Keto

Anyone here on the keto wagon? I've been on it for a little over 2 months now and I'm down 20ish pounds. Looking to share meal and snack tips/tricks/ideas as well as motivate each other. Feel free to send me a friend request.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    There's a good low-carb forum here with lots of people who do keto. Low Carber Daily, I think it's called. I used to be a member.
  • Rockerchick72
    Rockerchick72 Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks!
  • COscorpio8402
    COscorpio8402 Posts: 18 Member
    I’m adding you. Anyone can feel free to add me too!
  • siveriano86
    siveriano86 Posts: 2 Member
    Ill love to start keto as well, but have no idea how.
    Will love some help with it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2019
    I follow it and love to cook, so i am always trying and coming up with new recipes. I track my meals in my diary and other platforms.
  • PTA4LYF
    PTA4LYF Posts: 87 Member
    KETO is not a new program its been around for years its called high protein low carb if you want the best program then follow the south beach diet and you will have much success
  • jemillen
    jemillen Posts: 8 Member
    I also want to add above...I'm 58 years old. I sure wish I would have know about keto earlier. Instead I have suffered from morbid obesity for years! Now I am able to play with my grandkids and enjoy life more! I'm sold on keto!
  • Coopjitsu10P
    Coopjitsu10P Posts: 17 Member
    Been on keto for 2 years. I don't consider it keto anymore just the way I eat now. I feel better than ever and lost a ton of weight.now I'm just in maintain mode. I still cheat once in a while but I'm never feeling deprived. I agree with everyone who has posted above me. Especially jemillen
  • kristina2114
    kristina2114 Posts: 10 Member
    Wow! I am interested in keto, but very scared to start it! Honestly, I don’t even know where to start! I have a dairy intolerant so I stay away from dairy anyways. Or at least I try.. I also have an intolerant to egg whites so I cannot eat eggs every day like others so probably just 1-2 times a month! I also have given up bread for the most park! I will have a bun here and there when I have a burger! I have a slight intolerant to bakers yeast.. If I was to start keto I would need several breakfast, lunch, dinner ideas.. However, exercise is not an issue for me as I workout about 5-6 days a week! I am currently tracking my food on MyFitnessPal, but have been going over my calories extremely and need a fresh start, so starting tomorrow Monday I want to either be more rigorous on my counting or start keto.. Any help would be appreciated! I need all the ideas I can get. I also need more friends with open dairies so I can get food ideas! Thank you in advance...
  • kaikeiki
    kaikeiki Posts: 3 Member
    jemillen wrote: »
    I have been eating a fairly strict keto diet since January 1st of 2019. Let me tell you...it works! I'm down 115 pounds as of today. I was very obese and needed to lose 200 pounds. I am no longer on metformin. My last A1C check was 105 without taking any diabetes meds! I no longer need blood pressure meds! I have no prescribed meds at all and have so much energy even though I still need to lose 85 pounds. I want to encourage anyone wondering if they can do this that maintaining a keto diet is very possible! Here are my keto food tips that have helped make me successful:
    -I make my own keto bread with almond flour using the recipe found on youtube for nutritional yeast bread-the lady on youtube shows exactly how to make it.
    -I add MCT oil powder to my coffee in the morning. It adds needed medium chain triglycerides which help maintain ketosis and helped me get over the initial "keto flu" quickly.
    -I still eat chocolate chip cookies but learned to make them with Lily's dark chocolate Stevia chips, Swerve or Monk fruit, and almond flour. I freeze a batch and allow myself 1 or 2 cookies per day.
    -I enjoy Rebel brand keto friendly Ice Cream about once a week. It curbs any sweet cravings and I feel I can stay on this way of eating forever! It's a treat to look forward to and I use it as a reward.
    -I limit my fruit to blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries, lemons and limes.
    -Once in a great while, I will by the peanut butter cups made by Slimfast-Keto, but I'm careful to limit them as they are expensive!
    -I have made my own fat bombs with almond butter or unsweetened coconut dipped in melted sugar free Lily's chocolate chips - yum!
    -I have learned to eat more veggies - I love grilled salmon with Brussel sprouts, make roasts with cabbage, grill hamburgers and eat them with my keto buns with spinach and asparagus, put Kale in my eggs and make awesome zuppa Toscano soup with kale and cauliflower instead of potatoes. I use cauliflower in place of potatoes in all my recipes. Frozen riced Cauliflower and riced broccoli rocks...it's a true timesaver!
    -Oils are very important. I only use Olive oil, Coconut oil, Avacado oil, Ghee (clarified butter) and grassfed butters such as Kerry Gold.
    -I'm working on a Thanksgiving menu with all the traditional foods transformed to be keto friendly.
    -The keto cookbooks that are my favorites are from Warrior Made and the ones by Maria Emmerich. They are great!
    -I try to track my foods and weight loss in myfitnesspal, but sometimes stop. When I find that I'm not losing weight for a few days...it's usually because I stopped tracking. When I start tracking again, the weight starts dropping. I invested in myfitnesspal (rather than the free version). This allowed me to easily switch between grams and percentage so I can make sure I'm sticking to the correct percentages of fats, carbs and protein as well as tracking my calories.

If you are thinking about doing keto, be encouraged. If you can get past the first few weeks of change, it's possible to keep going and it gets easier. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing! You are inspiring me! Don't stop!
  • WayneG3
    WayneG3 Posts: 33 Member
    Anyone here on the keto wagon? I've been on it for a little over 2 months now and I'm down 20ish pounds. Looking to share meal and snack tips/tricks/ideas as well as motivate each other. Feel free to send me a friend request.

I'm doing Keto and IF. Im down a little over 50lbs in 9 weeks. I'd be happy to share recipe ideas. I added you. I always have the ingredients on my diary for what I eat each week. I eat the same thing all week then switch things up the next. I follow 75%/20%/5% macro ratios. Anyone else who wants to add me or wants any info on recipes I'd be happy to share.
  • Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Doing Keto OMAD and down 54 lbs so far with another 60-70 to go. Have never felt better in my life. Great energy, mental alertness, sleeping like a ROCK, etc. Black coffee in the morning, water and odd tea during the day and one big filling meal between 4:30 and 6:30 pm. Last night was thai basil pork in lettuce wraps followed by two homemade almond cookies. Max carbs of 20 per day or 5% of total. NEVER hungry. Doing a 48 hour fast every once in a while, have done 4 times since August and its amazing how easy that is. I feel like I have control over food for the first time. Have lost weight before just tracking calories but its always a battle and so easy to fall off the wagon. With keto I truly feel like I have found a long term sustainable lifestyle and I'm very much looking forward to what the next year brings!

Good luck!