eating at night

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm frequently still eating at 1AM, and this is generally Magnum Ice creams and protein bars

Just had my evening ice cream and it's past midnight here! :flowerforyou:
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think it's a great idea to eat at night for a few reasons.

1.) Are you expending most of your day and your calories in the day time?

If you're awake in the daytime and expending most of your energy, it should also be the time that you eat the majority of your calories. Waiting for late in the day/night seems like you're rewarding yourself with food or overeating for some other purpose.

2.) Are you eating at night because you're bored or stressed?

Why are you eating so much at night? Is it because you have a lot of time on your hands or are nervous? A lot of people eat because they're bored rather than have a hobby or some other activity to do instead. Do you sew? Embroider? Write? Draw? Latch-hook? Start a hobby to keep your mind and hands active and see if that stops much of the night eating.

3.) Are you getting up at night to eat?

This I think is the worst thing to do. If you're in bed, food time is over. Getting up at night to night isn't a good idea. I really think this is about stress-eating or compulsive eating.

This is just bull**** and flies in the face of basic science. If you put 50 bucks in your bank account, and withdraw 60 bucks, you are down ten dollars regardless of what time of day you pulled out the cash.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

So, people don't eat because they're bored or out of habit?

What does that have to do with anything? The question was about meal timing, not about overeating out of boredom. If you're eating at a caloric deficit, you will lose weight regardless of when you eat your meals, or the emotions that accompany them.

EDIT: 3AM here and I'm stress-eating a bunch of empty carbs because my wife's got a fever and I can't sleep. Still under my calorie goal.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I work overnight 10pm-6am five nights of the week and I eat while I'm at work. I also a lot of the time wake up on my nights off and eat around the same time I eat during the week. I log my meals and go back to bed and I'm still losing weight. When you eat does not matter.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work overnight 10pm-6am five nights of the week and I eat while I'm at work. I also a lot of the time wake up on my nights off and eat around the same time I eat during the week. I log my meals and go back to bed and I'm still losing weight. When you eat does not matter.

Same here, just minus the days off. I switch back to sleeping at night and staying up during the day on my days off. The only time that timing of your meals matter is if you know it will mess up your sleep. I can fall asleep immediately after eating and have no problems but others can't. Upset tummy, have to go to the bathroom, etc etc.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    You must stop eating at 6PM, or you will turn into a pumpkin
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

QFT
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Same here, just minus the days off. I switch back to sleeping at night and staying up during the day on my days off. The only time that timing of your meals matter is if you know it will mess up your sleep. I can fall asleep immediately after eating and have no problems but others can't. Upset tummy, have to go to the bathroom, etc etc.

I switch back to sleeping at night too but my eating doesn't really change, I'm hungry enough to wake up most of the nights I'm off by 3am. I also go right to sleep after eating and have no problems. The only time I hesitate to eat is before I go walking/jogging only because I don't want to have to use the bathroom and be several miles away from home : )
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

No, no. You have to stop eating by 6, or play squash.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Come on, isn't it a common sense? If you eat your calories during the day, you will burn them all. If you eat them at night, everything will be stored as fat forever. Because, you know, if you don't eat your breakfast, your body isn't fueled by calories, but by magic.

trollfaced.png