Question about ground turkey

Options
Does it always smell a little weird? Wasn't past it's use by date and not a rotten smell, just weird.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    As long as it's not slimy and the packaging is secure, you're good. It's hard to describe a fresh smell.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t use it.
    I always buy fresh ground turkey and use it for everything I’ve used ground beef for. I’ve never noticed a smell. The first time I bought ground turkey, I purchased in the round chubs (like what pork sausage comes in sometimes). We hated it. I didn’t buy it again until someone suggested purchasing the fresh ground turkey. A world of difference in taste & especially texture. I haven’t purchased ground beef in over 7 years. Nothing wrong with ground beef, my husband just likes ground turkey better.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a funny smell with vacuum packaged meat. While this article is mostly about frozen meat, I think it applies:

https://blueskyranch.ca/blogs/beasty-bible/93479110-frozen-meat-facts-storing-handling-defrosting

Meat that has been deprived of oxygen will become darker. It can also have a funny smell when the package is first opened. This smell is in no way an indication that there is a problem with the meat. It is known as "confinement odour" and is a result of the vacuum sealing process. After a few minutes, the smell will disappear and the colour will return to normal.

IMO, vacuum packaged meat doesn't taste as good, so I no longer buy it. My OH doesn't noticed the difference, but then, he is fine with burgers from McDonald's so...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    Supermarket poultry can have off smells, I think depending on the feed given. When we lived in the Netherlands, my husband always complained about the cooking smell from supermarket chicken. I believe chickens there are commonly fed fish meal. Since moving to the UK, he never complains about this anymore. Try buying your ground turkey from a butcher that specializes in organic, free range poultry.