Late night snacking

Options
I'm trying to recover from my eating disorder...and I have a bad habit of snacking at night. Any advice on how to avoid late night snacking would be helpful.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Late night snacking isn’t a problem unless it puts you outside your calorie goal or makes it hard for you to sleep. Budget calories for your snacks and enjoy them.
  • miamademedoit
    miamademedoit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    😊Thank you so much for saying that, I was overwhelmed and over thinking battling my thoughts... Now I'm rambling. 🤭 Anyway thank you so much for your kind words.
  • samrobson19672017
    Options
    I eat quark if I need a late night fix - full of protein and can be sweet or savoury - add berries or tuna !! No guilt just great nutrition
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    Agree. I snack every night at 9 pm, in the past it was ice cream but now it is cottage cheese. So instead of an 800 calorie night snack now I get 100-200 calories at night. For me, I think the nutrition in cottage cheese helps me sleep and recover from exercise. Just try out different snacks until you find the right one.

I’m with you on this one cottage cheese with fruit is always a go to for me.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered plain yogurt with cookies and cream whey protein mixed in. It ends up coming out at about 300 calories the way I eat it, but it's a fantastic dessert on days when I've goofed up my macros and "dessert" needs to have 30g of protein. :D
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I've just discovered plain yogurt with cookies and cream whey protein mixed in. It ends up coming out at about 300 calories the way I eat it, but it's a fantastic dessert on days when I've goofed up my macros and "dessert" needs to have 30g of protein. :D

I have this for brekkie too. And also skyr is good if you need a protein hit. I have this for desert if my main course has been carby
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    there is some research that shows a snack before bed - helps you go to sleep faster and stay asleep longer- something to do with insulin spikes - since i started incorporating a pre-bed snack i feel significantly better in the long run
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Nobody seems to be saying this so I will.

As someone who has also spent a long time in ED recovery -- the most important thing you can do right now is get off this app. If you are in recovery, you should not be counting your calories or trying to cut back on snacks. Please seek professional help if you haven't already, because I know how much of a slippery slope this app can be.