I have celiac disease and HS

Options
I've been struggling with celiac disease, Hashimoto's, and HS. I thought peppers were triggering my out breaks but I quit eating them and still had them. I recently went on a strict diet and cut gluten totally out of my diet. I added vitamins and mineral supplements in with my health diet. Within three weeks my HS stop having outbreaks and was feeling more energy than I have in years. I took a trip to Paris and it's not easy to eat gluten free there. Especially, when you eating all the delicious bread. I instantly had an outbreak all over. I couldn't believe it was the gluten the whole time. I'm back to gluten free diet and no outbreaks at all.

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    What is HS?

I agree with @MikePTY. If you have been diagnosed with celiac disease then your doctor should have told you that it is a disease which damages your small intestine in response to gluten and to stop eating all gluten.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    In addition to celiac, there are also some people with non-celiac sensitivities to gluten that aren't yet understood but might be microbiome-related (gluten + bacteria->bacterial metabolites that make affected people sick). So it's good for everyone to go gluten free for a month just to see if it makes any difference to them or not. If gluten-free has no benefit to you, go back to breads, and if you feel better without them, then just don't eat them. Celiac is apparently genetic so unless someone invents a gene therapy for it, you can never outgrow it or 'get better', you can only treat it--by avoiding gluten. My niece has it, diagnosed by a genetic test; she was always picky about food as a baby but never had overt symptoms to declare she has celiac--it was discovered by accident when her school friend had her class participate in genetic testing for it as a science fair project.

Trader Joes--the founder had a kid, if I recall, who has celiac. In any case, Trader Joes does a very good job of offering a lot of gluten-free options that are clearly labeled and taste good enough that your gluten-eating guests in a gluten-free household will be happy to eat them (pancakes, cookies, bread loafs...). If you have a Trader Joes near you then check them out.

In addition to the symptoms of celiac disease, if you have celiac and continue to eat gluten, you increase your risk of gastrointestinal cancers. So it's seriously important to follow your doc's recommendations and avoid gluten even at levels too low for you to have noticeable symptoms. You'll never be able to avoid it entirely, there's always a chance of a speck of flour getting into another dish, but control what you can.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Also curious as to what HS is, and if your celiac disease was self-diagnosed. Not all people that are sensitive to gluten automatically have celiac disease. But if you truly *are* celiac, properly diagnosed, also can't believe you've actually been knowingly eating gluten.

#confused
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    HS = Hidradenitis Suppurativa, also sometimes called acne inversa. It’s like cystic acne but it can also create deep tunnels/tracts that connect the cysts under your skin. It can be very painful and there is no cure, not even really a treatment. It usually effects the bum, groin, breasts and under arms so it can be embarrassing and really impact quality of life depending on the location and how serious it is. It often leaves big ugly scars too. Serious cases people will try surgery to cut the tunnels out but it often doesn’t help. It’s an auto-immune disease and there’s usually a food trigger (often night shades like peppers or potatoes).

OP, glad you found your HS trigger! Hope your outbreaks stay gone for good!