What exercises can I do with sciatica?

Hi. I'm Simon.
I weigh 111 kg and I'm 182 cm tall. In my biggest, I weighed 116 kg. Two years ago I was diagnosed with sciatica. Neurologist told me my spine looks like after three pregnancies. I was treated and rehabilitation gave me mobility and life without constant pain. I even managed to come back to a gym. Unfortunately, I started to feel too well and I experimented with rolling on my back and that way I returned my sciatica symptoms and pain. Now I'm again on my rehabilitation but I need to lose weight to extend the time between recurrences of symptoms. Pain makes me not able to walk long distances. I have a set of rehabilitation exercises but there are not really for burning calories but for reducing pain. I started a diet for life. The rehabilitation center is far away from my work and home so I don't have time to go to the gym.
So that my question: Do you know low impact exercises that make me lose weight in my home?

Replies

• twistedhailstone
    twistedhailstone Posts: 26 Member
    I can’t advise on what exercises to do to lose weight but have you ever looked into DDP yoga? DDP developed his own brand of yoga to help with his back issues and involves a mix of yoga and rehabilitation exercises.
  • grucasimon
    grucasimon Posts: 2 Member
    Interesting I've never heard of it. I need to read more about it. Thank you for your suggestion. I'm open to any of the suggestions :smile:
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    I had sciatica 15 years ago. Swimming helped me a *ton. That and stretching, massage and a bit of yoga.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    grucasimon wrote: »
    Hi. I'm Simon.
    I weigh 111 kg and I'm 182 cm tall. In my biggest, I weighed 116 kg. Two years ago I was diagnosed with sciatica. Neurologist told me my spine looks like after three pregnancies. I was treated and rehabilitation gave me mobility and life without constant pain. I even managed to come back to a gym. Unfortunately, I started to feel too well and I experimented with rolling on my back and that way I returned my sciatica symptoms and pain. Now I'm again on my rehabilitation but I need to lose weight to extend the time between recurrences of symptoms. Pain makes me not able to walk long distances. I have a set of rehabilitation exercises but there are not really for burning calories but for reducing pain. I started a diet for life. The rehabilitation center is far away from my work and home so I don't have time to go to the gym.
    So that my question: Do you know low impact exercises that make me lose weight in my home?

Your diet is going to have far more impact on your weight loss than your exercise. You don't need exercise to lose weight, you just need to be calorie deficient. I lost a good 20 Lbs with diet alone before I ever started exercise. Exercise is great for your overall health and well being...but personally, I'd take care of the sciatica first and focus on diet for losing weight for the moment.
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    Years ago I tried doing the Insanity workout. I hurt my lower back and ever since then when I go over a certain weight I feel sciatica problems. So, the first thing I would try is to get down in weight. The next thing that I focused on was to strengthen my lower back with deadlifts.

Everyone's different, so I'm just sharing what helped for me. Hopefully you find relief in what you do.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    grucasimon wrote: »
    Qq

There isn't a exercise that by itself will make you lose weight. That comes from your diet and if you are eating in a deficit or not.

I understand a lot about pain and not being comfortable walking. I have problems walking down the block without 2-3 pain breaks myself. I would hope its something you can actively peruse as a goal even if that means tolerating some pain.

I'm glad you found resistance training helps with your pain. It's well documented on that benefit.

Perhaps a stationary or rowing machine would help you stay active.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    If you can find a Pilates class it's great for the back. When mine was at its worst I was taking Pilates classes from a friend and it was the only time I'd feel some relief. It was wonderful
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    I had sciatica 15 years ago. Swimming helped me a *ton. That and stretching, massage and a bit of yoga.

Just clarifying, swimming actually relieved my sciatica pain (not just a good exercise with sciatica for weight loss). I'd swim because it somehow loosened up parts that were tight and strengthened parts that were weak...if my sciatica was particularly bad....I'd head to the pool for relief. Sciatica sucks. Good luck.

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,549 Member
    As far as at home I'd check out YouTube videos. I did Walk Away the Pounds before my last back surgery. Walking around the neighborhood would be good, if you start getting pain you are close to home. I bought a recumbent bike after hearing how good they were for back problems but didn't use it until this year, I use it almost every day now! Weights. The hardest thing I use is the elliptical, I have 8 nerves damaged in my left leg and overcompensate for it when I walk and the elliptical forces me to use my leg properly, I see it as a form of therapy. There's a machine I did in therapy that's also at my gym, it's an upper body machine where you pedal with your hands. Not sure if you're looking for non-machine things, at-home only, or gym too. If you can get to a pool swimming and/or water jogging is good exercise as well.
  • lbyoung
    lbyoung Posts: 2 Member
    I deal with sciatica/chronic back pain as well. Things that have helped me...

▪️swimming/being in water - (not a good swimmer, but simply being in the water up to my neck for 30+ minutes relieves much of the pressure/pain. It’s amazing. We have a local community pool indoors for winter months. Most of the following are fairly easily found in a local gym/community space, in my area. Maybe some will work for you 🙂
    ▪️recumbent bike - being in a sitting position is painful after awhile but the back support is very helpful and the angle helps me to ride a little longer.
    ▪️doing the PT exercises - although not high calorie burning do help to strengthen weak areas so I can better function daily and gradually do other exercises for longer periods
    ▪️walking - I go slow and stick to mostly flat ground as hills put a lot of pressure on lower back area
    ▪️some days I can’t do any of the above due to pain BUT on days I can, something is always better than nothing 🙂 and that helps motivate me when I can *physically* exercise but *mentally* don’t want to.
    ▪️if you’re in a calorie deficit, you’ll lose weight. Reminding myself I’m in control of what I eat, especially on days I can’t exercise.

Best of luck to you!!