I've got a smidge of a complaint....

Options

Replies

• slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

In Houston, I find that a portion served in a restaurant is 2 to 10 times what I would eat at home with few exceptions. I order appetizers most of the time for lunch, seriously.

Houston, we have a problem...
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    OP, I have found that having a scale is the easiest way. I always measure in oz/gms in case the entry is one way or the other. Makes life easier. Eventually you get familiar with how certain items are in the database and you just start measuring that way instinctively.

MY RANT: I just wish I could log a damn sandwich from Jimmy John's with everything on it without sifting through everyone else's picky *kitten* entries! How about you don't share those with the public! Nobody is as picky as you! I'd like to find only the unadulterated entries of **** with everything on it!

You like bunless burgers? Keep that in your own database! I eat everything and would like to find entries with everything on them. That's my rant.
  • mmp430
    mmp430 Posts: 1
    Options
    I understand about the weight but I too find it annoying and difficult to figure out particularly if I'm analyzing a recipe. (Not preparing it; analyzing it.) I have to look up everything on the 'net before I can even analyze. I'm sorry but THAT is probably the reason why I've tried to lose weight about 10 times over the past 5 years.

And really, the "who does that?" was a commonly used sarcastic expession. The snarky, self-important answers are really unkind. This is my first login here and I don't know that I'll be sticking around if this is the support that can be expected from this site.
  • slim4health56
    Options

3 chicken thighs is 1200 calories? I've weighed out thigh meat tons of times, and 190 grams is a massive chicken thigh. Is this fried? Skin on? baked? Rotisserie? Bathed in butter? Coated in mole?

The average skin-on chicken thigh is around 240 calories. A fried chicken thigh is anywhere from 250-370 calories, depending on the size, skin on or off, breading and egg wash used. A leg quarter is closer to 410 calories, but that's thigh and drumstick. Getting to 1200 calories is equivalent to eating 6 pieces of dark meat, skin-on baked chicken. There are silly calorie counts all in MFP. If something looks too good to be true, Google is a great tool, as is NutritionData. And if something looks completely blown out of proportion, ditto.

Haha, I was going to say...I eat thighs all the time and according to the package 4 ounces of skinless boneless thigh is only slightly more calories than breast meat (130 vs 110, I think.) Not sure on what planet 3 thighs is 150 or 1200 calories.
    [/quote]

Nutrition Facts (Googled as recommended)

Chicken, thigh
    Amount Per 1 thigh with skin (189 g)

Calories 414

% Daily Value*
    Total fat 31 g 47%
    Saturated fat 8 g 40%
    Polyunsaturated fat 7 g
    Monounsaturated fat 13 g
    Trans fat 0.2 g
    Cholesterol 185 mg 61%
    Sodium 146 mg 6%
    Potassium 387 mg 11%
    Total Carbohydrate 0.5 g 0%
    Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugar 0 g
    Protein 31 g 62%

Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 1% Iron 7%
    Vitamin B-6 30% Vitamin B-12 20%
    Magnesium 9%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Sources include: USDA

Perhaps I'm misreading?
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I am the same at the moment, I mean what size cup do they mean.

While I agree with all the weighing stuff, a measuring cup is a standard unit of measurement - it's 8fl oz.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am by weight on everything. I find myself going to the grams to ounces conversion site way too often though :) I wish things were in oz but i'll take grams over the imprecise tbls cups and what nots anyday
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

3 chicken thighs is 1200 calories? I've weighed out thigh meat tons of times, and 190 grams is a massive chicken thigh. Is this fried? Skin on? baked? Rotisserie? Bathed in butter? Coated in mole?

The average skin-on chicken thigh is around 240 calories. A fried chicken thigh is anywhere from 250-370 calories, depending on the size, skin on or off, breading and egg wash used. A leg quarter is closer to 410 calories, but that's thigh and drumstick. Getting to 1200 calories is equivalent to eating 6 pieces of dark meat, skin-on baked chicken. There are silly calorie counts all in MFP. If something looks too good to be true, Google is a great tool, as is NutritionData. And if something looks completely blown out of proportion, ditto.

Haha, I was going to say...I eat thighs all the time and according to the package 4 ounces of skinless boneless thigh is only slightly more calories than breast meat (130 vs 110, I think.) Not sure on what planet 3 thighs is 150 or 1200 calories.

