Personal Trainers?

Options
peachvine29
peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
edited November 2019 in Motivation and Support
Hello everyone, so I have lost a lot of weight (65 lbs.) at a rate of about 0.5-1 pound a week on average from February 2018 to April 2019.

I am 5'7.5'', small frame (not even close to medium), and am averaging 135 lbs.

Since May I have come from averaging about 138 lbs. to 135 lbs. today, weight loss has almost stopped, but I still want to lose at least 10 more pounds (yes this will still put me in a healthy but apparently low weight, however like I said I have a very small frame and am mainly dealing with a lot of belly/midsection fat.

Lately I have not been as consistent with my workouts, skipping or shortening them, debating on programs, and have been averaging about 1,900 net cals a day rather than my goal of just under 1,500 net per day. I am struggling with motivation. My work has a very nice big gym and is hiring personal trainers to come in (we do have to pay for them, $33 a session). I have a free 45 minute initial consultation tomorrow with a trainer (who power lifts). I am excited and thinking about signing up for some sessions to get held accountable for my goals.

Do personal trainers help with motivation and adherence? I KNOW I still have to put in the work with my diet and workouts, however doing it all by myself is kind of getting hard.

Any experiences to share?

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    It depends on who you are. For some people having a personal trainer to help with workouts/diet/accountability is super helpful, for others not so much.

Personally, I had a not so great experience with personal trainers. I had to go through 3 before finding a fourth who was a great fit and I felt was actually helping me. So don’t be afraid to switch trainers if you aren’t getting what you need out of your sessions.
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Hiring someone to be accountable for yourself? Ain't gonna happen. You either want it or you don't. Slacking off can be caused by a busy life, boredom, distractions, whatever. I work out 5 days a week for a total of +/- 8 hours a week, including biking. Weekends are mostly free.

We all slack sometimes. It's hard work. Exercising, that is..slacking's way too easy.

A powerlifting trainer? Yikes. What's more common for a beginner is a core trainer to find your strengths and go from there. A good core trainer will help you decide after 12 months or so. You won't be able to lift without a great core, anyways. Besides, the best bodies I've ever seen weren't all that strong, but very well defined.

Powerlifting is painful...lol. At my peak, I deadlifted 550lbs and called it good. Went to bodybuilding and stayed there.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    My first trainer was my powerlifting coach. ^^

I don't see anything wrong with that.

But to answer OP's question, having a personal trainer doesn't really help me to stay accountable with my food intake. My food scale and pre-logging what I eat is best for that, for me.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Do personal trainers help with motivation and adherence? I KNOW I still have to put in the work with my diet and workouts, however doing it all by myself is kind of getting hard.

Absolutely. If your budget can afford it, why not. Celebrities and professional athletes have them. They can help you break up the monotony and gym boredom.

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Although I have never used a Personal Trainer, I know many people that have. I believe it to be personal preference. Yes a power lifter can also be a Personal Trainer. I say give it a try. You'll learn if it is a good fit for you or not.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Well I think I want the trainer so that I can get out of my workout funk, learn some good form, be told what my strengths and weaknesses are, be less bored and have someone to report my results to rather than just myself. I could do it by myself but just thought having an expert could help with getting excited again and learning more.

I have been on track with my diet the past two days, stayed at 1,500 cals. I know that's where the fat loss comes from, and that nothing will change if I don't stick to my deficit.

I'm gonna do a trial of having a trainer and see if it helps me set goals and learn to lift better. I'm not trying to power lift, he is just a power lifter. I want to lift properly but am timid to try focus on bodybuilding because I can become very body focused and insecure when I do that.

I hired a personal trainer several years ago for the same reasons you listed in your first paragraph. I watched the trainers at my gym for a while before hiring one. He worked out well for me.

