Hubby needs to make changes

Options
Becky03026847
Becky03026847 Posts: 34 Member
Hubby is 50 years old and due to a army injury has had 4 surgeries on his knee. Just recently had his 4th one but he is 6 ft 1 and 365 lbs and can't be real active like he once was because of his knee and because of his job...he drives tractor trailer. He can't get out and walk or exercise a lot at rest areas because he has to stay with the loads. There have been cases where loads have been stolen. I did buy him some garcina chews from GNC and he eats those just before he eats a meal and those help. Doctor told him he has to lose 75 lbs before he can do a knee replacement. So, my dilemma is he is limited on what kind of foods are easily accessible on the road because you can't park a big truck just anywhere and he doesn't have the room in the truck for a fridge. Needing ideas of what to do! He is only home 48 hours a week. Downfall is potatoes and breads, pasta. Thanks.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    If his weight is at the level of concern from a health point of view, can he get support from insurance for a dietitian/nutritionist? This might help.
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I agree with PP about the cooler...great idea! Does your husband use MFP? If not, you could maybe recommend he starts to use it. I think @Diatonic12 has hit the nail on the head here and has given some pretty good suggestions 🙂

All the best!
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot with horses - and totally understand about the difficulty of getting trucks/trailers in and out of many of the better options. My bf also has a semi and makes occasional runs. Even truck stops generally have some 'ok' choices for food. Almonds & beef jerky are often my go-to choices. They make the little to-go cups of peanut butter - that with an apple is one of my fav snacks. Protein bars - they're not exciting, but you can find some healthy options. He's just going to have to be a bit more organized when getting ready to roll - but it's doable. Get him a cooler!
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    My friend's father is in the same boat. He is in his 60s and was well over 300lbs, and needs a knee replacement. His doctor would not do the operation unless he was under 250lbs. So, he joined Weight Watchers with his wife and daughter this spring. He is not able to exercise, but just changing his diet over the last half a year has gotten him under 250 and his doc scheduled his surgery for January 2020. His bonus motivation was making sure he will be able to dance with his daughter at her wedding in October 2020.

If WW is not for your husband, he can still do it. The accountability and support of WW might help. But as others have mentioned, if you work together and help him build healthier habits like bringing food with him in a cooler instead of resorting to food on the road, you should see significant benefits. It will be very difficult at first, but keeping the "big picture" in mind may ease the pain of the small changes he makes every day.