Chicken, thigh

Calories 414

% Daily Value*
    Total fat 31 g 47%
    Saturated fat 8 g 40%
    Polyunsaturated fat 7 g
    Monounsaturated fat 13 g
    Trans fat 0.2 g
    Cholesterol 185 mg 61%
    Sodium 146 mg 6%
    Potassium 387 mg 11%
    Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugar 0 g
    Protein 31 g 62%

Calcium 1% Iron 7%
    Magnesium 9%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Perhaps I'm misreading?
    [/quote]

Perhaps. Did you read the response that pointed out it varies depending on what exactly is being measured and asked specific questions? Not all chicken thighs are exactly 189 grams. Or fried. Or skin on. Or baked, etc. This is precisely why many of us raise eyebrows when people claim not to be losing on 1200 calorie diets. Accuracy matters.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Chicken, thigh

Calories 414

% Daily Value*
    Total fat 31 g 47%
    Saturated fat 8 g 40%
    Polyunsaturated fat 7 g
    Monounsaturated fat 13 g
    Trans fat 0.2 g
    Cholesterol 185 mg 61%
    Sodium 146 mg 6%
    Potassium 387 mg 11%
    Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugar 0 g
    Protein 31 g 62%

Calcium 1% Iron 7%
    Magnesium 9%

Perhaps I'm misreading?

I'm looking at a bag of frozen skinless thighs right now

4 ounces (112g) 120 calories (so less than I assumed) if we bump up to 224g to get closer to your number that's still 240 calories. I dont imagine skin adds over 200 calories. Either Google is wrong, Google is assuming thigh and leg, or Google is assuming some cooking method it isn't stating.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I recently started using a scale to weigh food. I saw just how far I was off on a lot of things. I thought I was pretty close on serving sizes until I started weighing. I'm really glad that people use weights like grams or oz.

I also like that there are the other options available too, just takes a little longer to pick the one you want sometimes. And I don't mind for accuracy.

Sorry it bothers you but it really helps the rest of us. ;)
    Totally agree. Started weghing everything as an experiment. Was totally surprised when two strawberries were over 100g. Now I just weigh, even liquids as they should be by liters or parts thereof, instead of cups. Metric is closer to true. Just wish that everything would be lumped together in metric, ounces or cups. Would make it much easier. Now when I weigh I do both grams and ounces so that when I logg I don't get any surprises.

If you go to the MFP entered entry (the one without the asterisk in front of it) the drop down will allow you to select quite a few options.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I generally prefer wighing and using grams, but...

with steak portions I use ounces so the "steaks" in my recent foods are in ounces... so when I'm at a restaurant I can easily make make a pretty good estimate. I know what 4, 8, 10, 16 oz steaks look like, or I can also go by the menu description.

I also like when foods are listed by cups or "1 serving" for the same reason. Makes it much easier to estimate when eating out. If I buy fries at McDonalds, I'm not going to come home and weigh them first. I just want to know how to log an order of medium fries.
    "
  • slim4health56
    Options

Perhaps. Did you read the response that pointed out it varies depending on what exactly is being measured and asked specific questions? Not all chicken thighs are exactly 189 grams. Or fried. Or skin on. Or baked, etc. This is precisely why many of us raise eyebrows when people claim not to be losing on 1200 calorie diets. Accuracy matters.

Yes, and I do get that not all chicken thighs are equal in size, or fried, or skin on, or baked, et cetera. Did you read that what I posted stated skin on at 189 grams? That's pretty specific. My original point was that a new MFP member surfed around the MFP database (which is so often incorrect) until she found something she really liked - i.e. she passed on the measurements for chicken thighs at 300 calories each (much closer to reality) and picked out 3 chicken thighs for 150 calories total...as in the "magic" of false information becoming true because we put it in our food diary and THEN she wanted to estimate a serving size from the crockpot of 10 chicken thighs she'd cooked without benefit of a scale.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yes, and I do get that not all chicken thighs are equal in size, or fried, or skin on, or baked, et cetera. Did you read that what I posted stated skin on at 189 grams? That's pretty specific. My original point was that a new MFP member surfed around the MFP database (which is so often incorrect) until she found something she really liked - i.e. she passed on the measurements for chicken thighs at 300 calories each (much closer to reality) and picked out 3 chicken thighs for 150 calories total...as in the "magic" of false information becoming true because we put it in our food diary and THEN she wanted to estimate a serving size from the crockpot of 10 chicken thighs she'd cooked without benefit of a scale.

