Weighing an artichoke

Options
2»

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    I find when I insta-pot an artichoke I don't need to put any dressing on it, though I usually go with mayo. But, I live near Castroville (artichoke capital of the world, google it), so I may be getting a higher quality artichoke/fresher than most folk have available.

Weigh before and after.

Eat the leaves in the manner that was illustrated in the video a few posts back.

You're getting amazing chokes! I'm from San Jose and miss local artichokes. I'm not that far from there but haven't seen ones from Castroville. Was just at a wedding in Aptos and we were hoping to see artichoke stands but no luck. I did make them in the Instant pot for the first time though!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Dipping the leaves in melted butter and then scraping the leaves with one's teeth is the artichoke experience. Just weigh the butter before and after too.

Any food that requires butter is not worth eating in my opinion. Especially vegetables.

I'm with you for lobster, but not vegetables.

Out of all the foods i could think of, one thing i actually do enjoy better with butter (must be browned butter) is a lobster tail. lol

As far as vegetables, perfectly steamed vegetables with a little spinkle of crazy salt is all i need.

I guess my point of view, is why turn something meant to be healthy, unhealthy with butter, might as well not even eat them. As far as lobster, yes its healthy, but its not something you eat often (unless you're rich), might as well splurge with a little bit of browned butter.

Dipping in a little butter doesn't make a vegetable unhealthy. You still get all the vitamins, minerals, and fiber and unless you go nuts with the butter it doesn't have to add much in fat and calories.

I have never had a whole artichoke (I've had hearts in a salad), I rarely if ever see them in the supermarket. I feel deprived now!

You have to try them! The heart is the best part. My favorite way is to steam for 30 minutes in lemon water (or Instant pot) then cut in half, clean, brush with olive oil, and stuff leaves with minced garlic. Throw on grill. We eat them for appetizers in my family. This summer we dipped in mayo with Penzey's Fox Point mixed in.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Dipping in a little butter doesn't make a vegetable unhealthy. You still get all the vitamins, minerals, and fiber and unless you go nuts with the butter it doesn't have to add much in fat and calories.

I have never had a whole artichoke (I've had hearts in a salad), I rarely if ever see them in the supermarket. I feel deprived now!

I also have not tried a whole Artichoke. I have made roasted artichoke hearts which were delicious (but expensive) and i just used a spray or two of PAM and some sea salt and cracked pepper. Again, no need for butter. I suppose i am lucky to love vegetables in its simplest form. Even as a kid i loved my vegetables. Its kind of funny, i am a carnivore. I'd like my steak still Moo'ing please.