November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,116 Member
    @greenolivetree I got the noxgear tracer 360 last time they had the 42% off sale and I love it. They also have a lighthound vest for dogs. My nephew has one for his dog and it is really good as well.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,116 Member
    November Goal: 80 Miles

11/3: 11.02 miles
    11/5: 6.55 miles
    11/6: 6.51 miles
    11/9: 1.54 miles warm up
    11/9: 3.24 miles Wags and Whiskers 5K
    11/11: 6.52 miles
    11/12: 3.20 miles
    11/13: 3.20 miles
    11/14: 6.10 miles
    11/17: 10.02 miles
    11/19: 6.22 miles
    11/20: 8.05 miles
    11/21: 6.06 miles
    11/24: 11.02 miles

89.25/80 miles completed

I never did post my report from yesterday. But I ran 11 miles and it was a beautiful day for it. It was pretty chilly (for me) starting out. When I got up it was around 34°F so I waited a bit and left the house when it was 42°F. It was sunny and there wasn't really any wind. I started to wear capri length tights with a short sleeve t-shirt and sleeves and gloves. But when I stepped out onto the porch the sun was bright enough that I decided to wear shorts instead. Then for about the first mile I was thinking I probably shouldn't have changed, but by the second mile I decided that I was ok and the third mile I was really glad I was wearing shorts. After mile 4 I took off the sleeves and gloves and was dressed just right if not even a little on the warm side. When I got home it was 59°F. It is really hard to know how to dress when the temperature changes that much during a run, but layers are definitely the way to go. I love the sleeves too because I wouldn't have wanted to be stuck in a long sleeved shirt and a jacket would definitely have been too much.

Yesterday's run got me to my goal for November. I guess I underestimated myself when setting my goal this month. But the weather has been better than I expected and I had a couple of days that I thought I might not get to run that I actually got to run longer than usual. I am hoping to get a nice run in on Thursday, but it looks like it will be raining so the jury is still out on that one.

@katharmonic Congratulations on the AG win and on the rope climb! You are a beast!

@shanaber That sucks that the race was so poorly organized. It looked so pretty and seemed to have some really nice swag. But between the poor organization and the knee it sounds like a really disappointing day.

@eleanorhawkins Great job on your 2K and on getting your daughter to run the whole thing!

@kristymn Wow! A sub 2 HM that you weren't even racing! Great job!

@Scott6255 I'm so sorry about the DNS. But great job listening to our body and taking care of yourself.

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather
    10/5/19: Old Rip 5K - PR 27:27, 1st AG
    11/9/19: Wags and Whiskers 5K -2nd AG, 4th Woman, 5K PR - 26:36

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    @katharmonic great job on your race! High five on that bell! 🖐

@shanaber way to push through in that poorly organized race.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Camaramandy648 - you were/are probably also dehydrated from the GI issues. Make sure you are drinking lots of water. What kind of phone do you have? I know with the iPhone there are settings you can adjust to reduce to battery drain like dimming the screen. If you have a 'battery' setting you might also be able to see what is using the battery the most and if it isn't something you need while running you can try turning it off.

All this, also how far did you end up running? Sounds like you really rocked it to me!

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @Camaramandy648 - you were/are probably also dehydrated from the GI issues. Make sure you are drinking lots of water. What kind of phone do you have? I know with the iPhone there are settings you can adjust to reduce to battery drain like dimming the screen. If you have a 'battery' setting you might also be able to see what is using the battery the most and if it isn't something you need while running you can try turning it off.

All this, also how far did you end up running? Sounds like you really rocked it to me!

@PastorVincent It was something what must have been just over twelve miles! Thank you for the encouragement!
  • Camaramandy648
    This weekend, I seem to have made my achilles tendonitis worse. The good news is that I got some vacation approved for races in the Jan.-Mar. time frame. I now just need to sign up for those marathons... after which point, I will be broke.

I'll have to share my planned races soon.. For now, I have the 3 next month and Louisana Marathon in Jan. After I get registered for everything, I'll have to share.

And yes, I am optimistic about recovery from the tendonitis. In fact, I am going to put in for the Leadville lottery again when it opens... I never get drawn for any race lotteries ever, so it won't change anything anyway.

