Water weight gain from new workouts

Options
Hey! I know that some people report a weight spike when starting a new workout routine (or when recovering from a strenuous weight lifting session? I hear people saying DOMS a lot). My question is, how hard does a workout need to be to have this happen and how much weight gain is common?
Like I was doing 21 day fix in August/September but took a break due to holidays and then a week long virus. I started again on Monday (and it felt really harder than before) and now I'm seeing a weight spike. Connected do you think?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Yep, connected. From what I've seen, it tends to be a couple of pounds. It goes away soon enough.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,982 Member
    Options
    I've had spikes of upwards of 5 pounds (rare), and going from inconsistent to consistent can have a couple pound spike, but if I'm being consistent in my workouts, any spikes seem pretty minimal. But if I'm being as consistent as I should be I'm also making sure I'm supporting my training with better supplement implementation, but historically if I'm inconsistent, I don't really bother as it's really not as important.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It's driven be so many variables - the conditioning of the individual, sodium intake, normal water intake/output, hormonal fluctuation, body composition, genetic variability...endless...

The largest one I experienced was 12 lbs - this was after a Spartan Beast and Super, followed up with a high sodium celebration meal. All back to normal after 5 days of routine activity and hydration.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The largest one I experienced was 12 lbs - this was after a Spartan Beast and Super, followed up with a high sodium celebration meal. All back to normal after 5 days of routine activity and hydration.

That's kind of surprising, since I expect I'm a much smaller human than you. I was thinking it might have some slight correlation to body size or muscle mass. I can achieve 10-12 lbs of water retention often enough that I know when and where to look for it - Usually after spending several days camping and eating large quantities of preserved food and doing a bunch of really bizarre things to my *normal* rate of water and electrolyte consumption.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's personalized, so YMMV. But personally, I definitely carry a few extra pounds when I work out regularly. Maybe 3-4. On occasions when I stop working out, which is usually accompanied by eating more food, I usuay lose weight pretty quickly for a couple of weeks even if my calorie intake is bad. My body seems to start to drop the water weight maybe 1-3 weeks after I stop exercising.

Like @CSARdiver, I will get spikes if I do extra strenuous exercise, even from my base exercise level. I gained 6 pounds in 2 days after I did a 4 hour martial arts belt test. My body just seemed to hold onto every bit of water I gave it after that. That went away in about a week though.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

That's kind of surprising, since I expect I'm a much smaller human than you. I was thinking it might have some slight correlation to body size or muscle mass. I can achieve 10-12 lbs of water retention often enough that I know when and where to look for it - Usually after spending several days camping and eating large quantities of preserved food and doing a bunch of really bizarre things to my *normal* rate of water and electrolyte consumption.

The curse of Eve :)

HUUGE impact from hormones - the intent of which is to protect cells and structures from damage. Skinny jeans weren't considered in the evolutionary process.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    Options
    Yeah, the hormones are a super annoying set of mystery variables. Does it then follow that menopause alleviates some of the tendency, or is it one of those many, many "it's not that simple..." things?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    My post menopausal observations.

Menopause cut back on the menstrual cycle water weight variations, but the exercise, travel, salty food etc, water weight retention variables will still be there.

I carry an extra couple of pounds while lifting, drops off after ~10 days.
    Travel is 5-7 lbs, drops within 4-6 days.
    Higher salt intake, gain varies (1-3 lbs) and does the time to drop it (1-4days).

Vacations,
    air travel, extra food, extra salt, hot weather, alcohol, lots of outdoor activities, for me equals a 7-10 lbs water gain, (enough that I have to take 2nd week big girl clothes and shoes) it goes within the week. Actual weight gain is nil to minimal because of the activity level.

I’ve never dropped the exercise/lifting water retention until I stop that activity. That extra water/glycogen is continuously needed for repairing my body. That is why I think it takes me longer to drop that water weight than water weight from travel, salt, heat, etc.

Cheers, h.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    Options
    @middlehaitch <3 Thank you for jumping in with the data points I was curious about!

I am really not comforted by your report, though. :P Being a female continues to fail at impressing me. Thus, I leave you with the applicable quote from Galaxy Quest that popped into my mind as I read your post.
    Gwen DeMarco:
    What is this thing? I mean, it serves no useful purpose for there to be a bunch of chompy, crushy things in the middle of a hallway. No, I mean we shouldn't have to do this, it makes no logical sense, why is it here?

Jason Nesmith:
    'Cause it's on the television show.

Gwen DeMarco:
    Well forget it, I'm not doing it, this episode was badly written.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,502 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend not stressing over-much about water weight: While stress-related water weight probably isn't as common as some of the other sorts, it is seemingly among the whackiest and least predictable.

:lol: . . . except I'm not really joking. :grimace:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I've seen a 2lb scale spike two times in the last couple of weeks from resistance work. It went away within a few days.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    most likely connected. From my experience intensive exercise especially followed by re-hydrating almost always results in a spike.