Bathing suits

Options
Ok, so I'm sure there has been topics like this in the past but I'm a newbie so here it goes.

Next weekend is the annual beach trip I go on with the ladies in my family. It's two days of sunshine and surf (not to mention drinks, rich food, and various other unhealthy things.) The thing is that I have never had a "beach body" so I just despise the beach in general.

But I try and be a good sport about it and go each year.
However, this year I peaked at my heaviest weight in years. Even though I've lost some (10 lbs!) but that is still not really close to being thin enough so I don't feel embarrassed walking around in a bikini. All my swimsuits give me major side boob and it's not attractive it just doesn't look like it fits. :[

Anyway, just wondering what other people do to try and make themselves feel more comfortable at the beach through their weight loss?

Just wear a tee shirt?
Cover ups?

Replies

• seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Cover-ups. But if you want to swim, you've got to take it off eventually. Then I take it off at the last minute and run to the water.

Unless you are around a lot of really fit people, they are probably worrying more about what their own bodies look like than what you look like. And some may be even thinking they wish they had a body like yours.
  • 1976LR
    1976LR Posts: 2
    Options
    Go to modcloth.comand find a great vintage swimsuit. Actual women even send in their pictures along with the reviews. Whenever I wear mine, I actually get women coming up to me to compliment me--in a bikini, stretch marks, baby pouch, and all!
  • Kittiegirl06
    Kittiegirl06 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think a cover up would be a good choice. Or even a new swimsuit. Like, one that covers problem areas or whatever. I think fuller swimsuits can still be cute. Personally, because I love the beach but am not confident with my body, I wear a skirted 2 piece tankini. I like the fit and the print, so it works for me.
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I bought the Land's End "sweetheart" one-piece and it covers back fat, side boob, the squishy fat by your armpits and it's really cute. I always wear board shorts, because I'm not comfortable with my rear end yet. It comes in black, red and paisley (black and white).
    http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-sweetheart-one-piece-slender-suit/id_231662
  • Junie2013
    Options
    I wear a sport skort and sports bra with a racer back tank top over it. I walk on the beach a lot, so I prefer to dress in exercise gear. If I want to go in the water, it's usually only wading a bit, so the sport skort is fine.

I also agree with seliinacoe - I don't think most people are paying much attention. The only time I notice is when someone is wearing a suit that is way too small for them. Wear something that fits, and you will be fine. If you're not ready to replace your current suit, a cute beach coverup will still fit on the way down. No on the T-shirt. I don't think that helps anyone.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    By the prettiest suit you can find THAT FITS. Then kick all the imaginary judgers out of your mind and enjoy yourself. I refuse to cover up and feel miserable at the beach. Relax, enjoy the sun & your friend/family.
    Ok, so I'm sure there has been topics like this in the past but I'm a newbie so here it goes.

Next weekend is the annual beach trip I go on with the ladies in my family. It's two days of sunshine and surf (not to mention drinks, rich food, and various other unhealthy things.) The thing is that I have never had a "beach body" so I just despise the beach in general.

But I try and be a good sport about it and go each year.
    However, this year I peaked at my heaviest weight in years. Even though I've lost some (10 lbs!) but that is still not really close to being thin enough so I don't feel embarrassed walking around in a bikini. All my swimsuits give me major side boob and it's not attractive it just doesn't look like it fits. :[

Anyway, just wondering what other people do to try and make themselves feel more comfortable at the beach through their weight loss?

Just wear a tee shirt?
    Cover ups?
  • VannaLa
    VannaLa Posts: 1
    Options
    Vintage high waisted swimming suits are always a good choice. I love my vintage swimsuit. I got it on clearance at Macy's for only 15 dollars. Its a one piece and it is one shoulder. Its like a fitted mini dress. The slip inside covers everything I don't want anyone to see.

Also, just have fun! People can tell when you are self conscious and worried. Have all the confidence you would have if you were your goal weight and people will look at your gorgeous smile instead of whatever you are trying to hide. Hope this helps a little. :)
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have a swim jacket which I bought partly b/c of being chubby :) but also b/c I am a redhead and burn really easily, and always miss spots with my suntan lotion as I go to the pool alone w/ my kids and have to put it on myself...I actually think that I will still wear a lot more coverage even when I get to my goal weight b/c I have had bad burns throughout my life and want to avoid any in the future...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Go buy a new swim suit that fits.

Side boob means your suit doesn't fit. You'll be a billion times happier with it once you get one that fits.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone, go buy a suit that fits well. Now is a great time, as a lot of the stores are dumping their summer stock for back-to-school/fall clothes.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone, go buy a suit that fits well. Now is a great time, as a lot of the stores are dumping their summer stock for back-to-school/fall clothes.

Yep. Don't let feeling self-conscious keep you from enjoying yourself. There are lots of options in swimwear now.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    A look I like is a combination of men's swim trunks with a bikini top.

Also check out the speedo suits. Several of their training suits have strategically placed panels and contour lines that are flattering on heavier bodies.
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Go to modcloth.comand find a great vintage swimsuit. Actual women even send in their pictures along with the reviews. Whenever I wear mine, I actually get women coming up to me to compliment me--in a bikini, stretch marks, baby pouch, and all!

^this! modcloth.com has the cutest vintage swimsuits! I want them all... Good luck on your swimsuit hunt.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I buy one piece swimsuits that have rushing around the stomach to hide the extra weight that I carry there (those abs in my picture are my motivation, not mine!) I also love a tunic coverup or a sarong for when I'm not in the water.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options

Why didn't I know about this site earlier?
  • amberchammock
    Options
    I like to have an adult beverage or two. The ole' liquor sweater makes me feel like the hottest thing on the sand lol And while its not true, without my inhibitions about how fat my love handles look at this angle, i have a much better time... :)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    When I was heavier, I liked to wear swim dresses. I think some of them are really cute. Even now, I'm happy with my bod and wear 2 pieces, I sometimes throw on one. I just think they can be pretty. For perspective: I live at the ocean in the summer.

Some can be frumpy, but some are really cute:

7231000spe?$thumbnail-182x214$

R20047-664.jpg

0528_84487_mm.jpg?wid=179&qlt=90&op_sharpen=1

swim-dress-z312.jpg

With these, you don't even need a cover up if you want to take a walk on the beach. Get thee a floppy hat, and you're gorgeous.
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've always turned to my black Speedo competition swimsuit. It slims everything and doesn't create the unsightly side-boob (maybe a bit of uni-boob). I've had it for at least 6 years and it's held up great and adjusted well even as I gained and lost weight. Otherwise, get a cute wrap or beach cover up (Old Navy has really pretty colourful ones). When all else fails, decide that you don't give a damn about everyone else's opinion and enjoy your time with your friends and family!
  • lessthan60
    Options
    Nobody cares about body issues in my country, plus there's plenty of different body types that can be found at the beach, chances are you're not going to be the only one who's self conscious about themselves.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Vintage high waisted swimming suits are always a good choice. I love my vintage swimsuit. I got it on clearance at Macy's for only 15 dollars. Its a one piece and it is one shoulder. Its like a fitted mini dress. The slip inside covers everything I don't want anyone to see.

Also, just have fun! People can tell when you are self conscious and worried. Have all the confidence you would have if you were your goal weight and people will look at your gorgeous smile instead of whatever you are trying to hide. Hope this helps a little. :)

High waisted suits are only good if you look like Taylor Swift. Wear a well-adjusted string bikini, with some sort of semi-see-through cover up.

Enjoy