Do you get enough iron?

Options
2»

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    A lot of foods in the database don't have the iron count. So you could be getting more iron than you think unless you're adding all your own foods.

^^^ this

you can get your blood checked to see if you have enough iron in your system. if your iron levels in your blood is fine and you're eating plenty of nutritious food, then I wouldn't stress about what MFP says, most foods don't have iron included in the nutrients so the number you get on MFP will be less than how much iron you're actually getting.

Yeah, have your blood checked. It's not an issue if you do not have low iron. Some people can even have excess iron, and that's not good. I needed to increase my iron, but I did not rely on the mfp food database to give me proper info on that. Iron is just not filled in correctly. Just eat some foods with iron in it. If you eat meat, then have that once in a while as well. And if you are low increase the iron foods and take supplements until the problem is resolved (you don't have to take them everyday). There are some good links in this thread for finding iron rich foods.
  • dreamingof_thin
    Options
    i have a huge iron deficiency, in my blood i only have a reading of 18 whilst a healthy reading is over 50
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yes,, i eat green leafy veggies,, chicken & pork liver and taking iron supplements

Is that an 8-pack?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Iron is overrated as long as you aren't anemic. It forms free radicals and gives bacteria something to live on. If you absorb it too efficiently, and don't get rid of it, it can be toxic.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I used to be more or less okay with this, but since becoming vegetarian iron levels have become a bit of an issue for me. I've found that belvita breakfast biscuits have 80% of your iron needs, but I don't eat a lot of them on a regular basis, I tend to just take an iron supplement. Anyway, I hope this helped :)
  • Sarahloulalou
    Sarahloulalou Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I used to be more or less okay with this, but since becoming vegetarian iron levels have become a bit of an issue for me. I've found that belvita breakfast biscuits have 80% of your iron needs, but I don't eat a lot of them on a regular basis, I tend to just take an iron supplement. Anyway, I hope this helped :)

Wow that's a lot. I'll look into them, not sure I've ever tried them. Thankyou :)
  • Sarahloulalou
    Sarahloulalou Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just learnt that Kelloggs bran flakes have 25% in a 30g serving
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone already said this, but to absorb non-heme iron the best, you should not eat it at the same time as calcium rich foods (like milk and cheese) and should eat it with vitamin c foods. Also coffee, tea, and other antioxidant rich foods can also inhibit iron absorption (unless it's a vitamin c rich food, then it's good to eat with the iron, as I said before).
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Go donate blood. You'll find out for free right away if you're not getting enough iron. Plus, it helps save people's lives. Win-win.

The first time I gave blood, my iron was a bit on the low side. I passed out after giving blood. The second time I was rejected because my iron was too low (years later). The 3rd time, the same thing happened.

I haven't tried to give blood again, but my iron levels are good per my last blood test.

OP, there are lots of things that can impact your absorption. For me the combo of hypothyroid, mild anemia and heavy periods did me in. My periods stopped for a few months, and magically my iron levels were really high. Now that it is back, we will see how things go. I have been taking extra during my period especially.

I have been taking roughly 20-40 mg a day to stay on track for the past 2 years. For a while, I was taking 18mg 3 times a day on the advice of my doctor to rebuild my stores.