The famous Leadville 100! I really want to do an ultra someday. That one is so cool, too. I have watched a few youtube documentaries of runners who ran it and it makes me want to do so much more. I hope you get in!
  • Camaramandy648
    @eleanorhawkins - great job getting your daughter to run with you and finish the entire charity run! One day she may discover that competitive streak and enjoy the racing too. Give it time 😊
    @kirstymn - fantastic race and so beautiful!
    @PastorVincent - beautiful sunrise!
    @emmamcgarity - Take care of that hamstring! They can be very stubborn to heal!

My knee was still sore most of yesterday so I took it pretty easy. I will go out for a short recovery run today and if it hurts I will walk. I did do some of the PT exercises last night without the bands because I didn't want to over do it and make it even more cranky. Also Hobbes and I have agility class tonight so I need to be able to run a bit for that - getting ready for a trial this weekend.

@shanaber I have the iphone 7. I'm really considering getting the 11 and donating the 7 to my daughter. Her screen is cracked very badly so at the very least, it would save me from buying her a new one too.
  • Camaramandy648
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @katharmonic – your running streak is getting right up there with @AlphaHowls! Good luck with your Spartan – hope it’s a fun one!
    You are sweet, and I will take any comparison to @AlphaHowls (dew claws up!) even if I'm nowhere near her level. My little streak is broken now but I had a great race, thanks! Report below!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    11/01/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/02/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    11/03/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 3.1
    11/04/19 :::: 3.3 :::: 6.5
    11/05/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 6.5
    11/06/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 6.5
    11/07/19 :::: 2.5 :::: 9.0
    11/08/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 12.0
    11/09/19 :::: 4.5 :::: 16.5
    11/10/19 :::: 13.3 :::: 29.8
    11/11/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 32.8
    11/12/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 35.8
    11/13/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 38.9
    11/14/19 :::: 1.7 :::: 40.6
    11/15/19 :::: 2.5 :::: 43.1
    11/16/19 :::: 8.4 :::: 51.5
    11/17/19 :::: 3.3 :::: 54.8
    11/18/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 57.9
    11/19/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 60.9
    11/20/19 :::: 2.1 :::: 63.0
    11/21/19 :::: 3.8 :::: 66.8
    11/22/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 66.8
    11/23/19 :::: 3.5 :::: 70.3

Long Island Spartan Sprint (3.5 miles) report:

Yesterday (Saturday) was my 7th Spartan race this year (and ever, I just started this year). A few weeks ago I did the Super (8+ miles) in New Jersey and I was pretty humbled and defeated. Going into yesterday's race my goals were not to do so many freaking burpees and to finally get the rope climb, for which I was 0/6. I have been practicing and doing those pull-ups and I was determined.

We were really fortunate with the day we had. It was sunny and about 45 degrees, so after much debate I wore my short sleeve shirt with compression sleeves so I could remove them (which I didn't end up doing but could have). The really lucky part was that it was just cold enough air and water temps that they closed the water obstacles and we didn't have to submerge in cold muddy water. When we were in the registration line we noticed that the people who had already finished were not wet, so I asked a couple and they gave me that info - which was kind of a game-changer. It was totally possible they could open it up as it was warming up, so I tried not to get too excited.

Leading up to the race I knew that a couple of people on my team were planning to race it for time and the rest to just run it together as a team, and I hadn't committed one way or the other. I was leaning towards racing for time as this was probably the flattest course I had come across and why not. I decided that morning to just go for it and I lined up in the front with my other teammates. They took off quickly and I didn't expect to see them again, so I was running alone.

The course was not totally flat, there were certainly some steep but short climbs up and down gullies, and the trail through the woods required watching the footing, but overall I was able to run pretty much the whole time between obstacles. The order of obstacles was loaded up with the strength things toward the beginning - bucket carry, plate drag, sandbag carry, atlas stone carry - all of which are not terrible but tiring. I passed one of my teammates at the bucket carry and she seemed to be struggling a bit with being winded but said she was fine and I kept going. When I got to the mud obstacles I was ecstatic to see they were indeed closed and I ran past them with a smile on my face. After that was a series that someone had called "burpee row", with the rings, rope climb and spear throw.

I got the rings, and ran up to my nemesis rope climb. I stood at the rope and closed my eyes for a second and said to myself "you've got this" and then wrapped my leg around in the s-hook that I had been practicing and hoisted myself up. I had a couple of moments where I lost my foothold but I hung on for dear life and got it back and then I reached up as far as I could to ring that bell at the top. OMG, so happy! I almost burned my hands going back down too fast, and then I landed at the bottom and yelled "YES!!!" and threw up my hands and forced strangers to high five me.

