New to the MyFitnessPal message boards. Here to lower cholesterol/triglycerides.

Options
Hi. I've used MyFitnessPal off and on for almost two years now, with some success. This is the first time I've visited the message boards, though. I do want to lose some weight, but what is more important right now is for me to lower my cholesterol and triglycerides. I'm pretty sure that in an effort to improve my blood work, some weight will naturally come off. My next round of blood tests are in early February. I'm hoping to achieve some positive difference by then. The cholesterol issue is much more challenging for me than the triglycerides. Sometimes my triglycerides are fine, but the cholesterol isn't. My total cholesterol, LDL, and NON HDL are all out of range. My HDL was OK last time.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    For those who don't have a familial (genetic) cholesterol issue, I'd say the reality is more likely to be the other way around. Certainly, for me, losing the weight fixed my cholesterol problems without really doing much of anything else. My tris and LDL dropped dramatically, along with blood pressure. With a different family history, the contingencies can be different.

Other things that can help, if you're not already doing them, of course are regular exercise, and a balanced diet with plenty of nice veggies/fruits and whole grain, plus healthy fats (nuts, avocados, fatty fish, olive oil, seeds, etc.).