Keto net carbs

Options
Hi folks! I’ve been doing keto for a month now and not lost any weight . I do feel better, not hungry or irritable and eat less but not losing weight either. I used to be vegan but became vegetarian for keto to make it easier. Eggs, full fat organic Greek yogurt, avos, coconut oil, nuts, cheddar cheese. I use the free map which doesn’t break down net carbs. My carbs tend to be higher but I eat lots of veg so thinking it’s that. Also I’m 44 and can’t exercise like I used to because of back fusion surgery. I do low impact hiit 3x a week. Walk my dog on trails 30-60 min 4 x a week and do yoga 1-2 x a week. Anyone else having issues losing weight on keto with these types of obstacles? I’m eating 1300-1500 a day

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Ketosis isn't the cause of weight loss - a caloric deficit is.

Look at the list of foods and they are very calorie dense, you are going to need to be accurate with knowing your portion sizes are accurate and you really are eating "1300 - 1500 a day".
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food on a scale? That's #1 to know if you are staying within your calorie deficit.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories. It's not necessary to to hardcore exercise or to do Keto perfectly in order to lose weight. It's not about going "over" in carbs, it's about going over in calories. I lost all my 80ish pounds doing moderate exercise like you are.

Are you faithfully logging everything you eat? You may need to spend $20 on a food scale to keep your portions in line. In my experience it's especially easy to eat too many calories on a higher fat plan like Keto. A little too much butter here, a half ounce too much cheese there..an extra few almonds. It adds up quickly.

Almonds are evil! I love them so much haha
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories. It's not necessary to to hardcore exercise or to do Keto perfectly in order to lose weight. It's not about going "over" in carbs, it's about going over in calories. I lost all my 80ish pounds doing moderate exercise like you are.

Are you faithfully logging everything you eat? You may need to spend $20 on a food scale to keep your portions in line. In my experience it's especially easy to eat too many calories on a higher fat plan like Keto. A little too much butter here, a half ounce too much cheese there..an extra few almonds. It adds up quickly.

Almonds are evil! I love them so much haha

But they're good for you!

Nuts in general are evil. Yesterday I had a small sleeve of mixed almonds, peanuts, pecans and cashews fresh roasted (I was in a big city and right at the roaster) and coated in cinnamon and sugar.

OhEmmGee. Three ounces were the perfect snack, though. I was full for hours.
  • vanessalevin2015
    Options
    I do weigh and measure everything and because I don’t eat animals, nuts are important to my diet. Anyone doing this without eating animals and lost weight???
  • vanessalevin2015
    Options
    I wasn’t going to list everything I eat but it seems folks thinking I’m eating too dense food . I also eat salad everyday, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower too. And half a cup of blueberries a day because it was hard going from a vegan hclf to keto. I really love fruit do eating this little bit is a huge overhaul from how much fruit I used to eat.
  • sijomial
    Options
    I do weigh and measure everything and because I don’t eat animals, nuts are important to my diet. Anyone doing this without eating animals and lost weight???

"Animals" are less calorie dense than the many high fat content foods you mention including nuts. I love nuts too but they are calorie bombs.

Whether you are vegetarian or not knowing your actual calorie intake is reasonably close to the goal you choose is important.

How are you estimating at the moment?
  • sijomial
    Options
    I wasn’t going to list everything I eat but it seems folks thinking I’m eating too dense food . I also eat salad everyday, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower too. And half a cup of blueberries a day because it was hard going from a vegan hclf to keto. I really love fruit do eating this little bit is a huge overhaul from how much fruit I used to eat.

People aren't saying your food is too calorie dense, saying it's more important to be precise because of the calorie density.

Fat is 9 cals per gram, protein and carbs are 4 cals per gram so you can see that if you have a high fat diet the same margin of error is more than twice as significant.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that little side discussion was between nighthawk584 and I, and we weren't saying you shouldn't eat nuts. Nuts are awesome.

Just weigh them on your digital scale (and weigh everything on that scale) so you know how much of it you're eating. There ARE other Keto Vegetarians but it is a difficult route to take, and if I were eating vegetarian I wouldn't also attempt to eat Keto.

