Weightloss not an option

Options
I've recently experienced some health issues that will be ongoing for the rest of my life. Weight did not cause these issues, but it does make it worse. Weightloss is no longer an option nor a vanity thing for me. I just cant seem to get myself doing what needs to be done. We all think that if a health issue forced us we would lose the weight, but low and behold, it's just as much a struggle. I'm motivated mentally, I just cant seem to get the message through. Its frustrating.

Replies

• MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Well if it’s life and death, are you choosing death? It might be a slow and painful one. Is that what you are choosing? I choose life.
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That's harsh, but truthful, I appreciate that. I choose life too. No it's not life or death its major surgery or potentially not.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm sorry you are now experiencing a chronic(?) health condition.

My chronic conditions are fairly minor but have in the past greatly impacted my life. They made me feel frustrated, out of control, and want to indulge in things like eating that seemingly made me happy. The problem of course is that being overweight or obese don't make me happy and eating is a very short-lived joy. So I have had to change my internal narrative. Make weight loss about taking control of an aspect of my life that is within my control. I only have so much control over my chronic conditions and other internal and external factors of my life. But my eating and fitness, and subsequently my weight, are within my control. Taking control of this part of my life is one facet of what keeps me sane when other parts of my life feel chaotic.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I've got a laundry list of medical issues. I also have a family history of early death due to heart disease. I have a canning jar absolutely stuffed with my hospital bracelets.

Does that mean I should sit around and wait to die?

I also choose life.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    What plan are you trying to follow? Some are better than others. I
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Cico, but I'm not doing it very well. I think I need something more restrictive
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Wouldn't you rather enjoy the journey?

I'm really confused.

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Buy a food scale. Weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.
  • rdkdm7
    rdkdm7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had to reset my eating habits with intermittent fasting, it was the only way I could control my hunger and cravings, and binge eating.
    It helped me alot.
    Since I tried to accuratally log my food and be super healthy. It only worked for a short time. I could not stop eating at night it was a struggle.
    So I tried only eating at night.
    And now I can eat without bingeing.
    I can eat one cookie and not ten. I can skip eating a cookie at the bakery sample dept. Without obsessing.
    I can stop eating when there is food in front of me. Without thinking about it and fighting compulsion.
    I try to eat mostley keto and since I am not addicted to suger anymore, I'm not obsessing about food.
    I still eat carbs some days. Like a piece of light oatmeal bread with cheese.
    Sometimes I make pb jelly with the low cal bread and sugar free jelly. And pb2.
    I feel great but it was really tough at first, its not so much anymore.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have a secret, no you are not yet motivated mentally. You may be saying the right words out loud to yourself and others but you are not there yet.

This may not help you out at all, or maybe it will. I read about it somewhere. Make two lists one for all the good reasons to drop some weight. Call it the Pro list. Another list for why not to lose the weight. Work on the lists for a couple of days. They are your lists no one else gets any input at all. Then spend some time going o ver the lists and decide what makes the most sense to you.

I used this method, which is why I am here working on it day by day. I admit I am obese, it will take a long time to get where I intend to go. It is about lots more than just the pounds. It is about my blood sugar staying at good numbers, my A1C I want it to get below 6. I want that darn kidney disease to never get above stage3A. Between you and me, the kidney disease thing with being a type 2 diabetic is what scares me more than any other part. What works for me, low carb, medium fat, higher protein. I do not keep real sweets in the house, I have learned to bake with almond and coconut flour. Alternate sweetners.

But what works for me, might be very different for you, But buy a food scale, weigh all solids before you eat them. Log all food. Start the habit and you can do it. Prep food for meals, that saves time.

You want life, but a decent one right? Well you are going to have to do some work for it. But so worth it. Read the sticky notes. Good luck, Ask Questions.