Traveling

Options
I'm considering accepting a job with quite a bit of travel - I'd be on the road 5-6 days a month on average. What are your best tips for maintaining a healthy, calorie-controlled diet and exercise regimen while traveling often? Right now my goals are to slowly lose about 10 lbs. and build strength and reduce bodyfat. I target 1750 calories with a focus on getting 125g protein and a lot of fiber. I'm doing CrossFit 3x a week and jogging 3x a week.

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Will it involve hotel stays? If so, and you don't want those days to be rest days, get yourself a good bodyweight routine you can do in a hotel room, and maybe take exercise bands.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Jogging is great for travel because you can do it anywhere. My dad travels a ton for work but still gets in all his running.

And there are lots of free strength training workouts on YouTube (fitness blender is my favorite) that would be easy to do in a hotel room. There’s also the option of finding a local cross-fit gym on the road. Usually they are willing to give you a day or week pass for not very expensive.

For food just try to go to the grocery store over eating out. You probably won’t be able to cook but you can get salads and healthy snacks. And when you do eat out just make sure to make healthy choices that stick to your calories. A lot of times when I eat out I only eat half my plate and box the rest to go or find someone to split an entree with.
  • ThisTimeForGood
    ThisTimeForGood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot on business - about 20 or so trips per year. I book a hotel with a gym and make sure I get at least a short (30 minute) workout in on my normal workout days. I also pack dry oats & protein powder for breakfast and then protein bars and almonds for snacks. Grab some fruit in the hotel lobby also. The biggest challenge for me is restaurant or hotel food and alcohol - while on the road I'm usually entertaining clients or at conferences. My strategy around that is to order something grilled and with vegetables. No bread basket. Alternating wine or cocktail with water in between. And to have grace with myself if things don't go according to plan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm considering accepting a job with quite a bit of travel - I'd be on the road 5-6 days a month on average. What are your best tips for maintaining a healthy, calorie-controlled diet and exercise regimen while traveling often? Right now my goals are to slowly lose about 10 lbs. and build strength and reduce bodyfat. I target 1750 calories with a focus on getting 125g protein and a lot of fiber. I'm doing CrossFit 3x a week and jogging 3x a week.

I used to travel 25 weeks out of the year. I always made sure I had a room that at minimum had a microwave and mini fridge, if not a kitchenette. I shopped for most of my meals while traveling, even if it ended up being a frozen dinner thing. Every hotel I ever stayed in had a fitness center. I had colleagues that were runners, and being out of town never stopped them from getting their runs in.