Let’s be honest

I’ve got to be honest. I’m fat!! Nasty, don’t want to look in the mirror fat. (Please no one think I’m making a statement by using the word fat. I need to for myself.) We went on vacation, a cruise and got to feed holler monkeys in Belize! There’s a video of me doing it and I’m so embarrassed by how I look I don’t even want to share it with people.

Sure. I have a thyroid problem but I’m not willing to use that as an excuse anymore. I can lose weight and be healthy.

I did WW with a bunch of friends in January. Lost lots of weight but I quit in May because I was tired of eating all the ‘sugar substitutes’ and weird things to keep my points down. Then I gained it all back plus a few. I’m ready to do it for me. My husbands supportive of whatever I decide and he just wants me to be happy, and never being able to find something to wear? Never wanting to go out because of how I look? That’s no life.

My hubby and I are trying to start a family. I need to be healthy for that too. So here I am. In full glory saying that I’m fat and I’m going to change it!

Looking for friends! :)

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Good news: No need to eat sugar subsitutes or weird things, in order to lose weight. Keep loss rate moderate (not super-speedy); learn how to eat permanently in a way you personally find filling, satisfying, tasty, nutritious, and practical along the way; and you can lose weight and keep it off.

Read the "Most Helpful Posts" section (called the "stickies" in MFP vernacular), log your food consistently (whether on or over goal), and just keep doing it. If necessary, get a food scale and learn how to use it (it's always quicker and more accurate, but it's not necessary for everyone.) If life gets in the way, just get back to healthy practices and a gradual weight loss rate as soon as you can manage.

Hypothyroidism is no barrier, though of course it's useful to be properly medicated. I'm hypo, and lost from obese to a healthy weight with MFP back in 2015 (at age 59-60 besides, without increasing my exercise (already active at the time)), and have stayed at a healthy weight for the 4+ years since.

Best wishes!
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Yup, I’m fat. I’m 50 lbs down from my heaviest weight and I’m still fat. I have 30ish pounds to go before I’m not fat. I don’t feel shame about it. It’s a fact and it’s something I want to improve about myself which means being honest about where I’m at.

I will say the biggest thing for me I’m actually seeing some progress and success in my weight loss was taking small steps. When I started I didn’t exercise at all. I didn’t worry about eating super healthy foods all the time. I paid zero attention to my macros. I just tracked my calories. Then I slowly started adding in some sporadic exercise. Started making better food choices so I got to eat more for fewer calories. Paid attention to how much protein I was eating. A year from my start date I ran a half-marathon and now I workout daily. But it took me over a year to get here. I used to try to go from 0-100 overnight and would do great for a week, maybe two and then burn out. Slow, sustainable changes is the way to go! It’s a marathon, not a sprint.