What you love/hate about hallmark Christmas movies

Options
pizzamyheart
pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
edited October 2019 in Chit-Chat
Hallmark and lifetime started airing their Christmas movies, get this.....on OCTOBER 25!!! Before Halloween. So if you are in the mood you can watch mike Myers and Jason Vorhees slash some sheet up then tune in to some happy family Christmas movie. What do you like about these sappy happy Christmas movies? What do you hate? Do you watch them? Discuss...

Replies

• pizzamyheart
    Options
    I hate that their houses are all so dang clean
  • pizzamyheart
    Options
    Two strangers meet, fall in love, and instantly become best friends with all of the strangers friends. I can talk to someone for ten years before I’m comfortable with the term “friend”.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I hate that they're so predictable.

They should really make movies like "Freddy Kruegers Christmas on Elm Street" or "Thanksgiving Dinner with Michael Myers".
  • pizzamyheart
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I hate that they're so predictable.

They should really make movies like "Freddy Kruegers Christmas on Elm Street" or "Thanksgiving Dinner with Michael Myers".

These are the ones that can start on October 25th lol
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I hate when your family watches Christmas movies on Christmas Day. I rode the Greyhound all the way here just so I can sit around and watch Elf with you guys?
    And why are the pies from Walmart?!
    *kitten* this. I'm giving these people two more holidays before I start doing my own thing.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    The only Christmas movie I'll watch is Die Hard.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I’m with you! Let’s go snowboarding! And have hot chocolate and s’mores for lunch! Round the fire.
    @kam26001
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    I hate when your family watches Christmas movies on Christmas Day. I rode the Greyhound all the way here just so I can sit around and watch Elf with you guys?
    And why are the pies from Walmart?!
    *kitten* this. I'm giving these people two more holidays before I start doing my own thing.

Well said!!
    Every year I say to myself "Im going on vacation (or be otherwise unavailable) for Christmas"...but haven't had the guts to do it...yet.

I still like buying gifts for the kids, and seeing their joy!!...its the adults and their...not even tradition, but controlled repetition that sucks the joy from me
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Hallmark Christmas movies...we played them all season in the waiting room at work last year. Me and a few co-workers seemed to find ourselves mesmerized by them (...mind control!!)

For me, not because they are good (I would never watch on my 'own time') and not because I was curious how they ended (so predictable)...but because they are all like "fairy tales" and they engage my 8 year old, little-girl self and sense of "hope" and "happy endings"!!

I find them somewhat elating...and then a smidge depressing

People and scenery are usually beautiful and idyllic...pretty pictures, happy endings...dot dot dot...

ahh...I'm a one in a million tho too?, right!!

...no hate...would rather watch the Grinch or The Shining tho (fav Christmas movie!)
  • Marqiiz
    Marqiiz Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Musicals
  • pizzamyheart
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Hallmark Christmas movies...we played them all season in the waiting room at work last year. Me and a few co-workers seemed to find ourselves mesmerized by them (...mind control!!)

For me, not because they are good (I would never watch on my 'own time') and not because I was curious how they ended (so predictable)...but because they are all like "fairy tales" and they engage my 8 year old, little-girl self and sense of "hope" and "happy endings"!!

I find them somewhat elating...and then a smidge depressing

People and scenery are usually beautiful and idyllic...pretty pictures, happy endings...dot dot dot...

ahh...I'm a one in a million tho too?, right!!

...no hate...would rather watch the Grinch or The Shining tho (fav Christmas movie!)

