I make up the calories over the next couple days by adding on an extra 100-200 calorie snack here and there.

Honestly, it doesn't appear to make much difference when you get your calories in, as long as you try to get them in that same week. (Going beyond the week leads me to back sliding into old, bad habits, so I give myself room to adjust, as long as I remain on top of making the adjustment.)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    New to pro fitness app. I have no appetite while dealing with PMS should I give me self a break or push to intake my daily calories 1200. I’m 47 starting weight 26 weeks ago was 180 , I haven’t weighed myself but feel like I’m loosing little. Height 5’1. Suffer from IBS so when I first started typing in my calories 3 yrs ago i had a hard time eating enough, how the heck could I be overweight . Anyway I’m following the makers diet now for the first time in my life I’m eating breakfast and able to meet calories on most days . I am feeling better eating more than ever and feel like I’m loosing weight.

Rather than feeling like you're losing weight it's probably easier to weigh yourself and find out. I eat maintenance for a couple of days when I have bad PMS but that's because I am absolutely certain I am in a deficit the rest of the time because my weight is trending downwards accordingly.

• florenceslice631
    florenceslice631 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the helpful advice & that was a type . I’ve been on a streak of 26 days not weeks ( haha feels like weeks sometimes ) tried the app 3 years ago gave up all too soon but I’m back now . Trying to educate myself the best I can with weight loss concerns. How often do you weigh yourself ? Don’t want to get discouraged ?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Weight is just data you need to calibrate the new lifestyle you're building for yourself. I generally weigh myself every time I'm in my home bathroom without my clothes on (1-2 times a day?) because it's interesting to me.

Due to my medical conditions, I retain water like a camel, so I tend to collect lots of data points, watch for trends (using my scale app) and really get to KNOW and UNDERSTAND my body as much as possible.

I know I gain 3-5 lbs of water weight after a weight lifting workout, and I know it takes about 2 days for that water to fade off.

I know I gain 2-3 lbs just be fore "that time of the month" and they retreat as I finish up with all the bother.

I know pizza is delicious but salty and it'll have me holding an extra pound or two of water the day I eat it, even if I stay in calorie deficit. It fades off in a day or two, as long as I return to my normal patterns of eating.

I also know, for whatever reason, my lowest weight of any given week is usually on Tuesday.... I still really haven't figured that one out.

I don't judge the number. It's just data.

If you're capable of that mindset, you can learn some really cool stuff about yourself, but if it's triggering to you, maybe look into other methods of checking your progress. Sometimes a combination of methods helps keep things in perspective.

What ever works for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thanks for all of the helpful advice & that was a type . I’ve been on a streak of 26 days not weeks ( haha feels like weeks sometimes ) tried the app 3 years ago gave up all too soon but I’m back now . Trying to educate myself the best I can with weight loss concerns. How often do you weigh yourself ? Don’t want to get discouraged ?

I weigh every day and log it into Happy Scale on my phone. (Before I had a smart phone I charted in a spreadsheet.) I log new lows into MFP. This happens a week after my period starts.

Weighing every day is how I learned that I retain water when I ovulate, in addition to premenstrually.

I also have water retention after eating Chinese food and lifting weights.

Because I weigh every day and use Happy Scale to smooth out the fluctuations, they don't discourage me.