Embracing Fruits πŸ‰ & Veggies 🌢

I grew up in a meat eating/carnivorous family & where veggies were usually deep fried (fried okra, fried potatoes, fried onions). I am trying to go raw, fruits & vegetables; no butter, no oil...I hope I can do this. Which vegetables/fruits are your favorites to eat raw???

Replies

• jendfaz
    jendfaz Posts: 12 Member
    Fuji apples, grapes, bananas, pineapple for fruit.
    Carrots and bell peppers for veggies.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Which vegetables/fruits are your favorites to eat raw???

My answer: all of them! I have a giant salad every day with baby spinach, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli, black olives, green peppers, carrots, chickpeas (except those are cooked), and anything else I can find. I also like plain Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Tomatoes cucumuber red onion feta in salad with weighed dressing. Frozen blueberries and yoghurt. Apples. Bananas after the gym. Kumura cooked. Pumpkin cooked. Brocoli :)
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Spinach, grape tomatoes, red bell peppers, cucumbers, green onions, radishes, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, sugar snap peas... Pretty much, that's the base of my salads, depending on what's in season. I like to put in fresh blue berries or mandarin oranges and sunflower seeds, ham, cheese, chicken, and then I put on salt, pepper, and some balsamic vinegar and shovel it down my gullet. OMNOMNOM.

My kiddo likes all of those things as well, but she prefers to eat them SEPARATELY, NEVER TOUCHING, and dips each piece in ranch dressing or honey mustard.

To each their own.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,733 Member
    Celeriac, jicama, hakurei turnips, kohlrabi, jackfruit, guavas, in addition to all the regular stuff others have mentioned. I especially like cucumbers.

Lastest new thing: Pawpaws (the US native kind). So good!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,714 Member
    I love roasted okra! Now I want some but it’s not in season! So, it’s not raw, but it’s another way to eat a delicious veggie without it it being fried.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Why do you have to eat them raw?

That said, most fruit I eat raw -- berries, apples, clementines and oranges, pears, peaches, plums, on and on. Including avocados!

Vegetables? Carrots and celery, tomatoes (I also eat cooked and I only eat raw in season), kohlrabi, radishes, cucumber, jicama, anything good on a salad (greens, peppers, onions, everything already mentioned, broccoli, cauliflower).

But most of the veg I like raw I also like cooked, and there are some benefits to cooking many veg, which is why I usually have some raw and some cooked daily. Well, that and tastiness, as I enjoy both raw and cooked veg.

I also sometimes include cooked fruit in dishes -- recent delish dish was roasted winter squash stuffed with sausage, cooked apples, and various on hand veg. Moroccan tagines usually incorporate dried fruit; various Sicilian dishes incorporate raisins (and other middle eastern influences).
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Apples, bananas, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, mandarins, peaches, plums, tomatoes, zucchini, avocado, green beans, and spinach are the top of my list.

I know you said raw because you want to try them without any fat, but roasted vegetables are amazing! Just a very small amount of oil or butter, salt, pepper, and some other seasoning like garlic, ginger, or chile powder. Stick them in the oven until starting to get brown and enjoy.

Applesauce is super easy to make without any fat. Apples, water, and cinnamon.