Keto isn't necessary to lose weight, and it is pretty restrictive if also doing a vegetarian plan. Calorie awareness is the key here.
  • iheartmyyorkie
    iheartmyyorkie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian and keto means your are probably getting the majority of your calories and nutrients from high fat sources like nuts, dairy, and avocados, as you describe. It's a pretty limited way to eat, but can be higher in calories than you might think. My guess is that you are estimating your calories, and not actually logging every bite you eat into the diary. If not, you might want to open your food diary for more help.
  • dougpro
    dougpro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’ve been logging my food now for 7 weeks. Trying to keep my carbs down below 65 per day. Calorie intake about 1400 per day. My weight was 237 when I started. I’ve lost 16 lbs so far. I walk 2-3 miles each workout 3 or 4 times a week. I’m going to get down to 180 lbs at some point. There are days when I eat some crap or drink some beers, but get right back to the routine the next day. The low carbs was hard for me. I’m on the road every day for work and had to cut out eating out and now bring my lunch every day.
    PS: I’m a 53 yr old male
  • vanessalevin2015
    Options
    My weight is 166 right now. Trying to get to 145 because it’s putting a lot of pressure on the screws and plates in my back. I’ve been told keto can help with hormone regulation too and since I have thyroid cancer I’m trying to help shrink the tumors anyway I can. I have noticed that it’s help with menopause symptoms. I’m early onset menopause due to having had 4 types of cancer all hormone related. I’m grateful everyday to be alive . Weightliss isn’t aesthetic it’s for pain mgmnt
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

"Animals" are less calorie dense than the many high fat content foods you mention including nuts. I love nuts too but they are calorie bombs.

Whether you are vegetarian or not knowing your actual calorie intake is reasonably close to the goal you choose is important.

How are you estimating at the moment?

The bolded is correct and includes an important question. OP, are you actually logging? How are you determining amounts? If you open your diary we could probably help more.
  • Dontkillbill
    Dontkillbill Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think you are close. Sounds like you have your activity set and just a little fine tuning on net calories and you are good to loose. Sounds like you have some calorie dense food in the diet. LIke others said check the calories and portions. I bet you make a break through soon!
  • mamapitek
    mamapitek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All the research I've done indicates that when you do keto you should keep your net carbs below 50 each day. You can have MFP track your carbs and also your fiber...If you subtract your fiber from your total carbs that should be your net carbs for the day (i.e. if you had 60 total carbs but 15 were from fiber then you're at 45 net carbs for the day and under the 50/day goal). Also set your macro percentages to 70-80% fats, 5% carbs, and the remainder (15-20%) protein. It's HARD to stay within these parameters, but it works, I lost 15lbs my first month doing keto. Hope this helps!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options

Yes, without eating animals, but not keto or even low carb. (I lost around 50 pounds in a bit less than a year, in 2015, and have been maintaining since.)

Veggie and keto can be a more challenging combination, because so many plant sources of protein are higher in carbohydrates, as is dairy. I don't eat animals (or fish/seafood), but have been ovo-lacto veg for 45 years. I lost weight fine, while getting 80-100g protein most days, but also 150g-ish of carbs while losing (more like 200g in maintenance).

Nuts are a pretty calorie-dense protein source, tasty though they are. I rely a lot on legumes and dairy, both of which are quite carb-y. I think I could hit my calorie and protein goals without dairy (or eggs), but not in my case at a keto level of carbs, while still feeling satisfied with my eating from a satiation and tastiness perspective.

I'm sorry to say I don't have any great suggestions for you that are keto-friendly and vegetarian, unless you can identify a keto-friendly vegetarian protein powder (I don't find protein powder tasty or filling, so I never eat it, thus can't suggest an option for that, either).

The best source for calorie-efficient protein ideas is this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency. If you scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy things near the top of the spreadsheet, you'll find plant sources . . . but I'm not sure that those will be keto-friendly, either.

I wish I could be more help: Best wishes!