Emotional binge eaters

Options
All emotional binge eaters - please post your stories here - what are your triggers? Have you been able to overcome them? Are you getting better at managing them?

For me when I fight with my husband i just want to give up - like why am I trying so hard when he doesn't even care? Why should I care about me? Then I will go eat a bag of crisps or a chocolate. And then think my diet is ruined anyway so I make bad choices the rest of the day.

I also started to equate weight loss with being sick. 2 years ago I lost about 12 kilograms in 2 months due to a very bad intestinal bacterial infection - I almost went into liver failure. So now when the scale drops I'm happy but at the back of my mind I think I need to eat something that tastes good (but is very bad) so I can gain it back to prove to myself I'm not getting sick again - yup I'm weird!

What is your story?

Replies

• caprihana
    caprihana Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I used to turn to food when I was unhappy too, I was FAT. Not now, I'm getting there. What I'd say to you is this......

You are a beautiful woman, you should be proud of yourself. When you fight, don't eat and think that it's all a waste of time because he doesn't care. You look fantastic, beautiful and happy and he'll notice. Even if it is that everyone else is noticing you because of your attitude. Be proud of who you are, be confident. If you want to add me to your friend list I'd be happy to accept, I'll motivate you if you'd like :-)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    My story is very different. When I feel bad or mad, for whatever reason, I quit eating or exercising. I just shut down. And gain weight. When I’m happy, I eat. And lose weight.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My triggers are stress, boredom and emotional and physical pain, and anxiety.

Logging definitely helps me understand the behavior. For anxiety, I use tools I learned in counseling. For stress and boredom going on a walk outside has been great for coping. Emotional pain- mindfulness, radical acceptance and self-compassion work. I have not found something to help with physical pain. I used to have knee pain and ate sugar to cope constantly when I wasn't even hungry. The knee pain was resolved years ago so I don't deal with a lot of pain now. I hurt my foot a few weeks ago and my craving to binge on sugar was intense. I think mindfulness could help in theory, fortunately I don't deal with a lot of physical pain now so I haven't had to find a solution.
  • yobeme
    yobeme Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My trigger is work stress. Although I eat well during the day, after work I find myself having alcohol and junk food to deal with the stress.

Unfortunately I haven't found a strategy to combat this yet. I won't buy alcohol or junk food during my weekly shop but find myself stopping to pick it up after work. I am aware of what I am doing but just don't have the willpower to resist after a hard day at work.

I also let exercise go when I get really stressed at work and I think this is what I need to add more of to combat the stress.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I’m a stress eater. It’s such a hard habit to break! I still feel a strong urge to turn to food when I’m stressed. I’ve worked on finding other coping mechanisms. Journaling, knitting, running, a hot bath, mindless television (Bob’s Burgers is my de-stress and laugh show). Even with all those options that I know help, I still really want to turn to food a lot of the time. Which is part of why I log everything before I eat it. Seeing that it will put me way over my goal does help me make better choices.
  • yobeme
    yobeme Posts: 169 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Logging your food before eating it is a good idea. I should try that at the point of buying the junk food so I know what my diary will look like at the end of the day. This might stop me buying it or motivate me to choose something with less calories. Thanks for the tip @Shortgirlrunning
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Work in progress. But what has helped me the most, is what I call my me first thought process. I am a good person, I deserve to be happy, I will do what it takes to get there. Kind of a mantra I talk to myself lots.

I have really learned by reading so many posts, that logging is a huge help. And also if I know what I am going to have for breakfast for say 7 days in a row, I pre-log for week. Often I pre-log breakfast and snacks, which keep me from going off the rails. The other thing I learned from reading posts, is at times I bank maybe 75 calories a day for 3 or 4 days so if there is an event coming up. I can eat a bit more and not have that crappy guilt feeling. So instead of being so caught up on every day total. I look more to how did I do this week in total.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Just binge. Just enjoy it. Don't beat yourself over it. And get on the wagon again.
  • shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    @Designer20698 my mom retired a few years ago and she also had no idea what to do. She found a retirees group and now she is always busy - they do volunteer work, classes, short courses, day trips, lunch dates etc. Depending on what your interests are you could join craft courses, exercise classes, dance classes, do short online classes, volunteering etc I was retrenched this year and I've taken up watercolour painting
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I binge when I'm bored. If I have something to keep me opcupied or a project to work on I only eat when I'm hungry. So those evening TV shows equal lots of snaking. Which scares me because I'm retiring in December. I have to either find a lot of projects or get a hobby quick. Any suggetions?

Well, you could do like my mom and have a 250 year old house and extensive gardens that constantly require upkeep :lol:

A few years ago, in her late 70s, she spent quite a bit of the summer up on a ladder, scraping and painting.

She's finally agreed with me that she should stop being on ladders and has other people clean out the gutters these days.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I binge when I'm bored. If I have something to keep me opcupied or a project to work on I only eat when I'm hungry. So those evening TV shows equal lots of snaking. Which scares me because I'm retiring in December. I have to either find a lot of projects or get a hobby quick. Any suggetions?

Some kind of handicraft such as knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, embroidery, etc. anything that can be done while you watch TV and keeps your hands busy instead of reaching for snacks. Plus you don’t want to get your creations dirty!
  • soofa93
    soofa93 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    pjwrt wrote: »
    Tension/anxiety will push me to overeating comfort foods. I mean, back in the fat ol' days, a box of Entenmanns would make the discomfort go away. Donuts are a no-go now.

Last night was the first time in a year that I emotionally overate, plus had a whole Mexican apple cup dealie--all homemade, by the way. The original anxiety was forgotten because it got replaced with the anxiety overeating gives me.

Today, I forewent the customary large Sunday breakfast and rode the chopper an hour and then the bicycle for an hour to amend my backsliding ways.

Next time, I'll just resolve the anxiety before picking up a skillet.

My trigger is same as yours😩 anxiety and stress make me eat so much and even if I feel full I cannot stop eating 😕
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I used to refer to myself as an emotional eater but I don't any more.

I kinda realised that I was using this as a convenient excuse to eat. It was a way of absolving myself of responsibility for my behaviour. It wasn't my fault I was eating, I'm just an emotional eater. It's beyond my control so I can't be blamed.

That changed the day I realised that I could only fix things for which I accepted responsibility. If I was going to take control I also had to take responsibility. From that day on I accepted no excuses from myself, nothing was not my fault and therefore nothing was beyond my ability to fix.

It was scary, but ultimately very empowering and liberating.

Your experience makes sense, I think for others - you can recognize your pattern of overeating is being influenced by emotion and still take responsibility. For me recognizing I'm an emotional eater means the fix wasn't in my nutrition alone but also working on my emotional well-being- counseling, emotionally healthy habits, etc. For some people finding the right combination of protein, fat, fiber, and enjoyment is enough to stop them from wanting to overeat. Or maybe it's just the habit of logging and willpower to stick to it. For me it's the nutrition plus processing my stress, doing my counseling work, getting walks, etc. We do have control over our emotions- although some of us need extra help with out emotional health and there's no shame in needing help. (edit to add: by saying we have control over out emotions I mean we have a choice to work on our mental health and emotional well-being. In some cases of severe depression, etc. functioning and ability are more limited. You don't know until you've walked in someone else's shoes! No judgement here.)
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Just binge. Just enjoy it. Don't beat yourself over it. And get on the wagon again.

Stupid advice. (sorry, but).
    I can do this every day for 2 weeks or more!