fasting question (not intermittent)

hey all! i know that juices, cleanses, detoxes, etc are all BS - the only way to lose weight is by burning more calories than i eat for sustainable, healthy weight loss. i also know long-term fasting isn't the best. however, i feel like starting off weight loss with a couple day fast (like 4 days) helps me to "reset" my taste buds and get me in the mindset for being better (obviously i'd break the fast with reasonable amounts of good foods, not a binge).

so my question is - if i'm just doing a 4-day fast (i've done plenty of fasts over the past couple of years before, so i'm experienced with fasting too), would that be bad? or if i stay conscious of my body & how i'm feeling, make sure to ease back into eating healthy afterwards, and use a fast to reset my mindset for weight loss, would that be a bad thing?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Modifying your food habits and acquired tastes takes a lot of time... I have read that it takes a minimum of 6 weeks and it requires eating the food you wish to eat and cutting down on the food you don't. I have no idea how that 6 weeks is determined.

Even then the changes may be mild. If you go a long time without drinking a full calorie soda you may eventually find it is too sweet for you.

This is a bad idea. You should rethink it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited October 2019
    I've read enough about fasting to believe that many people use fasting for the mood/mind altering effect.

It does create an euphoric response.

It's not a good idea at all unless you're under medical supervision. It can become its own little obsessive compulsion. It can become another addiction or control issue to people who are prone to that kind of thing. Be careful.
  • summyd2745
    summyd2745 Posts: 2 Member
    I don't think you need to fast that long to get a benefit. 24-36 hours should be plenty. Also, your taste buds adjust from eating the same food over and over. Plain steamed broccoli, for example, might taste boring the first time, but if you eat it over and over eventually you will taste the actual food and it might just be delicious! It takes time. I recommend looking into whole foods plant based SOS free eating for some ideas.
  • pence429
    pence429 Posts: 28 Member
    I totally get what your saying; it's a mental thing for me too. Fasting for a few days helps me reset my brain. After a fast, I feel like a glutton when I return to my maintenance routine.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    madis0nliz wrote: »
    hey all! i know that juices, cleanses, detoxes, etc are all BS - the only way to lose weight is by burning more calories than i eat for sustainable, healthy weight loss. i also know long-term fasting isn't the best. however, i feel like starting off weight loss with a couple day fast (like 4 days) helps me to "reset" my taste buds and get me in the mindset for being better (obviously i'd break the fast with reasonable amounts of good foods, not a binge).

so my question is - if i'm just doing a 4-day fast (i've done plenty of fasts over the past couple of years before, so i'm experienced with fasting too), would that be bad? or if i stay conscious of my body & how i'm feeling, make sure to ease back into eating healthy afterwards, and use a fast to reset my mindset for weight loss, would that be a bad thing?

As this sounds like a short-term, motivational thing, I don’t think it’s a big deal. It certainly won’t hurt your body long term. It’s not inherently beneficial, either, so I would put in down as “neutral”. It’s nothing I would suggest to someone, but people do worse things.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,701 MFP Moderator
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    6. Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    I WILL:
    • I will allow members to share experiences without judgment. Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found on our Eating Disorder Resources page.
    • I will understand that people have a complicated relationship with food.

I WON’T:
    • I won’t use any aspect of our service to promote anorexia, bulimia or any unsafe dieting practices.
    • I won’t promote very low-calorie diets.
    • I won’t diagnose other members.
    If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

When discussing fasting, please remember that each individual has his or her own health issues, may be taking medications, etc. Making blanket statements about long-term fasts being great for everyone is not always helpful and may be dangerous.

With respect,
    Sugar
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.