Something New

Replies

• TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    dagee2 wrote: »
    Luckily in California the vegan options are plentiful. Haha

yes its funny how that works. Instead of travelling say to China you can have Chinese food, instead of Korea have Korean food, instead of Mexico have mexican food. Yet when you want American food its less and less of a choice. Go figure.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I'm thinking about trying to go a bit more meat free. I think I'd really struggle to go totally vegetarian or vegan, especially in a short space of time but I think I could manage adding a day a week, then 2. Over all I'm wanting to make my diet healthier so I think a couple days a week meat free and focussing more on fresh / raw whole foods is a good place to start. Just need to do It I suppose!

Over the past week, I've perused some local markets just to see what kind of options are available to initiate a meatless diet.

There seems to be a lot of options out there and I'm thinking that with these available options and the plethora of spices on the market, this might not be as difficult as I once thought.

If you don't have a moral dilemma about eating meat I would think twice. Some of that stuff is jam packed full of fillers. The Impossible Whopper is only 30 calories less than the real thing and has a ton of ingredients.

Yeah... it comes down to due diligence (like most things in life).

I have no moral dilemma about eating meat.

• Motorsheen

yes its funny how that works. Instead of travelling say to China you can have Chinese food, instead of Korea have Korean food, instead of Mexico have mexican food. Yet when you want American food its less and less of a choice. Go figure.

I think it's Un-Amurican not to like Mexican Food.
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member

I agree
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member

I think I was summoned to this thread :)
  • isalsayourface123
    Kayaking, running a race but I dont think I really want to do it,
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Other things I want to try/learn:
    • Blacksmithing
    • Leatherwork
    • Glassblowing
    • A martial art that isn't Hapkido, Karate or Taekwondo (I've done all of those).
    • Cave diving certification (I have Open Water, but scuba is an expensive hobby)
    • Someone near and dear to me wants to go swimming in a cage with a bunch of sharks swimming around. Now I want to do it, too.
    • Surfing
    • Be featured in an art gallery
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    I always wanted to run a 5k. I wanted to be able to say, “hey, I’m in my middle 40s and just ran my first race! You can do it too!” You know, be inspiring to someone yada yada yada.... however, it turns out that I can’t run worth the *kitten*.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    I always wanted to run a 5k. I wanted to be able to say, “hey, I’m in my middle 40s and just ran my first race! You can do it too!” You know, be inspiring to someone yada yada yada.... however, it turns out that I can’t run worth the *kitten*.

You dont have to run fast, you just have to get one foot moving in front of the other. I really think you can do that. It would be awesome if yuou gave it a shot :)
  • dagee2
    dagee2 Posts: 129 Member
    At Deadman, my wife has really enjoyed the Couch to 5k plan she’s on. It has seemed to help her! You start with walk/jog intervals and work your way up to full running.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    bojack5 wrote: »

You dont have to run fast, you just have to get one foot moving in front of the other. I really think you can do that. It would be awesome if yuou gave it a shot :)

I thought I was doing great. I was training on my treadmill every day. I soon discovered though, that 9k on a treadmill translates to about 40 feet on pavement. 😆
  • Motorsheen

I thought I was doing great. I was training on my treadmill every day. I soon discovered though, that 9k on a treadmill translates to about 40 feet on pavement. 😆

just keep after it...

at my first 10K, it came down to a dead run sprint to the finish between some pregnant lady and me.

.... between the two of us, I finished third.
  • isalsayourface123

just keep after it...

at my first 10K, it came down to a dead run sprint to the finish between some pregnant lady and me.

😂😂😂oh my
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    I’m thinking of becoming a Vegan.

Mix that in with some CrossFit workouts and I’ll never be at a loss for conversation.

Why do i feel like i was subliminally tagged here.....;)

😂😂
  • Deadman_Diggingup

just keep after it...

😆
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited November 2019
    Swimming for exercise. I know how to keep myself from drowning, but I am a very ugly swimmer. I rarely do it because I feel so ridiculous when everyone else looks so smooth and I look like I am just trying to survive

I can’t freestyle at all. I dog paddle, float, and generally look like a beginner, but go to the pool 6 times a week. Come swim with me! You’ll look good compared to me!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I’ve wanted to learn to belly dance forever. The problem is finding lessons nearby for reasonable prices. Or heck, at this point, any price. I’ve tried watching and trying to learn online, but I just don’t seem to learn much.
  • mommabear4315
    mommabear4315 Posts: 3,424 Member
    Something I’ve wanted to splurge in is some diamond earrings or I’ve always wanted to just roll in some glitter
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I'm thinking about trying to go a bit more meat free. I think I'd really struggle to go totally vegetarian or vegan, especially in a short space of time but I think I could manage adding a day a week, then 2. Over all I'm wanting to make my diet healthier so I think a couple days a week meat free and focussing more on fresh / raw whole foods is a good place to start. Just need to do It I suppose!
    That’s where I’ve been! I can’t go full vegan/vegetarian but I definitely have incorporated it more into my diet, especially when eating out. When at a new restaurant, I’ll try to find a vegan option to try something new and different.

I grew up eating meat like everyone else. Kabob was my staple food. I am almost entirely plant based now, with the only animal product I still eat being fish/shrimp once or twice a month. I love it and I love the options for vegan food here in Southern California.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    What's something new you've wanted to do/try, but for whatever reason, you just haven't gotten to it yet or you're apprehensive over it?

It might be mundane, but I want to try yoga and see if I can get into it, but the whole culture around it kinda puts me off.

Same, and same with going to a gym. I usually just run for exercise, but am curious about stuff you hear other people enjoying.

Holding me back mostly is that I usually have anxiety in crowded spaces, and it's unpredictable how bad it may get.

And surfing...I can't swim well, I'm scared of what lives and lays in the ocean...but always wanted to try it.

Omg....i would so love to try and surf.....but my extreme fear and love of sharks would have me searching for fins the whole time ....it sucks so much....do it for both of us beautiful girl!🤗😎🤘💜❤

A boyfriend taught me in my youth. It's fun, thrilling and just amps you up for the day. I was all about the lurking creatures of the deep too ... Only that dissipates when fear is replaced by the need to be in the water. Granted, he was in the water with me, as he had me tandem surf with him. Alternatively, you could wet your feet paddle boarding+/- ... Shark attacks are rare, it's the Barracudas we look out for. Remove all shiny trinkets, as those damnable creatures will surface to snatch it off you, limbs and all.

shiny trinkets are you talking about barracudas or monkeys? those damned monkeys in Panama go crazy for shiny objects. Wait maybe men are like monkeys as we like shiny dangerous objects.

Barracudas... I am unfamiliar with the monkeys of Panama. Are you referring to the monkey brand of trickery portrayed in Rear window @the Egyptian square?

Men do huh? We gals need to be leery of your kind too. Appreciate the heads up ... Got it, minimal to no shiny dangerous objects. :laugh: