Dessert?

Options
moss11
moss11 Posts: 236 Member
Hi fellow MFP's.
Following Lo carb/ high fat and mostly doing okay. I do like to finish of my evening meal with a little something, presently Greek yogurt or mascarpone and a few berries. I feel these rich choices disagree with my digestion, giving a bit of reflux, although they do give me that " satisfaction end of the days eating feeling" so I am reluctant to give them up in case that "need something feeling" gets out of control!!!! Hope that makes sense. I do have dark chocolate but its mentally something to do with the creaminess and spoon to mouth "need"! I don't want to have to bake or much in the way of preparation. Also don't want a Lo carb bar, or artificial sweet, just something low carb with that comfort feeling. Hope i am not asking for the impossible! Any suggestion or examples of how you finish off?

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow MFP's.
    Following Lo carb/ high fat and mostly doing okay. I do like to finish of my evening meal with a little something, presently Greek yogurt or mascarpone and a few berries. I feel these rich choices disagree with my digestion, giving a bit of reflux, although they do give me that " satisfaction end of the days eating feeling" so I am reluctant to give them up in case that "need something feeling" gets out of control!!!! Hope that makes sense. I do have dark chocolate but its mentally something to do with the creaminess and spoon to mouth "need"! I don't want to have to bake or much in the way of preparation. Also don't want a Lo carb bar, or artificial sweet, just something low carb with that comfort feeling. Hope i am not asking for the impossible! Any suggestion or examples of how you finish off?

I know what you mean about creaminess & spoon to mouth satisfying feeling after a meal. I like to make "chocolate mousse":
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 oz cream cheese softened
    1/2 tsp cocoa powder

Whip the cream til good & stiff
    Whip in the cream cheese & cocoa powder
    Serve up in small dessert cup

Nutritional info (based on products I use): 251 calories 1carb 25fat 1protein

If I'm not in a super big hurry to nom it up, I put it in the fridge for 10 minutes to let it set up. It gets a little firmer.

And I don't always eat it all - it's so rich. Just eat 1/2 & save the other half for later.

Some days I just whip up the cream & don't add the cream cheese & end up with "chocolate whipped cream" (pllus it saves 50 calories!)

Let me know if you want some other ideas! This was the first that came to mind.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I need something sweet frequently, so I share your pain! Here's a super fast one from Atkins, and you don't have to whip the cream for this either. It's not that much over 100 calories, and the portion size is small enough that it shouldn't be overly rich. They use artificial sweetener, but to "paleoize" it, honey and/or stevia works great:

Chocolate "pudding"

2 T heavy cream
    1 T cocoa powder
    sweetener equivalent to 2 tsp

Using a fork or a spatula, blend for a couple of minutes until it reaches the consistency of soft ice cream (this really works, as long as you're using cocoa powder and not raw Cacao powder, which doesn't work for whatever reason). Add a drop or two of vanilla extract, or mint extract, or a little bit of instant coffee powder if you like, but I wouldn't suggest all three!

Another idea is ice cream, if you have an ice cream maker. Here, too, the portion size can be small because it's very satisfying:

Coconut Strawberry Ice Cream
    12 - 16 ox unsweetened frozen strawberries, thawed completely
    14 - 28 fl oz coconut milk, depending on the ratio you like
    ¼ tsp liquid stevia extract, or to taste
    a touch of vanilla extract

Puree, then stick in the ice cream maker. Coconut milk ice cream freezes hard, so you'll need to soften it a bit. Take it out while you eat dinner and let it sit on the counter.

Here's one from Practical Paleo (my favorite cookbook) for Truffles. These have a bit more of a coconut cream/nut butter consistency:

Base for truffles
    2 T coconut oil
    3 T coconut butter or coconut manna (cream concentrate)
    2 T almond or sunflower butter
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Mint chip flavor--add to base (my spouse and I found these really addictive)
    2 tsp mint extract
    1-2 tsp honey
    1 T cacao nibs
    (optional) 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder to coat

Chocolate orange flavor
    2 T cocoa powder
    2-4 tsp honey
    Zest of 1 orange (set one teaspoon aside for the coating)
    2 T shredded coconut for coating

Combine base and flavor ingredients, mix. The mixture will be soft, so put it in the freezer for 10 minutes or until you can form the batter into 1-inch balls with your hands. It makes about a dozen. Roll each ball in the coating for your flavor. Set truffles on a plate and refrigerate to solidify.

