Ruining the Impossible Burger

13»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I’ve never had any interest in one. Mike Colameco said the other day that it’s only bad for your wallet. He quoted a price, said the first ingredient listed was water, meaning you are paying a lot for water.

The first component (by weight) in ground beef is also water.

Click on your ground beef of choice, and you'll find more than 50 g of water in 100 g of ground beef.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-search

Food is only made up of the following components: water, carbohydrates, fat, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Given that vitamins and minerals are usually a small percentage of the total weight, the vast majority is made up by the other items. It can be further simplified by saying that food is predominately 2 things: water and calories. Which means the amount of water will directly correlate to the calorie content. More water = less calories, less water = more calories. I've never heard anyone call watermelon a waste of money because it's 92% water.

I'm not sure why you're quoting me on this, since you're making the exact same point I was. I was responding to someone who said that because the first ingredient in a plant-based burger was water, one was paying a lot for water. Yet the same situation exists for beef, or really for almost all whole foods. I wasn't saying they were a waste of money. I was pointing out that arguing that a food is a waste of money because it's biggest component is water isn't a good argument, because most foods (other than pure fats or dehydrated foods) are mostly water.