Bulking Motivation

Options
I am reaching out for some support and motivation! I want to build up more muscle after losing 70lbs 6 years ago. However, I know I have a ffb syndrome and am afraid of not looking lean after I gain approximately 15/20lbs in a bulk over 6-7months (currently 133 and want to get up to 150 at the end of the bulk). I just keep on quitting because I am afraid that my end bulk look will be too pudgy and unattractive, even with cutting afterwards I don’t want to look chubby at any point in the process! I’m okay with looking filled out after a bulk and cutting down to be ripped but I don’t want to look pudgy!!
I count calories daily (between 2500-2600) and know I might have to increase calories but am hesitant due to the previously stated fears. Any motivation or words to calm my concern?

I am 5’7, 24y/o Male, 133lbs hoping time bulk to 150lbs at a rate of 0.5lb/week.

I work out 7 days a week (chest, legs, arms, back, shoulder, abs, and one day of 3mile run). I get 3-4 miles per day of walking outside of the gym as well.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't know what FFB syndrome is...and unless it's a blindness thing, neither does google.

As for gaining some fat while bulking - you can stop bulking whenever you think you are getting pudgy and shift to cutting, then shift back to bulking when you are not pudgy anymore. You don't have to bulk for a full 6-7 months if you aren't happy with the progress you are making, you can alter the plan, lose some fluff, and then go back to bulking when you are happy with your body fat percentage.

If you are doing a lean bulk and eating about 250 more calories per day than maintenance, you aren't going to puff up like the marshmallow man.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't know what FFB syndrome is...and unless it's a blindness thing, neither does google.

As for gaining some fat while bulking - you can stop bulking whenever you think you are getting pudgy and shift to cutting, then shift back to bulking when you are not pudgy anymore. You don't have to bulk for a full 6-7 months if you aren't happy with the progress you are making, you can alter the plan, lose some fluff, and then go back to bulking when you are happy with your body fat percentage.

If you are doing a lean bulk and eating about 250 more calories per day than maintenance, you aren't going to puff up like the marshmallow man.

People tell me this all the time. I just get way too freaked that I won’t be able to stop and kinda spiral but never do it correctly. Maybe I should just try to be more confident and pursue it.

Also it’s former fat boy syndrome (people who used to be fat fear any weight gain)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Your other option is recomp, but it typically takes much longer to reach your goal look.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • dpr73
    Options
    Your other option is recomp, but it typically takes much longer to reach your goal look.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

I would say I have been doing this for some time and I am liking these results for sure (starting to reveal abs!) however my major insecurity is my legs which I view as disgustingly skinny and would like to make bigger. However, I know this will require a dedicated bulk as the recomp will just continue to make them super lean and toned but not bigger
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Are you only working each muscle group once per week? If so, I would suggest more often
    Are you following a tried tested and true program? If not, I suggest that route vs. you own design.

5'7" 133 is pretty slim, so do agree with bulking.

My profile pic is me at 5'6" 140 lbs, last time I cut I got as low as 136, now at 155, looking to cut to 145-148. I don't have big legs either. If your genetics are smaller legs, it will be hard to get them to grow, at my biggest and strongest, my legs grew maybe half an inch in the calf and 3/4 of an inch in the quad (squatting about 2xbody weight and 2.2 x bodyweight deadlift) you genetics may differ where you can put size on, but it will be slow
  • dpr73
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Are you only working each muscle group once per week? If so, I would suggest more often
    Are you following a tried tested and true program? If not, I suggest that route vs. you own design.

My profile pic is me at 5'6" 140 lbs, last time I cut I got as low as 136, now at 155, looking to cut to 145-148. I don't have big legs either. If your genetics are smaller legs, it will be hard to get them to grow, at my biggest and strongest, my legs grew maybe half an inch in the calf and 3/4 of an inch in the quad (squatting about 2xbody weight and 2.2 x bodyweight deadlift) you genetics may differ where you can put size on, but it will be slow

When you have bulked to 155 did you find that you were growing out of your clothes? That’s another fear of mine. I just wanna fill them out more but not have to buy new clothing
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »

When you have bulked to 155 did you find that you were growing out of your clothes? That’s another fear of mine. I just wanna fill them out more but not have to buy new clothing

Pants yes, my pants range from 28-32" waste, 28-30 don't fit while in my bulk, 31s and 32's are too big at the end of a cut. Shirts are just a little tighter or looser, but still fit (chest usually stays in the 39" to 41" range
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    At 5.7 133 lbs you have lots of room to bulk. A 0.5 lb gain per week you should keep the fat gain at a minimum as long as you are following a solid weight training program. Eat enought protien - you will need some carbs. Google carb cycling it will help. When you feel you are gaining too much fat dial back the cals 2-300per day & keep the protien high. If you do this too often you won't gain much mucle
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You are fairly lean and putting on weight is going to be the right way to go for your goals. You can do this! Each time it gets easier. Just keep the gains minimal-moderate and make sure you are following a good workout program with adequate volume and frequency especially for the legs, that is how I built mine up but it took 3 bulk cycles. Of course get the protein in, take lots of photos and measurements, and dial it back as necessary. But don't be too overly cautious and cut when you gain the slightest amount of fat. Once you start gaining you want to keep that muscle gaining momentum going. Push through and focus on the positives.
  • 84creative
    84creative Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    15 to 20 lbs! I’ve set my bulking target at 6lbs as I’m scared of being overweight and creating extra fat cells that may make it easier for me to put weight on in the future. Not even sure if this is a thing that happens or just something my fear of being overweight has conjured. I’m 35 now though and have lost a fair bit of muscle from dieting after bulking due to fear of getting fat.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    How about developing good habits and eating for performance?

https://jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101085062-2016-help-a-friend-get-stronger

• ConnerMichaels31
    ConnerMichaels31 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    I am reaching out for some support and motivation! I want to build up more muscle after losing 70lbs 6 years ago. However, I know I have a ffb syndrome and am afraid of not looking lean after I gain approximately 15/20lbs in a bulk over 6-7months (currently 133 and want to get up to 150 at the end of the bulk). I just keep on quitting because I am afraid that my end bulk look will be too pudgy and unattractive, even with cutting afterwards I don’t want to look chubby at any point in the process! I’m okay with looking filled out after a bulk and cutting down to be ripped but I don’t want to look pudgy!!
    I count calories daily (between 2500-2600) and know I might have to increase calories but am hesitant due to the previously stated fears. Any motivation or words to calm my concern?

I am 5’7, 24y/o Male, 133lbs hoping time bulk to 150lbs at a rate of 0.5lb/week.

I work out 7 days a week (chest, legs, arms, back, shoulder, abs, and one day of 3mile run). I get 3-4 miles per day of walking outside of the gym as well.

Lift heavy and often with a progressive adding of weight. 1-5 lbs each time. Also eat steak and chicken and plain oatmeal and eggs. Cut out soda it's useless. Also plenty of steamed vegetables. 3 -4 x a day 600-800 calories per meal. Protein shakes 2x daily as a snack.Dont worry about a little fat on a bulk. Eat at least .8 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight per day and eat alot of meat. You'll need a good calorie surplus to gain. Rest well and alternate your days. Mon/Thurs chest back. Tues/Fri arms shoulders. Wed/sat legs. Sunday light cardio or rest. Squat / Bench / Deadlift / Military press and pushups. You'll feel full for a week but you'll notice considerable gains. Hope it helps, it's worked well for me. Mike