sounds like we're all snarky/sarcastic in our own ways :bigsmile:
  • brokenapart
    Options

I weigh my chips too. the bag says 10 chips/whatever grams and you know what? That amount of grams is more like 20 chips. I want all my damn chips.

lol so funny..... I want all my damn chips! I like you!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

400+ calories for a chicken thigh is still incredibly high, all other things aside. I would bypass suggestions for 300 calories as well, tbh.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I wish people would just list every possible measurement they can. When I'm out somewhere - I may need to estimate 2 tbs dressing... when I'm out I may not be able to weight the apple I picked up. One small apple is sufficient.

When I'm home - I'll weigh it - so I need ounces or grams.

I get frustrated when I have to add various versions of the same thing until I find one measured the way I want. We really only need one granny smith apple entry - then list options for size, ounces, grams, diced into cups etc. I can choose what best suits my situation at that moment. I certainly can't figure out how many grams of lettuce I just put on my plate at a salad bar - but I can guess pretty close on cups. At home - I'll just weigh it.

I wish someone would go through and consolidate a lot of the repeats and include as many measurements as possible.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I recommend that people do weigh where possible and not measure, unless liquid, or eyeball.
    I don't measure eyeballs either.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I hate it when stuff isn't entered by weight. A cup of carrots, or apples? Am I being stingy with my cup or should I cram in as much as possible?

I just really like weighing everything.

I am the same at the moment, I mean what size cup do they mean. I am also finding that you have to be careful of some of your selections from the database as well, for example some eggs have cholesterol listed and others don't

I will continue weighing and checking listings against packets/tins for now

what size cup? When it says 1 cup that means "1 measuring cup" as in not 2 cups or half a cup or 3/4's of a cup.. 1 cup.
    cup.gif
    edited to add visual for better understanding of what a cup is.
    To me this is funny because several years ago the kids asked my husband to make kool aid and when he asked how much sugar I said 1 cup. I went into the kitchen to see him putting sugar into a tall drinking glass. I said OMG what are you doing? He said well you said one cup. I couldn't believe I had to explain to him what a cup is. ugh!!
  • Connie5674
    Connie5674 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure and count practically everything I eat. Not because I enjoy it or that I'm OCD. My goal is to be healthy and to lose the extra poundage and documenting every single thing I eat EXACTLY, I know not only how many calories but what nutrients I'm still needing...protein, iron, calcium, etc. Or if I'm ingesting too much cholesterol or sodium.

I encourage you to do the steps even if you dislike them. Documentation, Discipline and Accountability pays off big time. As of today, I have lost 55.5 pounds but I've also stopped eating sugar, chips and empty calories. I am learning that when my body is hungry is wants NUTRITION not calories. Documenting makes me accountable to my body that I will provide what it needs most.

Good luck - wish you all the best.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I demand that the entire site is converted immediately to Newtons. That's both for weighing food and weighing humans. Newtons are the SI unit for weight so everyone must just get over their old archaic units, and drop the concept of "weighing" things in units of mass. And because the weight of something changes depending on the gravitational field you happen to be subjected to at the time, there needs to be a clicky-box select option for people living on other planets, or on the moon, or in space stations.

:bigsmile: :tongue: :flowerforyou: :drinker:

alternatively, just use whatever units you want, and stop assuming that just because you don't measure your food in any particular unit, that no-one else does. Log your food in bales or bushels if you are so inclined, so long as you're consistent and base it on accurate data. This site for converting units is great, they have pretty much every unit you could think of. Just don't try to convert volume units to weight/mass units and vice versa, because it's different depending on the density of what you're measuring (think 1lb of muscle or fat debate...) http://www.onlineconversion.com/

(though weighing food (whether you use units of mass or weight to do so) is more accurate, so long as the gravitational field remains constant. So if you want to be really accurate, do that.)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    On the flip side, when it does list the number of a given item (like potato chips for example), I often wonder how that works given that all chips are not the same size...I guess I could just pull out 16 of the biggest chips in the bag and call it a day...

If you're the only one eating from that bag of chips, and the last serving is 16 of the smallest chips that were left, that would even out...