Exercising with pelvic floor disorders?

Options
To preface this post, I must add I have not been diagnosed yet with PFD. But I have been exhibiting some symptoms: lower back (and sciatic) pain, pelvic heaviness (especially when I need to bend down to lift something/or after a day of physical labor), frequent urination. I feel spasms through my pelvic floor (no pain) when I sneeze.

A lot of these symptoms went away when I exercised for awhile (almost 2 months). After that I went off the bandwagon for awhile owing to work and moving to a new apartment, and got really sedentary. I am obese with a BMI of 31. For the past 2-3 days, especially during packing boxes and lifting them, I noticed the back pain and the pelvic tightness come back. I am going to a pelvic floor therapist to get checked up in about 2 weeks.

I am starting a new fitness program today, and was wondering if anyone here who has PFD exercises regularly without interruption? What are your thoughts?

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    My pelvic floor is not the greatest. No jump roping for me. I went to a pelvic floor therapist for a while and it was helpful, but I wouldn't say totally resolved everything. But that is probably on me not doing everything I should. I still exercised, I still lifted heavy. Therapist said it was OK. I just make sure to wear protection if I know I'm going to be doing something that may cause bladder leakage (I don't think I was ever in any danger of organ prolapse). Kegels and stomach vacuums really help. Good luck!
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    My pelvic floor is not the greatest. No jump roping for me. I went to a pelvic floor therapist for a while and it was helpful, but I wouldn't say totally resolved everything. But that is probably on me not doing everything I should. I still exercised, I still lifted heavy. Therapist said it was OK. I just make sure to wear protection if I know I'm going to be doing something that may cause bladder leakage (I don't think I was ever in any danger of organ prolapse). Kegels and stomach vacuums really help. Good luck!

Thanks! I haven't been noticing any leakage (yet) but I am concerned about the pelvic tightness. I haven't ever been sexually active so I am not entirely sure what is causing this.

I also have really tight hip flexors and weak glutes, and was worried about my pelvic floor doing all the work if I started something new. Was looking into Crossfit. Do you think Crossfit would be too strong a workout?
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have a retroverted uterus and some pelvic floor weirdness, and I just had my first PT visit concerning it the other day. It's actually my 4th PT since January, so I've already been doing some of the exercises she recommended. Your PT will check you for general tightness in the surrounding muscles, and give you stretches for those areas. Then they'll examine the mucles from the inside, and determine what therapies will be most helpful.

I don't have any bladder problems, but I have loose connective tissue all over. I limit my cardio to walking and improvisational dance (in the privacy of my bedroom). I use resistance bands and a yoga mat to do the rest of my PT, increasing difficulty as advised by other PTs.

I've never done crossfit because I'm not that social. If it's higher intensity, you might want to work your way up to that. Definitely consult with your PT. If your insurance allows, maybe see another PT specifically for the lower back pain. Good luck at your appointment!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    The best thing I have done for my pelvic floor is a deep water cardio class. One of our instructors reminds us constantly to engage our pelvic floors. The pool was shut down for 2 months this fall, and by the end, I could feel it. My problem is 3 pregnancies with deliveries of 3 enormous babies, so leakage. But I have found that out of all of the activities I do (trail running, lifting, swimming laps and deep water class), the class is by far the best workout for my pelvic floor.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    capriqueen wrote: »
    I also have really tight hip flexors and weak glutes, and was worried about my pelvic floor doing all the work if I started something new. Was looking into Crossfit. Do you think Crossfit would be too strong a workout?

I would NOT start with CrossFit as your first foray into exercise! It’s very intense. I would, however invest in a personal trainer, even for a few sessions, who can help you with stretching and strengthening your hips and glutes.

Hopefully will go well at the doctors! You’re smart to get checked out. Good luck!