Feeling Frustrated

Options
I'm feeling rather frustrated. I have been following a macro plan from my gym for about 3 weeks now, it is high protein and moderate carb and fat. I have also been doing cross fit style work outs at least 3 days a week while getting 10,000 steps a day. I have been sticking to the plan pretty closely minus a tailgate weekend back at my alma mater.

I stepped on the scale this morning and am down 1lb. 1lb is something, however the plan I am following says I should be losing 2lbs/week based on my TDEE and my calories in.

I think my diary is open if anyone wants to provide feedback! Really just wanting to vent :)

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you change your work out plan? How much weight do you have to lose? Losing 2 lbs per week doesn't work as well or as predictably as one might like when you have less weight to lose. Adding or changing workouts will pile on a bit of water weight in recovery. Just *changing* my carbs tends to add on a few pounds of water weight for me. When I add a lot of protein I also usually find myself adding rather a lot of salt - which adds on water weight.

Give your body a few more weeks to adjust into the rhythm, and maybe also adjust your expectations and shoot for a more reasonable goal loss/week.

Patience is hard. Very very hard.

Make sure you get your rest days in. Make sure you're getting good quality sleep. And make sure your measurements on both food and calorie burn are as tight as you can get them.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Is the exercise and 10,000 steps/day new? If so, you are retaining water which will mask fat loss.

Otherwise I noticed you don't use a food scale but instead measure in cups and similar serving sizes. That is often fine for people just starting out and/or with a lot of weight to lose but you gain more accuracy weighing everything in grams on a food scale. Especially since packaging labels can be off by up to 20%. As an example, I haven't bought Sargento cheese in a long time, but 90 calories seems low for a half cup of mozzarella. I would generally estimate that to be more in the 120-150 calorie range. Weighing the cheese on a food scale would give you a more accurate accounting of the amount you are eating and subsequent calories.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    torid10 wrote: »
    I'm feeling rather frustrated. I have been following a macro plan from my gym for about 3 weeks now, it is high protein and moderate carb and fat. I have also been doing cross fit style work outs at least 3 days a week while getting 10,000 steps a day. I have been sticking to the plan pretty closely minus a tailgate weekend back at my alma mater.

I stepped on the scale this morning and am down 1lb. 1lb is something, however the plan I am following says I should be losing 2lbs/week based on my TDEE and my calories in.

I think my diary is open if anyone wants to provide feedback! Really just wanting to vent :)

What is your height and weight?
    How many calories are you eating?
    How accurately are you logging your food? Are you using a food scale?
    When you change your diet and your exercise you are going to see some water weight fluctuations that can make your scale weight useless for a couple of weeks.
    And unless you have a lot of weight to lose, 2 lbs per week is simply not realistic, regardless of what your gym said. Keep in mind that unless your gym has someone with legit nutrition certifications, personal trainers are not usually qualified to give personalized diet advice, though that doesn't necessarily stop them from trying.
  • torid10
    torid10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your feedback! I have been exercising on my own and getting my steps in for the last couple months, I just wasn't being diligent about my food. One habit at a time?! I started the crossfit type workouts about 3 weeks ago. I have at least 50lbs to lose so I was hoping to see the numbers moving a little faster I guess.

I am 5'3 and using a food scale for almost everything. I weigh my bars, tear apart premade salads, weigh, and log things individually, etc. When I have a glass of wine I am even weighing that!

Thank you guys again!!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements? Often when the scale isn’t my friend the tape measure is... it’s possible that you’re losing fat and gaining some muscle with all the protein and CrossFit. If you haven’t taken “before” measurements I’d definitely suggest doing them now so you can see the progress in another few weeks.