How to start keto?

Options

Hi guys!
I’m a 33 YO mom of 4 boys, my youngest will be 1 on Sunday and I’m still up 50lbs! With the other 3 I just naturally lost weight so quickly, but with this one it just won’t come off. I’m looking to start keto, I’m just kinda lost on where to start and how to set myself up for success being a busy mom that works more than full time. I’m really digging for motivation here as well, I just can’t seem to put the sweets down lol. What helped you get started? What has made the process easier? Any tips, tricks, hacks, advice? Thanks so much!

Replies

• richellestyles
    richellestyles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I’ve been doing keto over a month now! Down 12 pounds and let me say It really works!! It’s not as hard once you get over the hump of not eating bread, rice, pasta, potatoes.....those are the big four for me! The sweets naturally leave your palette after you remove those carbs from your diet. You. Can. Do. This. Just take it one meal at a time. I log everything to find my macros in the right alignment for my day. Heavy on the fat moderate protein and low on the carbs. There are so many good alternatives and recipes out there for foods that you will still be craving in the beginning. Now that I’m about on week 6, I’m noticing that I’m getting more and more strict and able to get down to the 5% range for carbs. Literally my best advice is take your time and give yourself the chance to feel out what works best for your body. There’s strict keto, lazy keto, vegan keto, and many other variations. Just do you! That weight is sure to drop quickly! ❤️
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I always find it easier to focus on what I am eating, than what I am not.

If you want to do keto, I'd think about the meals you will be eating and, ideally, get excited about them. (In that calories are what matter you still need a calorie deficit, but for some they will naturally eat less when switching their diet, at least temporarily.)

If you eat an egg-based breakfast already, it's pretty easy to make that keto compliant. I normally eat a 2 egg omelet with veg, and continued that when I experimented with keto, The only difference was I had half an avocado on the side instead of some other kind of fruit. For other meals, salads with protein on them (variety of veg, cheese and higher fat dressings fine, nuts or seeds, just no fruit or of course croutons) are easy, and meat/fish with veg on the side also easy and tasty.

I never did special keto recipes, didn't see the point, but they exist.
  • Lala0803
    Lala0803 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I’ve been doing Keto for 3 weeks and I’ve lost 1lb 🙈
    Any tips? I’m
    So frustrated
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lala0803 wrote: »
    Any tips? I’m
    So frustrated

Are you logging everything you eat? Use a digital food scale for more accuracy. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit - eating fewer calories than maintenance.

Fatty foods are calorie dense. It's possible you are making up for lack of carb calories using fat calories instead.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good resources on line, if you google keto and diet doctor their site is pretty helpful and has some great recipes. For me, to start at least, I don’t try to learn to recreate my old favs to be keto as that kinda left me craving the originals, instead I’ve found some new keto friendly recipes that I really enjoy. And then I also try and simplify and just eat meats with mostly green veggies cooked in some oil or butter.

The first week I switched over I logged everything but didn’t worry about going over my calories, it was such a big change I wanted to get used to it without the added hunger from a much lower calorie diet. After the first week (and being over any keto flu symptoms) it was much easier to start lowering my calories.

Research about keto flu and have a plan. I’ve been lucky enough to not really suffer it because I followed the tips: lots of water and lots of salt but I still suffered from some sugar withdrawals which gave me a headache and made me very cranky lol (I’ve quit sugar a few times so I recognize how my body deals with that)

Good luck and feel free to add me if you want :)
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Lala0803 wrote: »
    Any tips? I’m
    So frustrated

Are you logging everything you eat? Use a digital food scale for more accuracy. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit - eating fewer calories than maintenance.

Fatty foods are calorie dense. It's possible you are making up for lack of carb calories using fat calories instead.

I agree, you’re probably over your calories