Advice for morning workouts?

Question for all those folks who love morning workouts - what are your tips for getting the best performance early in the morning?

For background, I usually workout around noon, but when I know my day will be busy it's helpful to hit the gym in the morning. I'm fine doing a lower intensity workout in the morning, but prefer something more challenging like a HIIT/circuit class or heavy lifting. I did a class this morning that I've felt great doing in the afternoon, but doing the same class at 6:30am made me feel like I was going to die (or maybe just vomit). I hadn't had any caffeine (I'm not a big coffee or tea drinker), and had eaten a protein bar on my way to the gym so I wasn't working on a completely empty stomach. I've also noticed that just trying to lift weights in the morning I have a much harder time working up to heavy lifts and just can't lift as heavy. Considering I have a 30ish minute train ride and a mile to walk from the train station just to get to the gym I would think my body would be a bit more awake by the time I arrive.

Any tips from early risers are welcome, especially those of you who do more intense training and lifting in the early morning.

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,154 Member
    I’m up at 4, gym by 5 and do mainly powerlifting type workouts. For me, the biggest trick is going to bed at an appropriate hour for the time you need to be up. I go to bed about 8:30 so that I can get up, workout and be on point the rest of the day. When I get up, I have a yogurt and fruit smoothie with some protein powder and powdered greens. You might try a yogurt on your way instead of a protein bar. It could be a little easier on your stomach first thing.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    If caffeine is effective for you, caffeine pills are cheap and 30 minutes should be enough time to give you a little boost.

I'd also drink plenty of water to make sure you're well-hydrated.

A quick cold shower before your workout might help you wake up, but isn't ideal for most.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    I’m not a regular morning workout person (I just can’t force myself to be a morning person) but on the days that demand it I usually just have a cup of coffee before my workout. If I’m running 6 miles or less I can do just fine on an empty stomach, any more than that and I grab a bagel or a banana before my workout.

Getting decent sleep the night before helps a lot too. Which is hard for me because I’m such a night owl and usually not really tired until at least 11 pm.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,967 Member
    I'm a morning workout person, cardio followed by lifting - total time about 90-105 minutes.

I can't eat first thing in the morning (my stomach wants nothing to do with actual food first thing), so this is the one time when a BCAA is actually useful (fasted workouts). I use that and some creatine in my workout water, helps with recovery and helps keep my workout from falling flat on its face. Since adding these back in, there's a noticeable difference.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    the hardest part of working out in the morning is just taking those first steps..out of bed, out the door, etc. Once I get there, stretch and warmup and it just takes care of itself. BUT...getting up earlier than usual is not easy for me.
  • woolyentity
    woolyentity Posts: 2 Member
    From my experience: yes, the closer till noon the more weight I can lift - so from time to time I take gym not in the 6:30 am.

The dying part: once I was dying, I was green and just couldn't do anything. My PT gave me coca-cola to drink and snack to eat and said that I have to remeber to eat more carbs in the evening before triaining. And that helped much.
  • Cricketmad88
    Cricketmad88 Posts: 415 Member
    I only ever workout in the morning, method I use is 1 glass of water as soon as I wake up, another glass about 20mins later if doing weights this is a protein shake then workout about 30mins after this.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    My early morning workouts are terrible. I have no idea why. I attribute it to the fact that I am not and have never been very productive in the mornings. I work out after work and find that to be what works for me. I can lift heavier, run farther, swim farther, whatever it is, I can do more of it. If you can, work out when you feel best, whether that's morning or not.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Feel free to sleep in your workout clothes.

Coffee or tea then workout.

Make sure your workout leaves you refreshed and revitalized and ready for the day...the yoga workout that makes you feel great heading out to work is better than the aerobics class that leaves your frazzled and irritated.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Pack everything the night before. Take a snack on the way in case you need it.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    I always find that a amazing music playlist is all I need