7 Lessons From 1000 Consecutive Days Of Logging

zwigb54p6uc6.jpg
rt370iv9y4om.jpg

Today is my 1,000 straight day of logging. Over the past 3 years, I've dropped 50 lbs. and at 51 years old I can honestly say I'm in the best shape of my life...by far. Here are some lessons I've learned that might be of help to others on your journey.

1) You can do it! I promise. Just don't ever give up. You can win this war, but the war is made up of 1000 battles. Win each battle and you will win the war. It's inevitable!

2) It's at least 80% psychology. Once we have some basic knowledge about nutrition, the rest is a mind game. My line is, "We don't need to know we shouldn't eat the cookie, we need to learn how NOT to eat the cookie." Face the fact that if you've overeaten as I have, it's a psychology problem.

3) Food Is Fuel! Yup. Took me 49 years to get that one in my head. Please learn that one earlier than I did. Food is not there for emotional comfort. It's not there to cheer you up when you're down. It's not there for "self-sympathy". It's fuel for the body. Choose wisely.

4) Build Your Army. Who's support do you need? Who do you admire that you would want to learn from? People want to help you in your journey, ask them for advice. Interview people who are fit about their 'mindset' as well as their diet and exercise plan.

5) Don't Set A Date. If you set a goal to lose 10 pounds by a certain date, your body may have other plans. Set up a plan that's sustainable and follow the plan. Let nature take care of the timeframe. Otherwise, you'll lose the 10 and think...I'm finished and then gain 15 back. The question I ask myself is "What decision do I make now will make me fitter tomorrow?"

6) Log BEFORE you eat. Especially when eating out, enter what you're going to eat before you eat it. You'll be shocked at some of the calorie counts of foods when you eat out.

7) Streaking is fun! (No that kind of streaking) I never set out to log for 1000 straight days, but once I saw the streak counter, it became a game to keep it up. Side note, at one point I set out to exercise for 7 straight days (something I'd never done). I ended the streak at 321 consecutive days.

I have so, so many more lessons I've learned. All my best to you.

Mark

Replies

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    edited October 2019
    Very thoughtful post! I was thinking to myself just last night that in all reality weight loss is a mind game. It is about 90% mental and no matter how bad someone wants to be healthier, look better, whatever.. until they are ready to have that mental breakthrough in food is fuel, long term consequences, etc., it just won't last.

Congratulations on your new mindset, your weight loss and your very impressive 1000 day streak!!!! πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Very nice! Thanks for your thoughts.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Congrats on your 1000 days streak!

It's not easy and you kept it up. You've learned something and you earned something too!
    Good for you!!
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Amazing streak! Thanks for the words of advice! I especially like #5. I was successful when I had an end-date in mind, but then gained back some after that date passed. I have a new date in the near future and another maintain-date for fall 2020, but I know I need to get out of that mindset and my "date" should be forever. Thanks!
  • benczean
    benczean Posts: 97 Member
    Love this! Thank you for sharing.
  • shbarbor
    shbarbor Posts: 3,340 Member
    Thank you for the great words of advice and inspiration!!! I have recently learned #6 Log BEFORE you eat (learned it the hard way)! Really great advice. Congratulations on your achievement!!
  • Rebecca102419
    Rebecca102419 Posts: 7 Member
    Great insights... thank you for sharing, and Congratulations on your phenomenal streak(s)!! :)
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Congrats to you! Just hit my 30 day streak lol! I love #6. And #3 is so true. Quality of food is so important for health. Thanks for a great post!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!