"Calories burned" estimations...

Options
On MFP when you enter an exercise that you performed, it predicts the amount of calories that you burned. I realize it's a general estimation but has anyone "checked" it to see if it's near accurate? Sometimes I feel like it OVER-estimates the amount of calories burned. I try not to eat back those calories so it doesn't necessarily matter I guess, but I was just curious. :)

Also, I'm fairly new to the community so if you're a rad person, feel free to add me. :) And if you're okay with the fact that I just used the word "rad", definitely add me. hehe.

Good night!

Replies

• SomewhatCool
    Options
    I've never been able to test it myself, but from what I've gathered on MFP, the site tends to overestimate calories burned.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have not checked, no means of doing so, but after a year on MFP I have found a lot of folk reckon MFP over estimates calories used in any form of exercise, like you I do not eat them back so to me it makes no difference
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Before I got my heart rate monitor I used to just use the MFP given ones. At them all back as well. still lost cause I was still eating less than my TDEE anyway. Since getting my HRM middle of last year I noticed the MFP was under estimating for me. But that was me, no idea about other people.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately they're inconsistent. Running and walking aren't bad. Some of the machine ones that don't allow you to change intensity are terrible.

but, they're all better than nothing! Go with your gut, if it seems high, adjust it down.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    I recently got a HRM watch and whenever I do exercises no matter what it is I use it and I have found that MFP has been underestimating my calories that I have burned so I just adjust it and I also use an app on my phone called Digifit cardio which I use with certain exercises.

Friends request sent
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    In some cases they are overestimated but in other (for me) they have actually been underestimated. I use my ipod with a built in Nike app so that helps give a more accurate result.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    If it was as simple as they over estimate, then they'd adjust. Any method is just an estimate so many people just eat back some of their exercise calories.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have set 'active' in my fitness profile so, to some extent, what I burn is already taken into account in my daily calories goal.
    I really don't care how much MFP says I burned, it's all a question of monitor and adjust... if I'm losing, fine, if not I reduce the calories/increase cardio.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You can override the calories when you enter exercise I never understand the fuss. I don't enter exercise calories on here just food but when I did if the treadmill said I'd burnt 500 calories in 50 minutes I'd deduct 20% and enter 400 in MFP (As treadmills tend to overestimate too) then eat back 3/4 of the 400 to ensure I didn't eat at maintenance.
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Since I've gotten my heart monitor to measure the calories I use up during exercise I have discovered that MFP wildly overestimates exercise calories.
  • tonythebuick
    Options
    It seems like the estimate are way over. It gave me 439 cals for 1/2 hr of treadmill. My treadmill gave me 217 for the same workout. The treadmill could be off but that is a huge difference.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For me, it's been accurate for running/walking, drastically underestimates horse-riding and slightly overestimates circuit training :huh:
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It varies. No online tool is going to be able to tell you the exact number of calories your body is burning. Use them as an estimate & a guide only. If MFP says I burned 300 calories in half an hour and I didn't even break a sweat, I generally assume it's overestimating.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I usually check my exercise calories on several other sites as well as MFP and then enter a mid way figure on here. It's all approximate so just use it as a rough guide....like everything else.
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    Walking and running were pretty accurate when I used my HRM. Zumba was pretty accurate too! Everything else was overestimated generally around 20-30%.
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone-- just as I assumed. I hadn't considered getting my own heart rate monitor, though. That might help.

Yesterday I was at a theme park (took my own food in a cooler, thank you very much lol) so I entered 90 minutes of slow paced walking (although we were there ALL DAY) and it said 411 calories burned for a slow paced walk. I just know some high intensity work out classes estimate about a 500 calorie burn in 60 minutes so it didn't make sense to me- mainly because of intensity level differences.

I'll definitely just take it as an estimate though-- and like I said, I don't plan to eat back my calories burned-- actually that brings me to another question if you don't mind:

My calorie daily goal is about 1320. If I work out and burn.... let's just say 300 calories.... is it okay that I choose not to eat back those calories? Maybe that's not healthy either.... (I'm just getting into the monitoring and the "science" of calories in, calories out. I've never counted calories before- which is probably why I'm at this point lol.)