I watch them religiously. I started on the 25th. I love to hate them but love them. I like them because of the little towns....and how it reminds me of how the world was once probably a simpler smaller place. I like how the people are friendly and help each other out. I like the happy endings. I don't like how the people instantly become so close...i think thats creepy. Like, here we just met on the bus, and now we are gonna name our first born child after you, kind stranger! Merry christmas! However, I still watch them. I like the one where the moms go on strike for Christmas because when that first one came out I remember telling my family that "I QUIT!!!" (at the time) lol so it hit home.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have never watched any of those Hallmark Christmas movies. They just seem way too cheesy for me. I feel like they're a G-rated version of The Bachelor.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    They all follow the same formula, so I feel secure living my prescribed life.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    1) hate them
    2) pretty actors
    3) idiotic plots, idiotic dialog
    4) cliche over-sentimentality

I have tried to watch them just to enjoy the pretty faces but in general I can't stomach more than 10 minutes before I have to turn them off.
  • LAT1963
    edited October 2019
    Options

I watch them religiously. I started on the 25th. I love to hate them but love them. I like them because of the little towns....and how it reminds me of how the world was once probably a simpler smaller place. I like how the people are friendly and help each other out. I like the happy endings. I don't like how the people instantly become so close...i think thats creepy. Like, here we just met on the bus, and now we are gonna name our first born child after you, kind stranger! Merry christmas! However, I still watch them. I like the one where the moms go on strike for Christmas because when that first one came out I remember telling my family that "I QUIT!!!" (at the time) lol so it hit home.

NOOOOO! the world was never a simpler, smaller place. If it ever seemed that way to you it's because you were a simpler, smaller you--a child, temporarily protected from dealing with the worlds complexity by parents and family.

JEEBUS, people. Remember that the 'simpler time' of the 20th century was marred by pandemic flu, measles, polio, smallpox (smallpox was at least wiped out mid-century though), 2 world wars, depression, nuclear bombs on Japan, the cold war, the KKK, threat of nuclear annihilation, cars without seatbelts, rivers so polluted they caught fire and burned for weeks, smog so thick you could cut it with a knife, the Vietnam war, Watergate, stagflation and gas rationing, recession, economically unavailable medical care, scary dental care, the Iraq war and Iran Contra, the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.... SERIOUSLY IT WAS NEVER SIMPLE TO BE HUMAN.

Just STOP it with the fake nostalgia over a mythical better time in the past. It wasn't.

add: I think these movies are bad for kids and society as they set unrealistic expectations, and a lot of the time I think there's an undercurrent of oppression that makes the seeming peace of the movies possible. For an enjoyable essay on the topic dig up the 1998 movie "Pleasantville".
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    My neighbors watch them all summer long, the H. Christmas movie lollapalooza. Now they're mesmerized by the brand new ones. They're like romance novel series and I can't stick with any of them. Predictable happy endings. Just cut to the chase. And they all lived happily ever after. The End.
  • LAT1963
    Options
    KarlTaters wrote: »
    I hate that there is never any nudity.

alas, there's no lol button. :sigh:
  • LAT1963
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    My neighbors watch them all summer long, the H. Christmas movie lollapalooza. Now they're mesmerized by the brand new ones. They're like romance novel series and I can't stick with any of them. Predictable happy endings. Just cut to the chase. And they all lived happily ever after. The End.

To me that's creepy. Like, the next people after them who buy your neighbor's house and remodel are going to find a pile of corpses buried in the basement or something.

Idealized escapist fantasy is fine as a vacation from reality but when people start to live there you gotta ask if something is wrong. You gotta balance your Hallmark romances with some Game of Thrones, and some documentaries, once in awhile. I'm being glib but in all seriousness, one thing we should learn from MFP is "everything in moderation" and that health lies in having diverse tastes and a diverse diet. Imo that goes for minds as well as foods.

So--creepy hallmark-addicted neighbors. Yeesh!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't like them and don't watch them. They all have the same formula and are way too sappy.

I watch Polar Express with the kids and Bad Santa with the wife...Lampoons; Planes Trains and Automobiles, Die Hard, Grinch, and that's about it.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I love the hallmark channel in general. I love the shows Good Witch and When Calls the Heart. I really like an old hallmark movie called Love Comes Softly.

The Christmas ones are predictable and cheesy. That doesn't bother me very much. I like cheesy amateur movies too. Makes you appreciate the work that goes into movies that are very well-made! But cheesy movies are fine to me, they're mostly background noise to my extremely stressed out mind. I don't understand how people can function watching crime dramas all the time. I'm pretty sensitive though...