One piece of *local* fruit a day to Xmas challenge

Hi everyone!
So I have a problem: I really am not into fruit. I eat low sugar fruit preserves, but that doesn't really count. If you exclude those, I can go a week or more without eating a piece of fresh fruit.
Now this is going to change! Anyone who is like me (or not, you are welcome too!) Join this challenge: check in every day or every week and report your progress! Extra points for eating more fruit.
The second part of this challenge is: social and environmental awareness. Local and seasonal fruit counts double -- i.e. the fruit wasn't shipped to more than 200 miles away, or worse, halfway across the globe. (Bananas, mangoes, etc. are "pass day" fruits in this scheme unless you live in the tropics... and so are any fruit produced in modern slavery-like conditions, such as Spanish and Moroccan strawberries).
Feel free to add your thoughts on how to improve the challenge, and good luck!! :)
Alice the fruit-o-phobe

PS. my piece of fruit today is an apple.

Replies

• alice_climbs_rocks
    alice_climbs_rocks Posts: 42 Member
    One apple a day for the last two days.
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    I love your thought process! I make sure I only eat australian fruit and veg, its hard with the drought but i try to get as close to me as possible. I'm not the best at making sure I eat one or two pieces a day so I'll be making sure to eat one a day till xmas.

• OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    I'm Blessed with an apple tree and a pear tree, so my fruit is very local! I also have berry bushes for Summertime fruit. I am making fruit sauces and butters, all with no sugar added, so I'm set for all Winter. Today I had a fresh pear. Yummy!
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    I started October committing to minimum 5 servings fruits and vegetables a day from each color group. I am committed to eating fruits and veggies but living in upper midwest we are ending our season of local available produce shortly. Made Ratatouille yesterday, had for lunch today, used eggplant, zucchini, green/ yellow bell peppers- all from Michigan, Frozen blueberries and cherries for breakfast from farm down the street. Half a banana and spinach- sure it is from more then 1000 miles away. Mashed Parsnips and mushrooms- bought at farmers market grown in Indiana for dinner tonight
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    So I had a blood orange each day the first two days and yesterday I had a huge navel Orange and some strawberries. Planning another big orange in my smoothie today. It's been nice eating the fruit and hopefully the vitamin c will help me boost my iron.
  • Anabirgite
    edited November 2019
    Love blood oranges... but had a grown faraway orange orange, Michigan apple, Indiana Blueberries, Michigan Cherries smoothie this morning... Going to farmers market tomorrow will see whats in season now that we are reaching freezing lows.
  • Awesome everyone! Thanks so much for joining in the challenge. I was away for a few days of blessed internet-free holidays and am back... Today's fruit was an apple and yesterday a Clémentine. I am pretty sure they came from no further than Europe. Someone in my family also gave me a piece of mango as part of ready made fruit salad.. so there was my farthest traveled piece of fruit in a while!
    Cheers and see you tomorrow 😊😁
  • Today my piece of fruit was an apple. What an achievement 😂😂
  • An apple a day keeps the doctor away! B)
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    I've had a bowl of blood orange and kiwi fruit the last 3 days in a row. The blood oranges are from the next state over though they've gone up in price now so that's probably the end of those unfortunately.

I didn't realise when I bought them that my kiwis are from NZ so I'll be making sure the next lot are Aussie. Also had a peach yesterday, it's coming into stonefruit season here in Australia so lots of really yummy fruit options will be opening up soon!
  • Peaches and kiwis are among my favorite fruit!!
    Yesterday my piece of fruit was two clementines.
  • Yesterday, an apple from the garden
  • Anabirgite
    One of every color with only blueberries grown locally...
  • Another two Apples from the garden!
  • Three clémentines!
  • Half an orange :#