Here's a recipe I pulled from Men's health a while ago, though I haven't made it yet:

Paleo Baked Custard
    INGREDIENTS:
    14 fl oz unsweetened coconut milk
    3 tbsp honey
    ¼ tsp French vanilla liquid stevia, or to taste
    5 eggs
    ⅛ tsp salt, scant

Assemble everything in your blender and blend well, then taste. If you think it needs to be sweeter, add a little more liquid stevia.
    Pour into a greased 1-quart Pyrex casserole. Cover with foil and put it in your slow cooker. Now fill the space around the casserole with water, up to 1 inch from the rim of the casserole. Cover the pot, set to low, and cook for 4 hours. Turn off the slow cooker, remove the lid, and let the water cool till you can remove the casserole without scalding your fingers. Chill overnight before serving.
  • Longisland2NC
    Longisland2NC Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have two desserts that I enjoy....One is the very basic (but hits the stop) Sugar Free jello with Whipped cream! I have this usually when I head to watch TV at night. Gets that sugar-fix that I crave at night.

The 2nd is I make a Chia Pudding....Chia seeds with almond milk - sometimes I add cocoa powder - unsweetened Coconut flakes - even some coconut oil if I want to UP my fats. You can add a non-sugar sweeter to it as well. If you want to add some raspberries to it - that is a nice way to add a bit of fruit to your diet... I make it the day before - let it all soak in overnight - but you could do this a few hours prior.
  • moss11
    Options
    Thank you for such tasty recipes my fellow travellers :-). Now where to start!
    I look forward to trying them, just need to get some more ingredients, not familiar with chia seeds, do they have another name?. Lo carb sweet treats really are possible, it just so helps with variety and satiation. Bit scared they might be too nice!! It's that time of night so will see what I can whip up :-).
  • Longisland2NC
    Longisland2NC Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are sold in places like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, even some of the drug stores (Walmart, CVS - etc) & some grocery stores have them....if you do not want to hunt them down, you can order them online. They are high fiber - have some fat to them - lots of Omega 3!! When you soak them in liquid (I use unsweetened vanilla/coconut almond milk) they swell up and make a great pudding - just add your cocoa - your sweetener - etc and let it sit overnight (I believe I do 1/4 cup of chia seeds to one cup of almond milk) You can also add vanilla (if your not a chocolate fan) When its time to eat, if you want it a bit smoother, add a touch of heavy cream to it and stir....you can up your fat that way too! Add some whipped cream and ENJOY!!!

I think I should go make some now - LOL!!! I am low on my supply - I try and make a batch when my other is almost done.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thank you for such tasty recipes my fellow travellers :-). Now where to start!
    I look forward to trying them, just need to get some more ingredients, not familiar with chia seeds, do they have another name?. Lo carb sweet treats really are possible, it just so helps with variety and satiation. Bit scared they might be too nice!! It's that time of night so will see what I can whip up :-).

If you want to spend a little time on a yummy creamy mouthfeel dessert check out Coconut Crunch Delight that I found here:

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/coconut_crunch_delight.html

Instead of splenda I use 1/4 tsp Stevia and use pecans since that's what I keep around. My brother who is a very picky eater & wants nothing to do with 'diet food' gobbled up a serving of this. I don't think it tastes like diet food at all & would have no prob serving as a fancy dessert for dinner guests.
  • moss11
    Options
    Thank you for that link just looked it up and it sounds delicious. I have enough ingredients to make something comparable. Bit scared to make something too nice and moreish! Following previous posts I have dressed up my normal cream cheese type dessert with cocoa powder and seeds. Such an easy addition yet so tasty and satisfying. So will gradually get more adventurous, can still only make a single portion though!! :-)