New Moms

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
I'm sure there are tons of posts like this, but I was hoping some other new moms could join in on this thread for some solidarity. I just had my third child in July and I am nursing him. I am having a hard time losing weight because I'm just sooo hungry. Breastfeeding is more important than losing weight of course, but I'd like to not give in entirely. I have my goal set to lose 1/2lb a week for now (factoring in an extra 500 for breastfeeding). Exercise is also non-existent. I work full time as well, so I just don't know WHEN I would ever work out. I already wake up early after a night of interrupted sleep. I'm just going to focus on my diet for now and fit in walks/bike rides with the kids when I can. I'm in survival mode.

Any other moms of new babies out there?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My boys are growing up, and my 'baby' is now 6. Please be gentle on yourself. Your body is recovering from growing a tiny human and now feeding that little human. If you had a c-section, that is even more to recover from along with not getting much sleep. The weight never came off for me until I was done breastfeeding. Eat what you need to fuel your body and your baby and give yourself some time. Congratulations!
  • CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I had my 7th in May. Also breastfeeding. It's tough, I lost 60 pounds before I got pregnant and now I have gained back 40 of it. 10 pounds of that has been since she was born :(
    I'm trying to tighten up on my charting. i know I'm overeating, breastfeeding makes you feel so hungry.
  • MerenwenAgain
    MerenwenAgain Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    New mum here too. Had my second just over a month ago and I want to shed all the baby weight (8 kg left) + the 10kg accumulated in the last 5 years due to unhealthy choices. Very hard to exercise due to lack of sleep and time and struggling to focus on myself... but we’re going to do it! Slowly and steadily ;)
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Similar boat here. I've gained a lot of the weight I had lost pre baby, and even now after giving birth I've gained a few lbs!! I'm really struggling to lose weight and feel so discouraged. I wouldn't mind the weight side so much if I was at least feeling good... but I find I have such limited energy, my attempts to workout have been pathetic. Ugh!
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,610 Member
    Options
    Relatively new mum here, my LO is 11 months now. I went back to work full time when he was 6.5 months so I know exactly what you mean about where to fit in exercise!! What I've started doing is (at work, naughty me, but could do it at home too) just exercising in blocks of a few minutes when I can fit them in during the day - so, for instance, when I go to the bathroom at work, I'll take a 2-5 minutes to just do some squats or walk in place or do some air punches - anything to get the heart & muscles going. It's not the same as doing a full workout but I figure it's better than the nothing I was doing before and I do manage to get 30 mins done most days by doing this.

I actually didn't gain much weight when I was pregnant (I think because somehow being pregnant temporarily fixed my insulin resistance as I tested in normal ranges when pregnant and normally I don't!) and the little that I did gain, I lost right away. But over the few months after having bub, I gained A LOT and ended up bigger than I'd ever been. I was/am ashamed of that. I am slowly finding what works for me now, and trying to make some positive changes.

You are so strong, mama - my bub is formula-fed so I don't know how you even manage working and feeding! And then add your other, older kids in too. Wow! You are amazing. Be kind to yourself and remember to take baby steps. I love the idea of getting the kids involved by going for a walk or a bike ride - that's modelling some wonderful healthy behaviours for them as well!