Haven't lost any weight - what am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• PTA4LYF
    PTA4LYF Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    tashOV wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am male, 175cm and 89kg. My goal weight is 70kg. Based on trying to lose 0.5kg a week MFP has given me a calorie intake of 2040 calories.

I work in a brewery on my feet, often cycle 80min round trip to work, walk the dog most days, do yoga twice a week and sometimes work out or do other forms of sport. I have marked myself as lightly active, and I log exercise but only ever eat back half of exercise calories.

I've been under my calorie intake almost every day for three weeks, eating loads of vegetables and whole foods, and staying very active. I have been pretty hungry, but have been managing it with carrots and apples etc.

My weight has fluctuated but overall has not dropped at all. Am I doing something wrong? I know the obvious answer is to drop my calories but I'm already pretty hungry day to day and with my job being so active I need to keep my energy levels up. I am vegetarian - do I need to be taking protein powder to keep me full?

TIA!

are you weighing yourself in the morning and consistently same time before eating
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,880 Member
    Options
    tashOV wrote: »
    @tinkerbellang83 I have been measuring oil with my tablespoon measure, definitely shocked me at first how much i had been using before measuring! Most recipes are ones I have added myself ingredient by ingredient. I batch cook so I add a recipe and then log it for the next couple of days. Yeah last weekend was a crapshoot - Saturday I wasn't very well so barely ate, and I was at a friend's house Sunday and so eating their food, I think I made healthy choices but I really had no way of knowing what I was eating so while I think I was under my calories I have no way of knowing. So yes, a cheat day!

@ceiswyn the rice I couldn't figure out how to log in the grams I weighed (150) so I googled the conversion and logged in cups - I'm still figuring out the app I guess. With yoghurt a similar thing, I used 65g, which was roughly 2/3 of the 100g serving the app suggested. I'm getting better at logging more accurately but I do lots of measuring, weighing, ratios, and recipe design etc at work so I like to think I'm pretty good at it!

@NovusDies I've ordered some protein powder so will play around with that and see if it helps. Yeah Sunday was a cheat day - see above my reply to Tinkerbell

Math for the win, on the bolded one: If you weighed 65g of yogurt, that is exactly 65/100 of the 100 grams listed in the app, so you would enter 0.65 servings. (Not that 2/3 is far off, but you're making the estimation harder than it needs to be).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    You sound as if you're doing good at working through the issues

Weight trend app and morning weight in conditions.

You're active or very active not sedentary. You're expected to eat back exercise calories to lose at the pretty good rate of about a lb a week that you selected. Longer term this may affect your energy levels. Back of the napkin says that even 2500 real calories of intake should be a deficit for you.

There is no real indication you aren't succeeding. Just like your current weight may be obscured by fluctuations so could your original starting point.

As to the sizeable contrast in terms of what you used to consume, did you move to a deficit from a position of increasing weight, or were you maintaining when you started?

You will figure out the logging as time goes on.

0/1 Cal sprays still dispense about 9 Cal of oil per gram of weight the can dispenses. In the up to 10g sprays I tried using my own kitchen equipment it was 10g down for the can and 10g up for the frying pan... the law says that the label can claim 0 Cal for the PORTION listed as long as it comes in under 5 Cal. 0.25 of a second of spray!

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You sound as if you're doing good at working through the issues

Weight trend app and morning weight in conditions.

You're active or very active not sedentary. You're expected to eat back exercise calories to lose at the pretty good rate of about a lb a week that you selected. Longer term this may affect your energy levels. Back of the napkin says that even 2500 real calories of intake should be a deficit for you.

There is no real indication you aren't succeeding. Just like your current weight may be obscured by fluctuations so could your original starting point.

As to the sizeable contrast in terms of what you used to consume, did you move to a deficit from a position of increasing weight, or were you maintaining when you started?

You will figure out the logging as time goes on.

0/1 Cal sprays still dispense about 9 Cal of oil per gram of weight the can dispenses. In the up to 10g sprays I tried using my own kitchen equipment it was 10g down for the can and 10g up for the frying pan... the law says that the label can claim 0 Cal for the PORTION listed as long as it comes in under 5 Cal. 0.25 of a second of spray!

Isn't that the US aerosol type though? The UK ones aren't aerosol. We also have different rules/requirements around nutritional information than the US. From OP's diary they appear to be UK based as the diary entries are from UK supermarkets.

This is a quote from Frylight - one of the most popular brands in the UK:

"Frylight contains at least 30% fewer calories and 30% less fat than regular oils and dispenses 1kcal/0.1g fat per spray. 5 sprays of Frylight (0.5g fat/5kcal) can replace 1 tablespoon of normal oil (15g fat/120kcal) in shallow frying."

• CalgaryMac
    CalgaryMac Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have friends who introduced me to a paleo diet. The focus is on good foods but avoiding the sauces, condiments, and the like that we might add to the great food. It is not the total answer but helps me stay focused on preparing healthy foods and meals and being aware of the additional calories, fats, etc. associated with many convenience foods.