hip flexor help...

I was practicing soccer today and felt a sudden pain in the front of my right hip when I was contracting my knee/leg upwards for a kick. At first I thought I had pulled my quad b/c the pain radiated but it seems to be originating from the hip flexor. It feels quite minor, as I can still walk and do a light run without any symptoms, but kicking and contracting hurts a bit. I took some advil and am icing, and gently stretching the area. I will take the week off from leg work at the gym, and from soccer.

Question: what kind of exercises can I do and when in the meantime to help it along?

And is it okay to do the elliptical machine, or rowing, or cycling (all involving a bit of contraction) right now? (for cardio)

I'd like to swim too, but unsure if freestyle kicking is too much (even though the contractions are small...)?

Or just rest it for the week completely?

Any ideas?

I don't feel it's bad enough to make a doctor's appointment and it only occurred a few hours ago, but do wish to stay active during the week while I monitor it and help it heal. If it doesn't get better then I'll contact my doctor.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    In general, I would not do anything that hurts unless you have checked with your doctor first. Without knowing exactly what the injury is, we can't really give advice about what activities to do. We don't know whether it's a mild strain, for example, or something else. I would personally continue rest and ice, and see the doctor if that doesn't help within a few days.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    In general, I would not do anything that hurts unless you have checked with your doctor first. Without knowing exactly what the injury is, we can't really give advice about what activities to do. We don't know whether it's a mild strain, for example, or something else. I would personally continue rest and ice, and see the doctor if that doesn't help within a few days.

Yeah, I guess resting is best unless I know what's going on. Bummed because I like to be active everyday! But, I'll work out my upper body tomorrow, and maybe swim without kicking, or do one legged practice. Thanks.

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited October 2019
    I am having the same pain for the last 6 months or so. Eventually I was a physio last week - sometimes one muscle seems to get stronger, the opposite one not so. Same with ligaments - she did a rather painful massage and something called "dry needling" which gave quick pain relief. I was given exercise and I am to continue (light) water aerobics but to take it easy with walking. I was also told that with my weight loss so far (43 kg) my body is re - adjusting and that takes time. I do miss the exercise I used to do very much but also understand that my thigh muscles / ligaments need a little rest. Pain still lurking around when walking, will see physio for a follow up visit next week. Best pain relief so far: Hold onto a chair and swing one leg forwards and backwards - don't force it but let it swing. Same with other leg. Start with a couple of minutes, over time a bit longer with a higher leg swing. 3 times a day, so far so good.
  • surfbug808
    I am having the same pain for the last 6 months or so. Eventually I was a physio last week - sometimes one muscle seems to get stronger, the opposite one not so. Same with ligaments - she did a rather painful massage and something called "dry needling" which gave quick pain relief. I was given exercise and I am to continue (light) water aerobics but to take it easy with walking. I was also told that with my weight loss so far (43 kg) my body is re - adjusting and that takes time. I do miss the exercise I used to do very much but also understand that my thigh muscles / ligaments need a little rest. Pain still lurking around when walking, will see physio for a follow up visit next week. Best pain relief so far: Hold onto a chair and swing one leg forwards and backwards - don't force it but let it swing. Same with other leg. Start with a couple of minutes, over time a bit longer with a higher leg swing. 3 times a day, so far so good.

6 months is a long time to tolerate! I usually head to the Dr's if the pain doesn't go away in a week, to avoid chronic issues (been there, done that). I actually scheduled a physio appt tmrw in case, to nip it in the bud. I've been doing gentle quad and hip stretching, but no massaging. A friend of mine experienced pain in her quad and assumed it was just a tight muscle, and a RMT massaged it. Unfortunately, the self-diagnosis was inaccurate and as was the RMT's assumption, and the massage ended up tearing it, making it much worse. She ended up off her leg for 3 months and couldn't even sit down...

The exercises you are doing sound gentle enough, though I'm going to wait 'til I'm cleared by my PT first (injury occurred yesterday and I see him in tomorrow a.m.). I think it's good you saw your PT and are getting professional guidance now, and regular movement that feels good. And Congratulations on your weight-loss! Superb! I think you'll continue to feel better all around as you adjust. I must practice some patience as I heal!
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    edited October 2019
    For years, I had bumps, bruises and strains about the hip areas that happened a variety of ways that I rarely got checked or treated. Over time that I'm sure, along with aging process contributed greatly to the deterioration of my hips and diminished mobility that I stupidly resisted dealing with until this year and for years foolishly tried to live with. Hip replacements pretty much saved me. NO MATTER HOW MINOR THE PAIN SEEMS, GET IT CHECKED AND IF IT'S SOMETHING EASILY DEALT WITH, TREAT IT.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If you want to swim, consider using a pull buoy to eliminate the need to kick.
  • surfbug808
    lorrpb wrote: »

Great idea! I don't have a pull bouy, but I sometimes use one provided at the pool. The other thing I do (in the ocean) is wear my fins without kicking, just to maintain posture/floatation. We also practice injury swimming (swimming as if injured), and now that I actually am... will put it to use! I'll plan to do a swim tomorrow, after my PT appt!

Hope you are still swimming too @lorrpb ! :wink:

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    surfbug808 wrote: »

6 months is a long time to tolerate! I usually head to the Dr's if the pain doesn't go away in a week, to avoid chronic issues (been there, done that). I actually scheduled a physio appt tmrw in case, to nip it in the bud. I've been doing gentle quad and hip stretching, but no massaging. A friend of mine experienced pain in her quad and assumed it was just a tight muscle, and a RMT massaged it. Unfortunately, the self-diagnosis was inaccurate and as was the RMT's assumption, and the massage ended up tearing it, making it much worse. She ended up off her leg for 3 months and couldn't even sit down...

The exercises you are doing sound gentle enough, though I'm going to wait 'til I'm cleared by my PT first (injury occurred yesterday and I see him in tomorrow a.m.). I think it's good you saw your PT and are getting professional guidance now, and regular movement that feels good. And Congratulations on your weight-loss! Superb! I think you'll continue to feel better all around as you adjust. I must practice some patience as I heal!

Thank you so much for your kind words. 6 months IS a long time but pain pattern changed just about daily. Must admit that it got worse over time. Have not been walking for a week now (and missing it very much indeed), just doing basic exercise as advised. Leg / thigh / flexor ligament virtually pain free, will do gentle water aerobics tomorrow. Next physio appointment in a few days time. Thank you, have a great day!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    surfbug808 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

Great idea! I don't have a pull bouy, but I sometimes use one provided at the pool. The other thing I do (in the ocean) is wear my fins without kicking, just to maintain posture/floatation. We also practice injury swimming (swimming as if injured), and now that I actually am... will put it to use! I'll plan to do a swim tomorrow, after my PT appt!

Hope you are still swimming too @lorrpb ! :wink:

Yes at least twice a week!
  • surfbug808
    Update: Saw my physio today about the hip flexor issue and it turns out to be a strain on the fascia (not muscle). So, contrary to what I assumed (via the Google) I am NOT to stretch the area! Instead, focus on moving, lightly. Walking, swimming (flutter kick), cycling, rowing... he applied pressure to the tense area, and along the area of pain. I am to hold off on intense contractions (e.g. box jumps, steep elliptical), but okay to keep doing my weighted posterior exercises (e.g. squats, deadlifts etc). Thankfully, the strain seems minor, and I should be back to normal in a week (fingers crossed)!

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Hope to remain injury free going forward.