Planet fitness. Y/n?

Options
I decided I wanted to try it out because its really cheap and I can afford $10 a month while saving for my vacation. But I looked them up online and the reviews are the worst I've ever read. Ever. Anyone have personal experience with them? Is it worth it or not?

Replies

• BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. I heard they are not really "serious" gyms but take that for what its worth.
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It is a room filled with workout equipment for $10 a month... I like it.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Love it! for $20 a month u get to tan.....
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're looking for. The PF gyms in my area contain cardio equiptment with weight machines (no free weights.) If you're looking for something like that, then I say go for it.

However, if your PF gym is like mine and you want to use free weights, I suggest you continue looking.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    The one in my town has free weights, but they are dumbbells less than 50 pounds and no barbells at all. It's basically a room with 3987520957209357 treadmills and one little line of dumbbells with a couple of benches.

Oh, but they do have free pizza on Saturdays...

My vote would be no, unless you just want to do cardio.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    But I looked them up online and the reviews are the worst I've ever read. Ever.

Um, didn't that answer your question? :noway: If these are reviews referring to locations anywhere from 10- 500 miles from you, then they're worthless. If they're the reviews on your local PF, then don't bother asking people on the internet, you have your answer. Bottom line is that I think you want someone to tell you it's OK. So just go there and have a look for yourself, If it suits your goals while you're saving up for vacation, then go for it.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where you are and what you are looking for. The one in my hometown did have a lot of dumbbells and only a few barbells in addition to all the cardio and weight equipment. I went and I liked it because I mostly do strength machines and cardio when I couldn't do it outside. The environment was pretty friendly and low-pressure and it was mostly high school students and middle-aged people who were going just to stay in shape. However, there were also two women there who were pretty successful in female bodybuilding competitions and were pretty ripped, so obviously the equipment is what you make of it.

The one near my university was huge and had lots of cardio and strength training machines in addition to a huge heavy lifting section. I'm guessing this is because it was in a big college town, so a lot of its patrons were young, buff men. The environment was different there too. It was mostly young people, a lot of "bros," but there were also a few older people and less fit people there.

I would suggest you do a trial membership at your local PF if you can and see how it is. The environment (and possibly equipment) will differ depending on where you are. It's not a bad gym. A lot of people don't like it because it's not as "serious" or because some don't have a lot of heavy lifting equipment, but like I pointed out before, it's what you make of the equipment. If you are just starting at a gym and your local PF has all or most of the equipment your looking for, I would say go for it. Obviously price is an issue for you and Planet Fitness is definitely a good value.
  • Spedden
    Spedden Posts: 207
    Options
    Planet Fitness is WONDERFUL! Open 24/7, and lots of equipment. Friendly staff, and they do have trainers to help you - look for the schedule at the front desk.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It is a room filled with workout equipment for $10 a month... I like it.

Yep, I agree with this. I belong to World Gym and Fitness 19.
    World is awesome, but it's across town. Since I moved, it's a pita to get to.
    Fitness 19 is within walking distance. It doesn't have the same feel and it's much smaller, but I go...
    That in itself makes it a great gym,
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    A gym you'll get to is better than one you won't - that should be the first consideration. Cheap and inconvenient won't be used. If you plan on lifting heavy free weights you'll find PF not conducive to that. (No deadlift rule).
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I didn't mind it, was cheap & got the job done for me. I don't go there anymore b/c I had baby #3 and it was more sufficient for me to work out at home but it def wasn't the worst experience ever lol.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It is a room filled with cardio equipment for $10 a month...

I fixed that for you.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Depends. It's fine if you're looking for a cardio center. Not fine if you're looking for a strength gym.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Depends. It's fine if you're looking for a cardio center. Not fine if you're looking for a strength gym.

QFT.

I think it has its place, its a niche gym that specializes in cardio. Good for people who are intimidated by gyms. No contract, so you can go elsewhere when you inevitably outgrow it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Read the reviews of MOST franchise gyms.
    Heck, the review of my current fancy gym is horrible.

It depends what you want out of a gym. If you want a million cardio machines and some weight machines and good hours for $10 it might be just want you want.

I used it in the dead of winter last year when I was between gyms and just needed a treadmill (was doing weights at my work gym). It wasn't horrible.

Read the fine print.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness wasn't for me, didn't felt like I got anything out of it when I worked plus any place that has fitness in it's name that has bagel morning and pizza party night not a place for me
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness wasn't for me, didn't felt like I got anything out of it when I worked plus any place that has fitness in it's name that has bagel morning and pizza party night not a place for me

free food doesn't have calories.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options

free food doesn't have calories.

Why am I just hearing about this?
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love my gym, new gym one year old. I alternate both upright and recumb bike, ellipt, treadmill, and then do wts. for 30 minutes. If you don't know how to use the wts. they have available use the personal trainer time, (you sign up) and get him/her to show you exactly what you need to lift, push, etc. to get a good wt. training session in. I love that no one is there to impress others, no sports bras with strutting 20 year olds. Get my workout in and leave. No kids running around everywhere like Lifetime. (my 3 kids are older now)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    For a beginner PF is the place to start. It's cheap, has the right equipment, trainers available, and the intimidation factor is low.

The reviews you read are frequently from hardcore lifters and bodybuilders. You have to look at who is actually reviewing. Most just hate to hate.

I myself did PF for about 8 months. I loved it, but I went with a clear focus on what I wanted out of it. I didn't eat at the pizza nights or bagel mornings. I went at 4-5am when only the serious people are there. Sadly I outgrew them and started doing CrossFit.

If you are looking to do Olympic Lifting or serious barbell complexes then you need to look elsewhere than PF, but for cardio and basic free weights and machines they are fine.

As others have said, it's a 24/7 room filled with weights and cardio gear for $10/mo. Go for it.