The spear throw was next and I came close, but missed it. I was still elated about the rope climb so I wasn't too upset, I just tried to knock out the burpees and keep moving. The 30 burpees certainly took a lot out of me but I was on the home stretch at that point with only 5 obstacles left, 4 of which were right at the finish area. As I ran across a tricky little bridge to the finish area I saw my trainer/teammate who had finished waiting and he seemed surprised to see me as the next person on the team to finish. I was too! I finished the last 4, and ran across the finish line (which was a bit disappointing because no fire jump this time - they have a fire ban I guess). I got my medal and my snacks and shirt and noted my time on my watch was about 57 minutes. My last two sprints were about 1 hour 45 minutes but very different courses, so I was happy with it but not sure how to judge whether it was a good time or not for the day.

I went over to meet my teammate and wait for the rest of our team. The woman I passed before finished next and then the rest of the group was all together after that. We got a team picture and lots of group hugs, etc, then my trainer wanted to check his time so we went over to the results tent. He got 2nd in his age group and 9th place overall in the open heat (out of like 2300, not competitive - you have to run the age group or elite heats to podium/win prize money). I typed in my bib number and the results popped up - I was in 1st place in my age group!!! I was stunned and thrilled. Three weeks ago I came in dead last in my age group, today I was first! Looking up the results, if I had run the actual age group competitive heat, I would have come in second and been on the podium!

I'm still smiling from the whole thing. I kind of feel like I should pull a George Costanza and end on a high note, but I have another race in two weeks. :) In the meantime I am enjoying the feeling of having conquered the rope climb and my first ever "win".

I don't have any photos of the event yet, but I have to share the screenshot of results.
    yygdro5cezn6.jpg

@katharmonic this is AWESOME!!!!!! I love LOVE this!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    This weekend, I seem to have made my achilles tendonitis worse. The good news is that I got some vacation approved for races in the Jan.-Mar. time frame. I now just need to sign up for those marathons... after which point, I will be broke.

I'll have to share my planned races soon.. For now, I have the 3 next month and Louisana Marathon in Jan. After I get registered for everything, I'll have to share.

And yes, I am optimistic about recovery from the tendonitis. In fact, I am going to put in for the Leadville lottery again when it opens... I never get drawn for any race lotteries ever, so it won't change anything anyway.

The famous Leadville 100! I really want to do an ultra someday. That one is so cool, too. I have watched a few youtube documentaries of runners who ran it and it makes me want to do so much more. I hope you get in!

I won't. Once again this year, I will not get drawn. That might be a blessing, considering how difficult it is.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @shanaber I have the iphone 7. I'm really considering getting the 11 and donating the 7 to my daughter. Her screen is cracked very badly so at the very least, it would save me from buying her a new one too.

I upgraded from the 7+ to the 11. Few notes...

THE BAD:
    • I miss the home button. A lot.
    • I prefer fingerprint to Face ID. Face ID works well, but the fingerprint was more secure in that I had to take a physical action to unlock the phone. Now it happens passively.

THE GOOD:
    • Bigger screen, but smaller case due to the edge to edge screen.
    • Far better camera. This was why I upgraded actually, though I would prefer the telephoto over the wide.
    • Far better battery
    • Screen is brighter and clearer
    • Speakers are way better, but still cell phone speakers :) Surprisingly good though if you watch a HD movie with good sound.

Everything else pretty much feels the same. I did not really have any problems with my 7+ though.

There IS A BIG bug with BlueTooth on the 11 series, but that will be fixed soon, hopefully. It does not affect Bluetooth watches or headsets, just using Siri in the car. SO it is annoying, but since it is happening on all iPhone 11 series, I am sure Apple will fix it soon.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 494 Member
    Whoa, I am *ten* *pages* behind.

Congrats on all your races folks. And also... good on you folks you who are listening to your bodies and letting them recover as needed, despite your addiction to running. I am definitely getting into that addicted phase myself, so I can see how that would be very challenging.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 494 Member
    ...I will go out for a short recovery run today and if it hurts I will walk. I did do some of the PT exercises last night without the bands because I didn't want to over do it and make it even more cranky. Also Hobbes and I have agility class tonight so I need to be able to run a bit for that - getting ready for a trial this weekend.

How did the recovery run go?