The main things I learned was better form, a larger variety of exercises and that I could lift a whole lot more than I was doing by myself. I think it was that boost of confidence that helped me the most. He pushed me pretty hard but it was worth it and I felt really good afterwards. Give it a try!
  • PTA4LYF
    PTA4LYF Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well I think I want the trainer so that I can get out of my workout funk, learn some good form, be told what my strengths and weaknesses are, be less bored and have someone to report my results to rather than just myself. I could do it by myself but just thought having an expert could help with getting excited again and learning more.

personal trainer and the term expert in the same sentence is an oxymoron!!!
  • peachvine29
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I have been on track with my diet the past two days, stayed at 1,500 cals. I know that's where the fat loss comes from, and that nothing will change if I don't stick to my deficit.

I'm gonna do a trial of having a trainer and see if it helps me set goals and learn to lift better. I'm not trying to power lift, he is just a power lifter. I want to lift properly but am timid to try focus on bodybuilding because I can become very body focused and insecure when I do that.

I hired a personal trainer several years ago for the same reasons you listed in your first paragraph. I watched the trainers at my gym for a while before hiring one. He worked out well for me.

The main things I learned was better form, a larger variety of exercises and that I could lift a whole lot more than I was doing by myself. I think it was that boost of confidence that helped me the most. He pushed me pretty hard but it was worth it and I felt really good afterwards. Give it a try!

Thank you! Those are the things I am hoping to get out of it (better form, how much I can really lift properly, confidence)! I think it will turn out to be helpful in one way or another.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It depends on who you are. For some people having a personal trainer to help with workouts/diet/accountability is super helpful, for others not so much.

Personally, I had a not so great experience with personal trainers. I had to go through 3 before finding a fourth who was a great fit and I felt was actually helping me. So don’t be afraid to switch trainers if you aren’t getting what you need out of your sessions.

This is pretty normal unless you just luck out...especially if you're at a big corporate gym and the trainers are employees. In most, but not all cases, those trainers are fairly new to the profession and are lacking in real world experience. The best trainers I've had are those that are their own business and renting space at a gym or have their own facility....they're usually more expensive though.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Trainers can provide: coaching (do it this way for best results), appreciation (atta girl), and evaluation (progress made towards goals)

You have to set your own goals, but the trainer can help you be realistic with them.
    We each have our own reasons (motivations) for working out, alone or with a trainer. I suspect that any trainer will be more responsive to a client who arrives already self-motivated to get an effective work out.

In your post, there are a number of different goals listed. I see them from two different points of view: tangible/objective goals, and , intangible/subjective ones. I think the trainer can best help with the objective goals. I also think that the results of training can have a positive impact on the INTANGIBLE Subjective goals.

TANGIBLE OBJECTIVE:
    - help set goals
    - lift better./properly
    - learn some good form
    - be told what my strengths and weaknesses are

INTANGIBLE SUBJECTIVE:
    - be less bored
    - have someone to report to
    - get help with getting excited
    - learning more
    - get out of my workout funk

good luck to you!

• peachvine29
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »

Trainers can provide: coaching (do it this way for best results), appreciation (atta girl), and evaluation (progress made towards goals)

You have to set your own goals, but the trainer can help you be realistic with them.
    We each have our own reasons (motivations) for working out, alone or with a trainer. I suspect that any trainer will be more responsive to a client who arrives already self-motivated to get an effective work out.

In your post, there are a number of different goals listed. I see them from two different points of view: tangible/objective goals, and , intangible/subjective ones. I think the trainer can best help with the objective goals. I also think that the results of training can have a positive impact on the INTANGIBLE Subjective goals.

TANGIBLE OBJECTIVE:
    - help set goals
    - lift better./properly
    - learn some good form
    - be told what my strengths and weaknesses are

INTANGIBLE SUBJECTIVE:
    - be less bored
    - have someone to report to
    - get help with getting excited
    - learning more
    - get out of my workout funk

good luck to you!

