Heart Rate Monitor

I read through a variety of posts about HRMs. There are a lot of them. So in true internet form, I'm starting a new one because I'm too lazy to go through all of them.

I discovered that work will reimburse me up to $250 a year for fitness equipment. This includes shoes and fitness trackers. I'm about to shell out $150 for a pair of Brooks, so I don't want to break the bank. And I don't want to wait until next year when the benefit resets because I plan to replace the shoes in 6-12 months.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    CooSpo Fitness Tracker Ant+ Heart Rate Monitor Chest Strap IP67 Waterproof with Bluetooth for Wahoo Strava Zwift DDP Yoga Map My Ride Peloton Bike https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BS6B4PD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_uWgrxYwPVuBZc
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Left out a key component. No chest strap. They suck and I hate them and they've never worked for me.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    hmhill17 wrote: »
    Left out a key component. No chest strap. They suck and I hate them and they've never worked for me.

Are you looking for accurate or comfortable? Pick one.

Are you running? If so, why not get a $100 Garmin Forerunner. Who cares if it has an HRM or not - its really not that important for most things you do (and if it is then accuracy is very important).
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    hmhill17 wrote: »

Try electrode gel. My wife had the same issue until i bought electrode gel. I use Spectra 360 salt free.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Get a Garmin watch that is within your budget. I like the Vivoactive series. (The Vivoactive 3 is on sale these days.)

The chest straps are more accurate. I have a Wahoo fitness tickr. You have to wet the electrodes for them to work. If you put them on dry skin, they read wonky until a little sweat builds up. But, you said you don't want a chest strap, and the truth is that, since I got my VA3, I don't use it anymore. Although, if I bring it along, it automatically connects to the watch and replaces the optical HR. Pretty slick.