Reactive hypoglycemia

Anyone have any tips on what to eat to prevent/stop these episodes from happening?!?!

Replies

• judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Anyone have any tips on what to eat to prevent/stop these episodes from happening?!?!

How often does this happen? Have you been logging what you eat along with your sugar readings two hours after? By adding protein to a meal (if you're not already doing that) it helps the carbs you consume enter your bloodstream more slowly, and last longer.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

Mine is controlled successfully by not eating breakfast and following a 2:1 ratio for eating carbs and proteins. For every 2 grams of carbs I try to eat at least 1 protein. That may or may not work for you.

Mine has always seemed worse in the morning which is why I skip breakfast. I can eat it and be fine but I avoid carbs altogether. That is probably an overreaction but I am not going to eat it enough to experiment and I have had some pretty rough blood sugar drops.
  • shelbyferlas
    shelbyferlas Posts: 4 Member

How often does this happen? Have you been logging what you eat along with your sugar readings two hours after? By adding protein to a meal (if you're not already doing that) it helps the carbs you consume enter your bloodstream more slowly, and last longer.

Thanks for the reply! It happens almost everyday for a week leading up to my period, but after that its only occasional. I did just start logging but havnt been doing it long enough to formulate anything yet. I do try to add protein, but im thinking i dont add enough
  • shelbyferlas
  • shelbyferlas
    NovusDies wrote: »

Mine is controlled successfully by not eating breakfast and following a 2:1 ratio for eating carbs and proteins. For every 2 grams of carbs I try to eat at least 1 protein. That may or may not work for you.

Mine has always seemed worse in the morning which is why I skip breakfast. I can eat it and be fine but I avoid carbs altogether. That is probably an overreaction but I am not going to eat it enough to experiment and I have had some pretty rough blood sugar drops.

Thanks for sharing! I will try the 2:1 and see if that helps!! I have noticed I do have better days sometimes when I wait to eat in the morning. But thats not always the case I will have a protein shake at 10am and by noon be shaking.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies wrote: »

Thanks for sharing! I will try the 2:1 and see if that helps!! I have noticed I do have better days sometimes when I wait to eat in the morning. But thats not always the case I will have a protein shake at 10am and by noon be shaking.

I am pretty sensitive to carbs before 11am. Does your protein shake have a lot of sugar in it?

I don't see an endocrinologist anymore for it. My diagnosis was over 10 years ago and I control mine with food. If I ever need to see one again I would like an explanation for why it is worse in the morning. If it is has something to do with the time I get up you may have a different starting time than me or you may not have one at all.

You need a BG meter so when you experiment you can head off a low sugar event before you start to get sick.
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    I was recently hospitalized for this after I crashed hard with symptoms mimicking heart attack and or stroke. I am now tracking glucose levels upon waking and 1,2 and 3 hours after meals, in addition to tracking food. It is important to respond with a protein/fat combination at the first sign of symptoms. With reactive hypoglycemia , you want to raise glucose 15 points every 15 minutes, until in range. Otherwise you keep the cycle going.

• Melissabaillie30
    Melissabaillie30 Posts: 6 Member
    So apparently doc said inhave this , but I dont understand it . Can someone explain?
  • NovusDies
    So apparently doc said inhave this , but I dont understand it . Can someone explain?

It means your insulin response is too high after eating and if you are not careful with your macros it will drag your blood sugar down.