Wow thanks! This deffinitely helped me sort out in my head my reasonings for seeing a PT. I feel more confident about it now :)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You have the opposite problem to me. I thought I hired a personal trainer and got a life coach. I think you need a life coach if you want help with food and motivation. Whomever you hire make your goals crystal clear. Perhaps get it in writing. Just my two cents.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it was what you needed! I'm glad you enjoyed your session and feel good about things. I found the closer to goal weight the more I did and do focus on fitness and mobility. It's helped a lot being at goal weight since the scale's no longer moving to show I'm doing things right. Switching up workouts and doing new things keeps fitness interesting!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Update: I saw the PT today and really enjoyed my session! He is a very positive, upbeat, and no nonsense guy, made my workout fun and interesting, taught me good form, it was a total breath of fresh air. I liked it. And I feel healthily worked out rather than pushing myself too hard or being lazy and feeling crappy like I have been lately.

Great decision.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    So happy to hear that! The right PT makes all the difference.

At a Workout Anytime gym a few years ago, my husband and I shared a PT who was a former marine drill sergeant. We hated it but were contractually committed. He was brutal, yelled at us, and had us doing things we had no business trying. I tried again a year or two later at LA Fitness. He was nice enough, but disengaged and if I whined, as I was prone to do In those days, he backed off. I didn’t accomplish anything, but that was on me.

Four or five years later, now serious about weight loss, my third trainer was recommended by a neighbor at a local barbell gym. I actually hadn’t planned to train, just went in to check out the gym she and her husband own and we clicked immediately. Working out with her has been a revelation. She explains everything she does and why she does it, has a long term plan, has me working to improve skills as much as weight, and she is crazy encouraging. It’s like having a personal cheerleader and every session is like a blooming birthday party, sans hat and cake. Best of all, this tiny little woman demands respect in this heavy metal, competitive gym and doesn’t let the testosterone talk back. These hulking guys live in fear of her, and would do anything in the world for her. The female lifters are all her babies. There is no way I would have ever gone back to this type gym without her being there. I’d be petrified.

The difference in this trainer versus the first two is like night and day. Having the right trainer is incredibly, unbelievably motivating.
  • peachvine29
    Options
    So happy to hear that! The right PT makes all the difference.

At a Workout Anytime gym a few years ago, my husband and I shared a PT who was a former marine drill sergeant. We hated it but were contractually committed. He was brutal, yelled at us, and had us doing things we had no business trying. I tried again a year or two later at LA Fitness. He was nice enough, but disengaged and if I whined, as I was prone to do In those days, he backed off. I didn’t accomplish anything, but that was on me.

Four or five years later, now serious about weight loss, my third trainer was recommended by a neighbor at a local barbell gym. I actually hadn’t planned to train, just went in to check out the gym she and her husband own and we clicked immediately. Working out with her has been a revelation. She explains everything she does and why she does it, has a long term plan, has me working to improve skills as much as weight, and she is crazy encouraging. It’s like having a personal cheerleader and every session is like a blooming birthday party, sans hat and cake. Best of all, this tiny little woman demands respect in this heavy metal, competitive gym and doesn’t let the testosterone talk back. These hulking guys live in fear of her, and would do anything in the world for her. The female lifters are all her babies. There is no way I would have ever gone back to this type gym without her being there. I’d be petrified.

The difference in this trainer versus the first two is like night and day. Having the right trainer is incredibly, unbelievably motivating.

That's awesome! I think I would love that kind of trainer too! I do think it is all about the trainer.

I tried one a few months ago, and just wasn't tooo inspired, and also I hadn't fully committed to wanting to get a trainer. When I came for the session, she just asked me what I wanted to work on, so I told her some lifts I wanted to work on. It was helpful, but I just was wanting someone else to advise me on things, or give me some direction. I know part of that comes from the inside but I have been leading myself so long in the dark I just wanted someone to help me discover what I needed.

This trainer, we really click. First consultation he took all my measurements, weight, body fat, asked me about my history and goals. Then second session gave me a great lifting workout, talked to me about my diet, met me where I was at. Then he sent me two workouts to do, plus a cardio day and has been checking in with me every day after my workouts. The accountability is really nice and I feel that I have like a new friend lol who is invested in my success. I'm newly invigorated and excited for my sessions. Loving it so far.