1,200 calories and binging

Hi, MyFitnessPal has set my calorie intake to 1,200 calories because I’m 4 ft 11 and don’t really do much exercise. But I end up binge eating when I eat that amount. I’m not sure if it’s just because I’m being greedy or my body needs more? I want to lose weight though so this is difficult because 1,200 is the amount for the slowest weight loss. Any advice? Thanks

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Strategies for dealing with binge eating can vary depending on the person and the circumstances.

Some people binge because they don't allow themselves treats; if that's you, consider whether you can fit the odd little bit of chocolate or whatever you fancy into your calorie allowance. But some people have to avoid treats because it's the treat that starts the binge.

If you're bingeing at a particular time, then maybe you need to shift your calories around a bit to let you eat more then. Alternatively, you might find it helpful to distract yourself when you start to get peckish. Going out for a walk can both a) take your mind off food and b) give you more calories as well.

Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    ceiswyn makes good points.

Also, how are your Macros? I have to ensure that I am getting enough protein early in the day in order to remain in my calorie goal. I try to get 1/3 of my protein at my first meal. Pay attention to nutrition for a while and see if that helps. If I eat too many carb-y delicious things it can set off a binge-eating event.

Another thing is that you may need to eat a bit more in general. Are you getting any purposeful exercise? If you are, then Myfitnesspal's calculator wants you to enter that into "Exercise" and eat a bit more on those days. If you aren't currently exercising you could start walking for 30 minutes per day. That would give you a little more food and in my case it blunts appetite. Win/win.
  • sscarllet
    sscarllet Posts: 2 Member
    I'm a snacker and I've started to ask myself some questions when I want to eat but I don't need to eat.

- Have I eaten in the last three hours? Yes - what was it? No, am I bored?
    - if I'm bored I go for either water, tea or coffee. Gives me something to do and helps me feel full.
    - Would I like an apple (if the answer is that I just want junk then I'm not hungry). See tea and coffee above
    - What time is it? Three pm at work - I'm bored, get a tea. Don't want to ruin my dinner.
    - After work in front of the TV? Caffeine free tea - or I stand up and walk while I watch my stories.

I guess what I'm saying is I have made tea a go to when I want to over eat.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    If you find yourself binge eating daily because you're trying to stick to 1,200 calories, then maybe you should adjust that to 1,400. This will allow you a more lenient budget for snacks, but hopefully also keep you satiated enough to prevent a 500+ calorie binge. For weight loss, you will have more success having consistent 1,400 calorie days per week than one or two 1,200 days and three or four 2,000+ calorie days.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    How much weight do you have to lose? It's likely that you set too aggressive a loss per week rate.