Running vs. Barre Class Question

Options
ChickenKillerPuppy
ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
edited November 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I think I know the answer to this but it will help to hear it from others. For background, I am 5'4" tall, 47 year old female, I weigh 148 and my goal is 130.

I was running 4 days a week and loved and it was a schedule I could really maintain, but I felt like I was doing nothing to get stronger, and I have been wanting to add some sort of strength conditioning.

I started going to Barre classes 2 days a week and love them. They are perfect - challenging and I work out all areas of my body and I feel myself getting stronger.

The problem is I have been having a hard time telling myself it's OK to cut back on my running days because the running is such great cardio and gives me extra exercise calories. But having to find time to either run or go to the barre class 6 days a week (2 barre, 4 running) is exhausting and is taking a lot of the fun out of this. I do, however, think I could easily maintain running 3 days a week (+ 2 barre classes) for a total of 5 days of exercise a week.

I should give myself permission to just run three days a week, right? Part of the problem is I lose more weight and see an improvement in my running when I run 4 days instead of 3, but that was also based on a time when I was not doing any other workouts. It's just a mental block but I feel I can't allow myself to just do three days running. Can folks help me get past that hurdle?

Replies

• StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Not clear from your comment if doing the 4 days running + 2 barre is too exhausting physically (i.e need more than one rest day) or exhausting in terms of time/ scheduling etc or some of both... If time, could you drop one of your running days, and split it into 2 HIIT type running workouts (or just one) before or after the Barre class? With a shorter/intense workout you might end up burning as many (or more) calories (during activity as well as afterwards due to HIIT) and improve performance running. Even 10-15 minutes of HIIT might help but be manageable time-wise ????

Even if you do drop the one day of running and can't add HIIT, building muscle/strength is great for weight loss goals, as muscle will burn more calories than fat! Sounds like you are pretty active and have a great plan so go ahead and grant your self permission! It might take a little longer, but its better to enjoy it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Two rest days is common practice and often a good idea. Just go for a walk or do some yoga or something on your rest days. Also, you need to look at your fitness beyond just losing weight...that's not the be all and end all.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    6 days a week of exercise may be counter productive. Your body needs rest days. Be kind to your body. Give it everything it needs.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,484 Member
    Options
    I often go for a run or long brisk walk immediately before a hot yoga flow or hot Pilates class. Could you do both? But I’m running 5k, not any great distance or anything.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It's ok to cut back on running for strength training. The strength may improve your running in the long term.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    There’s absolutely nothing wrong with three running days a week. I do distance running — mostly half marathons, with some 10Ks thrown in — and only do three days a week. If you wanted to be a seeded elite; that would be one thing — and in which case I’d tell you to talk to your coach — but as a recreational runner, there is nothing wrong with following a three day a week plan. Hal Higdon has several of them.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Do you have a long distance running goal like running a marathon or ultra? For those, you need four or more days of running. However, if you aren't planning a marathon in the near future, if you run for fitness and to burn calories, there is no reason you can't substitute barre for one of your running days. Barre will actually help your overall fitness and may help you prevent running injuries.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for these replies. I am not training for anything - just running for fitness and health and enjoyment. These are exactly the responses I needed to hear!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what level your barre class is, but it can help you build up your explosive strength, endurance, and flexibility quite a lot. I do not feel that you'd be selling yourself short by cutting down your running to get *rest* and taking the two barre classes. Especially not if you focus hard on your stride, foot placement, and pace on running days instead of just ... zoning out and enjoying the endorphins like I tend to. (I'm not always as present as I should be for improvement on things like running and rowing, where the pace can be soothing and meditative...)
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have similar stats and I've cut down my cardio and increased strength and am still losing weight. Slowly, but experiencing changes in my body composition that are making me much happier a lot faster. If you love both activities, you don't have to get rid of either -- but I'd maybe lean towards more strength (barre) days. It's also especially important to be doing strength training at your age because of osteoporosis.