Air Fryer

Options
debbieinva
debbieinva Posts: 11 Member
Who uses an Air Fryer? What is your favorite things to cook in one??

Replies

• cnjg6677
    cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Chicken wings
  • debrareed2
    debrareed2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Salmon, tilapia, hand-cut fries
  • deblcar
    deblcar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love my air fryer! I cook almost everything in it - chicken, asparagus, Brussel sprouts, any meat or veggie really. I have made crispy garbanzo beans in it. It is also great for reheating things. My guilty pleasure favorite is reheating garlic bread and making it really crispy.
  • melania35
    melania35 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I'm looking into buying an air fryer - 2 adults and 2 little kids. How big should it be to cook a meal for the 4 of us?
  • leonard41704
    leonard41704 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I just started using it last week. I’m very impressed with it. I’ve cooked salmon fillets so far. It’s great to use when you need to cook something for lunch.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Would you say that it is also an electricity saving device compared to switching on the oven?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    Would you say that it is also an electricity saving device compared to switching on the oven?

The air fryer is much more energy efficient than the oven. It is smaller and mine is very well insulated. It's cool to the touch when running at highest temperature. It definitely does not warm up the house in summer, which the oven does.
  • acpgee
    Options
    melania35 wrote: »
    I'm looking into buying an air fryer - 2 adults and 2 little kids. How big should it be to cook a meal for the 4 of us?

I would buy the largest one if you need to feed a family. A friend of mine with a family has the Phillips Avance XXL. We are a household of two and have the smallest Phillips Viva, but if I were to do it again I would probably go one size up which is easier for dinner parties.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I use mine for everything. Buy the biggest unit with high wattage. Mine is 1800 Watts, cooks fast and even! Here are two things I recently cooked in it. The steak, I pan seared it for a 1.5 min on each side first and finished it in the AF. Perfect results if you time it right and use a meat thermometer. The salmon was melt in mouth like butter!
    os5mmhcpjqtu.jpg
    902mk3eo9ben.jpg
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    debbieinva wrote: »
    Who uses an Air Fryer? What is your favorite things to cook in one??

Bacon
    Toast
    sweet potato fries
    steak, lamb chops- thick cut frozen and cooked until center is medium rare
    roasted cherry tomato
    roasted onion
    any roasted veg
    chicken thighs
    pot stickers
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I love my air fryer. Any meat where I need to render off subcutaneous fat such as skin on chicken, skin on fish, duck breasts. I make roast dinners (potatoes and roast beef or half a leg of lamb). Roast vegetables (asparagus is my favourite). Oven chips, frozen spring rolls.

Tip for air fryer owners. Buy some silicon mesh sold for lining BBQ grates so that small items don't fall through. Cut these to size with scissors and line your air fryer basket. Absolutely nothing sticks to the mesh.

Thanks for the suggestion!!
  • acpgee
    Options
    I have had convection ovens in the past but prefer the air fryer because it is so much better insulated. Mine is cool to the touch when running at the highest temperature which was definitely not the case with my convection oven. Also the fan is much more aggressive than in a convection oven so that it does a better job of rendering off subcutaneous fat, in my opinion.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Wings and fries mostly.
  • wwkwag
    wwkwag Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I make so much in my air fryer - burgers, chicken, fish, pork, fries, mozzarella sticks, strombolis (my favorite) and on and on! Love it!!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Par Deep Fried chicken turns out amazing in my Air fryer. What little Oil absorbs in the chicken during the Par frying, drips out by the time the chicken reaches internal 165F.
    Also, Par pressure cooked chicken wings turn out crispier then standard deep fried wings, i might even go as far as claiming crispier then double fried wings.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Discovered a new use for the air fryer. Chinese stir fry dishes with aubergine absorb way too much oil. In the wok I stir fry a minute in a tablespoon of hot oil to coat and colour the aubergine batons and then finish cooking 10 minutes in the air fryer. Aubergine are returned to the pan to cook briefly with the stir fry sauce.

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/chinese-eggplants-with-garlic-sauce/

I think this will be a good way of dealing with oil absorption and aubergine in middle eastern dishes such as imam biyaldi. Of course, this will work equally well in a convection or even a normal oven on a metal rack.
  • cecimaguina
    cecimaguina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    melania35 wrote: »

I got an Oster about a year ago and we use it all the time! My 9yo daughter learned to do her own little snacks by herself..is pretty easy to cook fries, nuggets (which all kids love); I've used it for homemade quesadillas, tacos, salmon fillets, and since we have one in the office one day I decided to bring a marinated chicken (raw) placed it on the air fryer and 20min later my chicken was done and tender and just made which I loved!
    When I cook for the family the basket fits 2-3 portions so sometimes and depending on what we're doing it takes 2 batches but all worth the wait. Hamburgers come out nice and crispy buns too! It's a must have appliance for sure.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Cheese sandwich- wheat bread 70cal a slice,slice of provolone or Swiss type cheeses 70cal ones, sprinkle some shredded cheese lightly only for flavor 55cal worth,top with a tab of low cal margarine 9min at 350*

Heat up convince foods for kids

Reheat 🍕 pizza to peanut butter pancakes 🥞 5min makes them taste better than the microwave 100%!

Tortilla chips small amount low cal 5min 350* to warm them up like a restaurant cook oils out! Toss cheese,spinach,chicken got nachos (jalapeño if like spice)

Potatoes 🥔